1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken 5 w/Hori Stick Dropped to $30!

Discussion in 'Console' started by Mr_Frankie, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

[​IMG]

Okay, big news for all of those in need of an arcade stick. Granted, it's not as 'perfect' as modding an arcade stick, but, I personally love this arcade stick. I bought this package the day it came out (needed a replacement to the amazing-garbage quality shadowblade), and I belive it was worth it's original price. Great game (not as good as VF obviously), and great stick.

I also heard this stick is easily moddable (not an expert), and also I heard that the joystick is a little too loose for some people (dosen't bug me though).

It dropped at EBGames/Gamestop.

Also note, make sure you inspect it, since used is hard to tell (I didn't notice until I opened it, but the stick was new, so I was fine with that).

Happy Hunting! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I also recommend this stick. Only because it is the only other in-store hori stick (along with the DOA4 stick) that can be purchased domestically.

3. IronFists

IronFists Member

is this stick good for street fighter 3rd strike? just a question.

4. Mr_Frankie

Mr_Frankie Active Member

I'd say so. I don't exactly play Street Fighter Anniv. but, I do play alot of Capcom Vs. SNK Pro & 2, and I have no trouble at all. Definitly a great first stick for anyone. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Martial

Martial New Member

none of the gamestop/eb games has it aroun my town =[ only the nuby dragonball z stick.

6. powerincarnate

powerincarnate Well-Known Member

Well, I finally found out about that deal a few days ago since I haven't been on the board too often, or any of the other similar fighting game boards. With the excitement around VF5, I returned. So I decided to see if I'm lucky and can get it for 30 bucks. After I called a few ebgames and gamestop, the one in the Nanuet Mall in NY said they had one and they too was shocked it was 30 bucks. So I confirmed that they had one and they said yes. I had to do something so I didn't get to the store for like 4 hours later, well, A. the cashier had no idea what I was talking about, and I'm guessing that the guy who worked in the morning saw the price was that cheap, and bought it himself. Then I went hunting by calling litterally 15 or so gamestops, EBgames or software ect all over Rockland, Westchester and Jersey. I finally called up a place in Jersey, they were sold out, But he said that last time he was in Hackensack, he saw 2 of them at the store there. Low and Behold they did. I went today with my friend. Bought one, he got jealous, and he bought one as well and that's the story. So, Some of the stores still have them, and most of the time it's in the back of the store, so keep trying, and don't be afraid to call some 15 or so local stores to finally get it.

PS... Since today is the first day of PS3 preorders, I pushed my luck by asking if they were taking them. Guy said, Tons of people were lined up since the wee ours of this morning and they've sold out of their allocation of preorders within minutes.

7. LM_Akira

LM_Akira Well-Known Member

I got one of these sticks a while back from ebay. First thing I should point out is that although it looks very similar to a HRAP at first glance, it really isn't as good as it: Cheaper parts, cheaply put together, less sturdy...however it's relatively simple to mod so that's not a major issue.

The actual stick on mine had serious problems tho as if you pressed a direction and then let go of the stick (e.g. parrying in 3S, wavedashing in Tekken, inputing TEs in VF) it was so loose it would spring back and register a motion in the other direction. Technically this made wavedashing impossible since you're doing a motion, letting the the stick go thru neutral and then cancelling it with f or b. If you tried it on this stick, when you let the stick go through neutral it would in fact register b and cancel the wavedash instantly (what you don't want).

However, I've played some on some other T5 Hori sticks and they seem ok.

I opted to put a new Sanwa JLF stick into mine instead and the difference is huge. It's simple to fit, and soldering the wires up is hassle free. Don't know what Sanwa parts cost in the US but here in the UK I can get sticks for £12 so it's not bad. I didn't like the buttons either, they felt very hard and tough compared to SC2 Hori buttons so I fitted Sanwa buttons as well. That's a bit of a pain as the T5 Hori buttons are smaller and shaped differently to standard 30mm Sanwas so you need to file down each hole. You also need to connect the buttons to the PCB with either separate wires or a separate PCB (you can bend prongs and fit them in but that's nasty). Fitting the buttons took about 2 hours start to finish but the overall stick is excellent now and has better working parts than a standard HRAP (HRAPs have Sanwa JLF sticks but standard Hori buttons).

Overall at this price it's hard to complain about the stick and it's a great beginners stick because it's so big and substantial like an arcade cab, however be wary of how the stick feels. If you're feeling adventurous it's straight forward to mod and the stick feels much much improved after doing so.

8. tribaL

tribaL Well-Known Member

i bought this when it was $40 a couple of months ago. my stick is pretty good, although i'm not entirely used to it still.