1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken 8 has raised the bar

Discussion in 'General' started by shad, Sep 21, 2022.

1. shad

shad Well-Known Member

PSN:
    agent__cube
    XBL:
    doct0r cube
    So far I 've been quite impressed by the recent footages of Tekken 8.

Tekken 8 graphics look amazing : Waves breacking against the rift, clothes slapping and shaking because of the wind, particules of water ejecting dynamicaly when a character get hit, rain water sliding on the faces, etc.

Even the hits spark seem to fit naturaly with the models and the background like they're were part of the scene and doesn't seem like a additional mark layer anymore (quite the opposite of sf6 approach). There is also a lot others cool things that have hit my interest like the block animation detection, i hope it's really part of the game.

Tekken 8 use unreal engine 5 and it's suprising because it was stated for a long time unreal engine 4 would be used, so very welcome twist from bamco developers ! Also, the game seems optimized especially for curren gen (ps5, Xbox series, pc) so Tekken 8 won't hold back its graphics cause of the old gen. I wish it could encourage Sega to not be greedy and use the most advanced setup (system, engine, production value) to develop the best future VF possible and compete decently (for good sake no cross gen please!). An high value next gen VF could be incredibly worth for Sega to demonstrate the skill of their developpement studios.

It's confirm that RGG will develop next games with Unreal engine 5. The first footage of Like a dragon 8 seems a bit underwelming compared to Tekken 8 graphics (very ps4dish impression with the static and rough hairs, not so great lightning, etc.) but hey let's presume it's early progress). :

At least it's already quasi guaranted that the sequel of VF5 wil be developed on Unreal engine 5. Hopefully the game is already in progress on a secret name...

https://www.ign.com/articles/yakuza-dragon-engine-unreal-engine-5-masayoshi-yokoyama

So what's your impressions on Tekken 8 and how it shakes VF future project for you ?

GustavoHeisenberg, Shinobi and SSfox like this.
  2. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

I'm a Tekken fan, and gotta say i was impressed, even tho i knew the game is gonna look cool, but it looks incredible. I haven't been this impress that much w a Tekken game graphics and tech wise since T5.

About VF6 it may push them to go even further (it's always nice to have competition), tho i expect VF6 to look dope nonetheless, as VF5 and VF4 on their era. But i'm specially curious about what type of innovation VF6 will bring.

Something i'm quite sure (and i know it's gonna sound controversial), is that VF6 will have supers, now the question is how it will be implemented.

Also VF6 will benefits Tekken imo, to me Tekken has been the best and at its peak overall quality wise at the time where VF was around.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    GustavoHeisenberg and Shinobi like this.
  3. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Spiros_1978
    Tekken 8 is a very good looking game. Smooth and beautiful. I'm sure it's going to be a real eye candy and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Namco used the same polygon models since Tekken 5, so it's nice to see the have a bigger budget to make T8. It's about time for Tekken to look like a next gen game.

Unlike Tekken 8, Like a Dragon 8 is a cross-gen game and a big RPG, so you can't really compare them, graphics wise. That being said, I'm very happy that RGGS are about to embrace UE5 and I do hope that SEGA will give them the budget to make VF6 one of the best looking fighting games.

SSfox and GustavoHeisenberg like this.
  4. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

5. RobHimself

RobHimself Member Gold Supporter

I won't be deceived by the fancy graphics when the gameplay underneath looks exactly like Tekken 7.

beanboy and Shinobi like this.
  6. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

If VF developers aren't available anymore who's going to make it? A team that never made a fighting game before? I can't imagine them getting a big budget either.

Tekken 8 is coming off the back of the great success they had with T7 so it's likely going to have very high production values. Soul Calibur 6 had a shoestring budget due to how unsuccessful SC5 was and it really showed.

Street Fighter 6 is also looking really good in both graphics and features. I just can't see a potential VF6 being able to compete on the level of those games because Sega don't have the belief in the game nor are they the Sega of old.

7. GustavoHeisenberg

Bruh Tekken is Tekken, I really don't know how anyone could hope for any change

beanboy likes this.
  8. GustavoHeisenberg

Wait did AM2 fold????????

9. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Isn't this what VF5:ES was? To see if another team could port or work on a VF game? They, the Yakuza team, basically remade VF5FS in a different engine. Likely in anticipation for VF6.

Honestly I would like to see them port VF3TB and VF4FT from arcades to consoles with new tutorials and single player and online modes rather than make VF6 at this point. They could probably handle a project like that rather easily based on what they did with VF5:ES.

If VF6 plays like VF5FS more than VF3 or VF4 I cannot say that I will be enthused either.
    I would almost prefer at this point if Sega sold the VF franchise to another company. It is extremely frustrating being a VF fan at this point. Especially a long time fan. This franchise is more punishment than enjoyment.

GustavoHeisenberg and -nero- like this.
  10. nou

nou Well-Known Member

No. They are still there. It's still the same Sega, just that the old developers have moved to higher positions a long while ago.

I'm curious about UE5 as well, so far it's just LAD:Ishin that is using UE5 as a test bed. VF5US and Lost Judgement showed Sega finally tamed the Dragon Engine, but if the devs have an easier time with it, let them go ham.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  11. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

The Tekken 8 trailer looks impressive, but honestly it looks like how a late PS4 game, or how PS4 games should look. I was actually expecting Tekken 7, to look like how Tekken 8 looks.

Also, the entire fight takes place in a dark enviroment, and it's very easy to make something look realistic, in a dark 3d scene. If they show off a fight in a stage, with brightness and lots of colours, then we can fully determine, if they raised the bar graphically.

As for gameplay, based on what we saw in the trailer, if we are to go by what we saw, nothing has really improved combat wise. But the good news for Tekken fans, is that it's still, arcadey over the top Tekken.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  12. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Other than VF4Evo the Virtua Tennis games are an example of Sega porting an arcade game to console and adding some really good features to the single player. A lot of their arcade ports lacked extra features but the VT series was brilliant. In depth lots of unlockables and great fun.

beanboy likes this.
  13. RobHimself

RobHimself Member Gold Supporter

True but if it's going to be the same old shit, get rid of all the superfluous garbage that Tekken 7 has.

ToyDingo likes this.
  14. GustavoHeisenberg

It doesn't look like a late ps4 game but I guess maybe your expectations were too high. Mortal Kombat 11 is still the graphical magnum opus in fighting games for the generation

15. GustavoHeisenberg

I like Tekken 7's weird aesthetic but I don't take Tekken seriously

beanboy and Shinobi like this.
  16. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Mortal Kombat the worst looking animations of any fighter though.

RobHimself and GustavoHeisenberg like this.
  17. ICHIBANin10000

ICHIBANin10000 Well-Known Member

Bring back Blade Raven or we riot.

18. GustavoHeisenberg

110% agree with you but graphics wise it's the magnum opus for visuals in the PSBONE generation

19. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

Animations are so much more important than pure graphics in a FG without the doubt, of course it's always the best ideal to have both course.

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.