1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tech Traps in VF ?

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by droy900, Feb 27, 2018.

1. droy900

droy900 Member

So uhhh... I've been wondering for a short while about this, but does VF have tech traps similar to Tekken ?

2. Kruza

Kruza Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Kruza
    Oh yeah. There are certainly tech traps in VF.

Kruza

droy900 likes this.
  3. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

Did you have a certain character, move, or setup needed explaining?

droy900 likes this.
  4. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

They're tech traps but it's not quite like tekken. It's more around do they tech or do they not tech, if they don't tech, do they roll or not, then which way do they roll, then do they rising kick or not. VF's oki game is slower paced than the tekken oki game and they're is less risk overll involved. The person on the ground has a lot of defensive options that are all fairly safe compared to my understanding of tekken's oki game.

jimi Claymore and droy900 like this.
  5. droy900

droy900 Member

ye. I was messing around with Vanessa and noticed that one of her throws (OS hcbP+G) leaves you in a position where your face is up and feet are away and was wondering if you can catch them back turned when they wake up and bring in the hurt lol.
    I do realize that you're invincible on your wake up in VF but decided to ask in case there was some sick tech I could apply.

6. droy900

droy900 Member

Oh neat, didn't know that about VF and ye in Tekken there is much more risk involved since for example wake up kicks if read correctly are heavily punishable on top of how oppressive the game can be.

7. Tricky

Yeah VF is more about the OKI and less about just the teching from the ground. You need to use all the ground base options in VF because they're all useful almost all the time. In Tekken, you have more like one safe option to not get combo'd when you get up while in VF you'll have just one way as the offensive player to punish a wakeup. Like we can crush wake up kicks with any attack that does 21 or more damage but you have only 4 frames to land the technique. you can also punish wake up kicks by blocking and punishing with a 15 frame move, but that's only for kicks from backroll.

jimi Claymore and droy900 like this.
  8. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Plus there are the multiple wake up options Tekken has to keep in mind.

9. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Handspring, Cross chop, Chinese Kip up, Character Specific wake up attacks, low kick, mid kick etc.

10. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    You are mainly more susceptible to oki on wake up if you tech in place.

droy900 likes this.
  11. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Also VF has more options selects then Tekken ( a action that deals with multiple situations) when dealing with wake up attacks. For example. Let's say my El Blaze is knocks down your Vanessa face down feet towards. And I perform Blaze's [9][P][+][K] to crowd you which puts Blaze back turned. While back turned Blaze's well timed [K][+][G]will crush both mid and low rising kick.

12. Tricky

I'd call that a setup more so than an OS. An OS requires two separate attacks to come out based on what your opponent does automatically. What you described is a setup.

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    It really depends on how you define "trap". From your subsequent replies it appears that you're referring to situations that will guarantee a hit if the opponent techs the wrong way, and VF5FS certainly has this.

I invite you to read the wiki page On The Ground, and specifically the Face Up, Head Towards down position section. Here you'll see that if the opponent attempts an In-Place Fall Recovery (tech) then they are susceptible to an unblockable back hit. Read up on the other knockdown positions for their vulnerabilities or common properties that you might be able to exploit with your character. For example, certain knockdown positions result in your opponent's rising attack properties changing from full circular to half-or-non circular, which opens up the possibility for a successful evade, or reversals and sabakis to become a threat should your character possess them.

Further to these vulnerabilities, you might want to look into meaty attacks against opponents that tech. These can be considered "traps" in the sense that, when performed correctly in the right conditions, the opponent cannot evade the attack on wakeup and is forced to either guard or get hit trying anything else. Also, depending on the situation you can get meaty attacks to land against your opponent's side, yielding further frame bonus or guaranteed combo/follow-up opportunities.

Tricky, Kruza, Stl_Tim and 3 others like this.
  14. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    You know. Your right. That make much more sense.

Ares-olimpico likes this.
  15. droy900

droy900 Member

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'll definitely try to make use of the stuff I learned .