1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken and VF players

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by hananokeiji, May 9, 2002.

1. hananokeiji

hananokeiji Well-Known Member

Sorry if this had been discussed before, but i am wondering whether any Top VFers are also Top players in Tekken.

-------

2. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

with all regards to your harmless topic, you might get better answers at the <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=tecmo>General forum</a>..

to stay on topic, i think the uk champion of tekken 3 was also superior at VF3tb, way back.... a friend of mine told me he used to appear at london's namco wonderpark before it went down.. that's all i know.

3. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Shinz, probably the most popular and famouse korean VF player, is also famous tekken tag player. Allow me to explain. There was a period of time when VF3 was not being played at all pretty much anywhere in the world(except Japan, they never stop). Shinz needed something to do so he picked up Tekken Tag. In the process he invented hworangs crazy leg movement, skyrocketing hworang to top tier status. goes to show that if your good, your good for a reason.

4. NeverEnd

NeverEnd Member

my friend said at one of the tekken tag tournaments he entered in Kali, Alex Valle of street fighter fame took the tournament.

5. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I've read that Ryan Hart (or is it Heart?) was a top level Tekken Tag player and VF3 player.

6. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Bay Area Tekken and VF Players Rock

Alex Valle has gotten his share of props at the TZ. This is my first time hearing about him at VFDC. I've always considered tragic a Tekken legend and his Sarah and Kage videos have to give him credit toward being at least a good VF player. I think those Bay Area brothers have a brain trust up there. They can bring the heat! Yo SoCal givin' up some love for NorCal... Wassup!

7. Akebono

Akebono Well-Known Member

Ryan hart got 3rd place at the tekken tag world championships. Iron monkey fist told me this ghostdog. He play VF as well and is very good.

8. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

Valle doesn't play VF last I heard. Aside from Tekken, he has no transferrable abilites in 3d fighting at all. (Much like most top 2d fighting game players.)

9. PlugAndChug

PlugAndChug Well-Known Member

I don't know if Valle plays VF4, but he did play VF3. I remember seeing him win a tournament in Vegas a couple years back against Choi (another good SF player) in the finals.

10. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    So it it is possible for people other than me and my brother to play Tekken and VF and do well at both. Everybody I know likes one and hates the other, bunch of lame-o's if you ask me.

Now that i've read the above statements, i have alot of respect for Alex Valle cuz now i truly know he has skills not only in Street Fighter and Tekken but also in Virtua Fighter. I thought people like that didn't exist aside from me my bro and a hand full of other people i talk to on the net.

11. hananokeiji

Great to know that there are people out there who likes to play tekken and VF. Like Spinmaster mentioned, there are too many players out there only concerned about comparing which game is better, instead of trying to master both. (as for myself, had been playing tekken since tekken 1, but now doing full time VF after tekken 4 came out since the game became so broken)

I never knew that master Shinz is also a player of TTT. that is nice to hear. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif would really want to see his moves and matches in TTT too. :p

12. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I've never liked Tekken -- call me weird. DOA3 is pretty fun, but I consider it mindless agression compared to VF4... not saying there's no strategy, I just don't play it enough to form one.

13. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

sorry dude, ur weird ^_^

<response to everyone else> bah, comparing series never helped anyone, you just plainly miss out on the other... i too play both, (still much better at VF though) it just so happens that both series gained my respect.

14. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

For sure, Alex Valle did play VF3. Not saying he was traveling around to play it or anything like that, but I've actually had chats with him regarding the game. I used to chat with him on #vfhome.

In any case, I know that he liked/likes VF3. No idea what his status is/was with VF1 or VF2. However, I think someone told me he doesn't really like VF4?

As for his abilities in VF3, I didn't hear much about them. Just that he did play VF3 quite a bit.

-Chanchai

15. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    bare_knuckle, you are totally right! They totally miss out on the other. Its so childish the way some people are when it comes to games. It makes me wonder why people will find a game or series or anything for that matter they like then when there is another good game/series/whatever equal to it they automatically bash it? It applies the Capcom and SNK fans, Star Trek and Star Wwars fans, Marvel and DC fans, 2d and 3d fans etc. It just doesn't make any sense at all, not one bit. Its actually crazy if you ask me. If anything they should like both along with their favorite series instead of hating it.

I used to be that way a long time ago but i realised it was foolish. Back when VF2 was out I saw a new game called "tekken". I was like "what a VF wannabe, the characters look lame as hell too". Then one day I played Tekken 2 and was awestruck! I soon realized that Tekken was a not a VF wannabe and was actually quite different. Then i dropped that mentality thank goodness. I was only 13-14 back then so it was understandable cuz i was immature but you've got grown ass people doing that, bunch of wierdos.

16. xed

xed New Member

I haven't had a chance to play VF (ever), but am a veteren at Tekken. Are the games that different? I realy only like the "easy to learn, hard to master" type games, but I have yet to find out if VF fits under this bill.

17. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Hyun's <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_tekken_faq_hyun.txt>Starting Guide for Tekken Players</a> is a good place to start becoming familiar with the differences (and similarities) between Tekken and VF.

18. hananokeiji

To tell you the truth, I am a tekken veteran as well, and i used to hate pressing G for guard. (since i was a full time 2D fighting game scrub. lol) But now, i really appreciate the G cancel a lot, which opens up a whole new area of gameplay.

Actually, it is not that hard to get used to the VF system if you are a tekken player. (i think it should go vice versa). if you have ps2, the trial training does help a lot. And it is lucky for me to be able to get a heck load of VF competition here in asia, which really improves my gameplay in a short period of time. I hate to say it, i am play VF everyday while my T4 is collecting dust. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

well, i hope soulcalibur 2 will be awesome too. and a new snk fighting game is coming out soon. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif darn.... i play too many games.....

-----------

19. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

What SNK game is comming out? I thought they went out of Bid'ness or something.

20. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

SNK is back to buisness (under PlayMore company). There should be KOF 2001 (on PC, summer), KOF 2000 (DC), new Power Instinct, Rage of Dragons (kinda sequel to Double Dragon - but now "1on1" fighter), KOF 2002 and SNK VS CAPCOM (not CvS, but SvC!). Maybye there will be also ports of KOF 2000 and KOF 2001 for PlayStation 2.