1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Team Tournament in SoCal, Friday March 30!!

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Ladon, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    So far there's been a lot of hype for the Team Tournament to take place during Plague's VF5 Event, but the formation of the teams has been pretty random at best. Let's get our stuff together and decide what's gonna be who, and where! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

These are the confirmed teams:
    Norcal (1):Raoul, Srider, Ice9
    Norcal(2):Renzokuken, KTallguy, and Yosuke
    Team VF n00bs: Unsafe_Dan, Calijared, KoD
    Team Comic Stealth: LA Akira, Shangster, Ladon
    NYC: Denkai84, Shag, Konjou_Akira

There's another team that has been mentioned, but does not meet the requirement of having 3 people on a team:
    NO-NAME: castle, Matt_K
    Team JunoSect: Junosynth, TX Lion

These people have shown interest in the Team Tournament, but have not made a team as of yet:
    schadevf4, Namflow

These people are confirmed to come to the event, but they have not yet posted their interest in the Team Tournament!
    Hyun, Sikyo, SiLLyWiLLy, and ElBrisal73 (along with others from SoCal)

This doesn't have to be stressful, and it's not really about winning! I think this tournament has the possibility to be pretty cool, and it won't make the singles tourney the following night any less amazing.

So post your stuff![/size]

2. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Re: Team Tournament in SoCal, Friday April 30!!

To me people are making a bigger deal about this Team Tourney than it should be. I honestly dont care who Im teamed with put me with anyone.

3. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent

Umm..I thought the Team tourney was on March 30th.

Denkai and I represent NYC /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

4. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

every team seems 1 member short, maybe the cali members can split around to fill up the slots.

5. CaliJared

CaliJared Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who our 3rd person is, Team Noob is going to win. Bet it.

6. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

lol, Jared are you crazy or just trying to put me on the poor house? :p

I guess since KoD said he needed a team will put him on Team VF n00bs.

I guess then Yosuke+Namflow for JPN rapage?

Rest is a toss up.

7. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---

I'm up for whatever. How about SoCal's teams? Are there any confirmations? I'd like to have everything up as soon as possible so things can be organized.

The singles tourney doesn't need any setting up really, and it's not like it would kill you guys to organize a little.

In any case, I'm up for any team, since it's quite possible I'll be the only guy from Florida coming.

8. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak

I'd be honored to be on Team n00b. As for organization, I thought srider was running it?

9. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---

yeah, he is, I'm just trying to organize it a little.

10. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

To me, it seems will just figure out what to do when it comes around. There seems to be alot of things happening at once on that weekend.

11. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

If people don't figure out the teams by March 15th, then the team tournament will not happen. Just a reminder.

12. MechaShiva

MechaShiva Well-Known Member

Feel free to throw me into whatever team, just hopefully don't have to high expectations on my game :). Looking forward to this event, its getting close!

13. PhoenixDth

just play it by ear dude, no one likes imposed deadlines for a casual event. Cant really create teams, when there are still people hanging on the borderline of coming or not coming.

14. MrSlants

MrSlants Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind being on Team Discovery Channel

15. Pai_Garu

Sorry, the deadline will be enforced. Part of the fun in a team tournament is the team spirit aspect. Being put onto a team on the day of the event will take away this aspect and it will take away the will to win. No one will care about playing to win for people they just met for the first time on the day of the event.

The deadline being more than 1 week in advance is so people will at least know who they are playing with, and have communicated enough with each other to develop some sort of relationship, however shallow it may be. Still, that's better than meeting for the first time on the day of the event.

16. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

whos deciding on how the teams are being set up?

17. PhoenixDth

a days worth of meeting in person > months worth of talking to people online. Also some people are less vocal online that others. I dont see team spirit happening with the oddman out either way. The oddman out will always feel like the oddman out. Dont think a couple weeks of online chat is going to help.

18. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I agree with Alex here, not to be against the Team tournament cause I do want it to happen. But alot of SoCal guys as well as others haven't posted yet.

If you really want to organize I say we first set up the non-socal guys first since they usually post often and we can use SoCal players to fill in spots within those teams.

I think is sounds good.

19. Pai_Garu

Um... yeah people might not be vocal online... but you guys see each other in real life...

I will also have to disagree with the oddman out thing. Talking to someone even online days in advance makes you prepared psychologically for a team event. I think anyone who have never met me in real life would agree that there is already a mental image developed about me through the stuff I post or through my correspondences with people.

LA_Akira, teams are decided by people who enter. If you want to play in the Team Tournament, you are responsible for organizing the team that you will be a part of to enter the tournament.

Anyways, if there are not at least 8 teams (3 people per team) ready, then it's not going to happen. I don't think there will be enough people present for the SoCal event to warrant anything more than 8 teams.

There will not be any exceptions to the 3 people per team rule, and your team must come up with a team name at the time of entry.

20. PhoenixDth

Thats because you're a mod and an online presence on vfdc. No offense to schadevf4, but i dont think 2-3 weeks of online dialogue between me and him (if we teamed up) is going to inspire great team spirit anytime soon. Also you expect, that this method will fire people up competitively. Psychologically, i think this method backfires.

As a competitive gamer, it'll always be on the back of my mind that my teammates, whom I have never met before, might just absolutely suck. No offense again, but these thoughts will run through anyones head thats competitive enough.

You are basically asking players to make a leap of faith with a team of unknowns whose skill level wont be realized until, once again, the day they meet. Who knows, in meeting these people in real life, personalities might clash. You just never know. I just think asking for a commitment into the unknown is a bit demanding too much. Anyways its your event and your rules, this is probably my last say on things.