1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken and VF players

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by hananokeiji, May 9, 2002.

1. ONISTOMPA

ONISTOMPA Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that you're giving it a shot man. You won't regret it. Don't compare too much. Both games have similarities, but I think they have a their uniqe feel. I've always played both, and they're equally fun. Like replicant said, Paul & Jin are good to start off with, they both do sick damage and are easy to learn. Try to get the old games if you wanna know more about the storyline, you'll love it. It's crazy man believe me.

2. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

i think the tekken story is pretty weak and incoherent, VF obviously worse =P, snk takes top honors for fighting game storyline attempt.

387 Fatal Fury Faq 656k KOF story FAQ

Yes they both intertwine making it almost a meg of sheer text in story o_O

3. replicant

replicant Well-Known Member

While I agree that the Tekken story may be a bit weak. I don't see how it is incoherant. Elaborate please.

4. martialfanatic

martialfanatic Well-Known Member

Neither storyline has bragging rights...especially since T4 was released. People dogg VF's storyline but I must say one thing...

It is refreshing to see different people winning the tournament each installment. How many times will Namco come up with creative ways to screw Paul /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh well. I guess him coming so close yet never winning adds some comedy.

5. PhoenixDth

panda, alex, roger,
    really dont have any real purpose

some storys are really loose ended like kunimitsu, anna, and ganryu. The game focuses waaay too heavily on the mishimas and loses balance in the story telling process.

What i find really cool about the Fatal Fury to KOF storyline was that the hero changed twice. Started with Terry Bogard, to Kyo, to K' (k-dash). And with the NEST story arc now complete, it looks like they're going to change the main character again. Many speculate to kensou vs lin o_O.

6. replicant

Alex and Roger were gimmick characters like Gon and Dr. Boskonavitch.
    Panda is the pet of Xiaoyu.
    Ganryu was in the tournament to prove his love to Michelle Chang.
    Kunimitsu is from a rival ninja clan and is suppose to kill Yoshimitsu.
    Anna is the debutante sister of Nina and especially jealous of her.

7. PhoenixDth

see the fact is that it doesnt go much farther than there, its reasons to be in the tournament, not much story thereafter.

8. replicant

The story of tekken unfortunately isn't fully given to the consumer when you purchase the games. It's spread out in short stories, strat write ups, mentions from developers and creators, etc. so it's hard to nail down. Catlord from TZ usually has a website up related to Tekken writings both official and fanfic, but it's down now for redesign. The overall emphasis of the Tekken story is about the Mishima family history and their association with the ancient fighting spirit known as Tekken. Rage Mishima who by history is the first of the Mishima bloodline discovered Tekken and in hopes of great power surrendered his soul to him and became the emissary of Tekken. The tournaments are used to try and establish power over the Mishima Zaibatsu and at the same time to power Tekken so it can regain it's form again. Jinpachi Mishima (Heihachi's father) is the one who started the original tournaments in hopes of helping Tekken, honoring his bloodline, and seeing Heihachi victorious in the field of battle. Jinpachi died and Heihachi became the heir to it all. The entrants through all 4 recent tournaments have backgrounds and stories as well, but they are briefly alluded to in the game guides. Some of the stories are pretty silly and others are serious. I can't give you a link at the moment to the histories, but if you have a specific character you are interested in let me know. I know most of it by heart, since I have been a Tekken nerd for years.

9. ONISTOMPA

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

i think the tekken story is pretty weak and incoherent, VF obviously worse =P, snk takes top honors for fighting game storyline attempt.

387 Fatal Fury Faq 656k KOF story FAQ

Yes they both intertwine making it almost a meg of sheer text in story o_O

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa ! Whoa ! Whoa ! Sorry about that guys, I should of said the CG endings instead of storyline, my bad.

I also like the KOFs storyline but whether it's better than Tekkens, is debatable. Since when different main characters or different tournament winners = better storyline ? In T1 the main character was Kaz, T2 it was Hei, T3 it was Jin, and in T4 it's Kaz again. The main story is about the Mishima family. Anyway, I agree that the storyline is weak but lets remember guys, it's a fighting game. And I think that thanks to the CG endings Namco found a good way to keep people interested, if KOF would of had CGs, heck, even if VF would of had CG endings who knows, I probably would of prefered their storylines. The only reason I suggest people to get the old games, is because they might get confused with the T4 story (Kazuyas return, Devil gene, Steve Fox...) No, they will get confused.

Just a suggestion. but if some people don't care, then I'm totally fine with that.

10. replicant

Vuja de!

11. ONISTOMPA

I don't know what the hell happened ! /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

12. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Daaayum, this mofo is from way back in the day. Somebody dug deep!

13. PhoenixDth

[ QUOTE ]
    Since when different main characters or different tournament winners = better storyline ?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm i never said = better story line, i just said its really cool that a company would take risks to set back their main character and introduce a whole new set of characters as the main. Capcom stop being conservative with ryu and ken =P.

Anyhow VF has the right idea, stop wasting resources on story and more on gameplay, because its the fighting that matters.

14. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

replicant: sorry just wanted to correct you on one fact and that is that in tekken's throw system, you can only buffer ONE escape when you're being thrown. you CANNOT buffer multiple escapes in tekken (ANY tekken).

if that was true, throws would be useless in tekken, because they're only three escapes predominantly to start with and because you're breaking a throw at the point of being thrown, unlike in VF where you normally have to buffer the escape before you're thrown (its extremely hard to escape throws on reaction in VF and not really a reliable strategy unless you're great at reading ur opponent). i think the 3+4 escape only applies to kings qcf+1 throw, and you have all the time in the world to enter that particular escape.

in tekken, only the the first button you pressed will be counted towards the escape. that means that if you were being thrown and you quickly pressed RP, LP, LP+RP, the game would register RP as your escape button and if your opponent was throwing you with something that required another escape button, you would get thrown. test this out in any tekken game and ask any known player at TZ for confirmation (castel, anybody from cali, etc).

the reason koreans are so good at throw breaks is because their top players are usually able to recognize the animation before the throw (the arm which leads indicates the escape button as i'm sure you well know. a RP escape throw will involve a whiffed throw animation where the character has his right arm stretched further then the left arm), plus with the exception of a select few throws like madaxes and kings GS, you have a fair amount of time to enter that one escape for most throws, especially the basic ones, hence allowing the koreans to enter the appropriate escape in time (however no top player, be it iksuu or maddog, can escape throws all the time: in the heat of battle the reactions required to do that are inhuman and thus, not possible IMO).

15. ONISTOMPA

[ QUOTE ]
    PhoenixDth said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Since when different main characters or different tournament winners = better storyline ?

[/ QUOTE ]

umm i never said = better story line, i just said its really cool that a company would take risks to set back their main character and introduce a whole new set of characters as the main. Capcom stop being conservative with ryu and ken =P.

Anyhow VF has the right idea, stop wasting resources on story and more on gameplay, because its the fighting that matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they should focus more on the gameplay, but there's nothing wrong with giving the fans little bonuses. VF gives it fans kumite items (has nothing to do with gameplay though) and Tekken gives its fans a storyline with CG endings (nothing to do with gameplay). The team in charge of the storyline as nothing to do with the team in charge of the gameplay. But I agree that the main focus should be on the fighting engine.