1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken 4

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: tekken at a high level

TTT2?......:|

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

TTT2, not likely, or ever to come out..

3. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

Tetsuo said : "Tekken is incredibly unbalanced. Guarenteed strings to very unbalanced characters and much more."

Then he went on to list examples of why he thought so. From the examples I read, it's obvious to me that you didn't play Tekken much.....at least nowhere near a competitive level.

For instance, the hopover technique you mentioned with Law is OLD and rarely works now unless you really know how to set it up so that your opponent rises with an attack. If you do it out of the blue, you'll get nothing for your efforts but a boot to the face. And even if it does work, it's much more deadly with Jin or Ogre than it is with Law.

Other stuff like Anna's uf+1,3 guaranteeing a f+1+2....that is only true on counterhit. In fact, many of these "guaranteed" strings that you are probably thinking about are most likely only guaranteed on counterhit. Tekken emphasizes a LOT on counterhitting, which is good for strategy and mindgames--you HAVE to set-up your attacks in order to trap your opponent into eating a counterhit (this is stylish and respectable play)--and counterhits do the real damage and open up more possibilities. If you really want to know what's CHEAP, however, then talk about things that really ARE cheap such as electric WGFs, twin pistons, and Ogre okizeme games.

The thing is about TTT though, is that even to be cheap you have to know a lot about the game and work hard to get to that level. Scrubs ALWAYS get killed in TTT contrary to popular belief. No way in hell that somebody who mashes will EVER get a single win against someone who can properly space and has good timing. There is a reason why Jang Iksu went undefeated in his Japan tour; because he plays 10 hours a day with the best competition in Korea. TTT is a game that takes a great deal of skill....any seasoned Tekken pro can tell you that.

Tekken Tag was the best fighting game I've played. It was flawed I admit; with only a handful of characters really dominating high level play (this ended up changing attitude about the game and killing the strategy). However, it was so fun that I kept playing it despite these shortcomings. I don't think that it deserves all the bashing it's getting....there's a reason why the game was so popular over here AND overseas.

Tekken 4, however, is a different story. Namco killed the beauty of the setup and mind game. Now even scrubs can use simple patterns and beat seasoned vets. That's why we are making the transition to VF--NOT because Tekken has always sucked and we didn't realize all this time how much better VF was. After all, if Tekken 4 was as good as TTT, then I wouldn't be on this forum today.