1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken 4 vs VF4? not really

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by swordsaint72, Apr 4, 2002.

1. swordsaint72

swordsaint72 Member

As a seasoned Tekken 4 player I d like the say VF4's Kumite mode is the best fighting game mode peroid. I got tekken 4 last night, guess what I'm still playing Kuimite. I hope sega expands on this "Kumite" phenomenon.

2. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

err....what's that got to do with Tekken? do you not realise VF4 is a "fighting game?".

3. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

I am starting to think that Kumite definitely is a candidate for the dumbest "fighting game" mode so far created. It looked good on paper but it now caused an army of scrubs to waste bandwidth swinging their ranks around. To the original poster: I can't imagine that you are actually a seasoned Tekken4 player if you think it's more fun to beat dumb CPU in Kumite than playing TK4 against other _human_ players.

4. Nemesis02

Nemesis02 Well-Known Member

well don;t worry swordsaint72 I agree with you. Kumite is by far the best fighting option available, in my opinion.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

It looked good on paper but it now caused an army of scrubs to waste bandwidth swinging their ranks around.

True in a way... I haven't bothered playing Kumite since a week and a half after the Japanese release.

BUT, you have to admit that Kumite does entice a fair number of new players to play VF4, and heck, it was at least part of the reason that PS2 VF4 was ranked highly in almost every gaming mag or website (which in turn heightens overall awareness of the game), so maybe there's a trickle down effect somewhere and some of these players who might otherwise be turned off by VF4 remain hooked on the game, and might even outgrow Kumite and go around searching for real competition...

6. swordsaint72

swordsaint72 Member

I agree, but i usually wind up playing alone most of the time.
    Maybe i should have said the best single player mode of anyfighting game. Makes me wish tekken had a kumite mode.
    I also am a fan of hyper increased difficulty. Still i wish it was harder still. That goes the same for tekken.

7. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

true; good competition and gameplay itself is always top priority, but extras such as this always help bridge the gap between the newbie and the game. i imagined a lot more non-fighting-game-veteran people bought soul calibur for the DC than VF3tb for the DC because it had extras and stuff. of course, massive FAQs like the one i wrote up on Akira also help. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Mad_Beef

Mad_Beef Member

for single player yes it is a great idea ofcourse nothing beats the fun of playing a real person. I cant even imagine how many times I have beaten tekken 3 and TTT in the arcade and at home, kumite serves its pupose well for someone like me cause almost all of my friends don't play fighting games so the only real human comp i can get in fighting games is at my local arcade and evn then it is just luck if anyone will be there worth playing there are always scrubs to whip but thats no fun well sometimes /versus/images/icons/smile.gif the A.I. in vf4 is by far the best of any fighting game and it does its best against humans many of the other fighting gameshave gotten such bad patterns it really becomes stupid playing the computer cause it is tough not to exploit the computer patterns no matter how hard u try. I hope all other console fighting games learn from this and put some sort of kumite mode in there games as well.

masterpo likes this.
  9. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Kumite mode was made for 1 reason IMHO -- to give people a way to practice at home w/o getting their dan-level knocked down in the arcades. How fun can it be just beating the same 13 characters in the same order, time after time?

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The real value of Kumite, for me, is not having to play a lousy CPU Lion and Lei Fei when you just feel like playing and when there's no human competition around you. Of course, you have to play several hundred matches with lousy CPU before you can get there....

I really wish Sega would have an Expert EXPERT mode. I mean, all the CPU characters jacked up to the highest level. Sega can even call it "CPU Cheating" difficulty for all I care. You know how when you're on a long win streak, you're playing against a CPU emperor, and you're 2-0 rounds up? The CPU seems to play like a monster--I wish they'd have a mode that you can play in right away that has this difficulty level constantly and for all characters.

11. ktj

ktj Member

Have you noticed that most of the Kumite opponents are the same?

The should have merged the AI mode with the Kumite mode. They went to the trouble of creating the AI mode so the players can create a personalized AI.

Using the same logic, they could have given each Kumite opponent more personality. Even better, capture fighting styles from the arcade over their little network.

12. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i'd say VF2 had by FAR the best cpu with even an EXERT mode just to be even more rock solid and the ranking mode!? sheesh!

anywayz, i've had enough of the tekken comparisons to last me a life time... without one game, the other could not come as far as the other IMO, they both learn from each other which compliment each other rather than compete.. besides, i personally think the tekken force mode was the greatest invention implicated into any kind of 3D fighting game with that kind of tech... they deserve more credit than they get for definate.

it's funny how without VF4, half the crowd would'nt even know what the bloody series is, last time i checked, it was all tekken and no VF... what happened all of a sudden?

13. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

if you want to play "tekken force mode" just go out and buy something like streets of rage its the same thing just with the charactors from tekken and it doesnt even have a story line and least make up something like docotor B is trying to blow up the world or something. Then maybe it will be fun and im hoping they change it for tekken 4