1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken and Virtua Fighter with similar fighting styles...

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by pinoy929, May 21, 2002.

1. pinoy929

pinoy929 Member

Has anyone noticed how Tekken 4 and Virtua Fighter 4 use the same fighting styles? I mean, look at Lei Fei and Julia. If you look closely, some of their moves are exactly the same, hence possibly both of them are using the same fighting styles. Other instances:

Craig Murdock and Vanessa
    King and Wolf (Obviously)
    Paul and Akira
    Kage and Yoshimitsu

Any others?

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Well, that's because they ARE using the same styles. Craig is a bit truer to vale tudo fighting than Vanessa, but then again, she's got an entire muay thai arsenal as well. Paul copies off Akira, but isn't grounded in a real fighting style AFAIK, while Lei and Julia are different techniques altogether. Kage and Yoshi's only similarities are the ninja moves (Kage's jujitsu style isn't anything like Yoshi's stuff).

3. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

i disagree with lei fei and julia having the same style, first of all leifei uses shaolin, and shaolin five types of kung-fu properly mixed together, tiger, dragon,monkey,crane, and another one i forgot, julia did not show any shaolin technique whatsoever in tekken, example notice how lei fei both has an open palm closed fist punches, all af julia's punches are closed fist, how ever law and jacky have the same style they're both jeet kune do masters, and for wolf and king their both wrestlers, but for any one else i dont think so, most of the fighting styles in tekken are mixed techniques no one even heard of, example: nina and anna's assasin martial arts based on judo and aikido, mishima karate, karate i know but mishima karate? kazama self defense, oh also julia's technique is a mix of shinirokugo - ken and hakkyoku - ken (hakkyoku - ken is akira's style) so she's very different from lei fei, another is advanced bear fighting (i bet you know who uses this), another point is vale - tudo is different from kick boxing, because vale tudo is far more advanced, and lastly notice that VF4 never made used of taekwondo and capoera (african fighting technique), for reasons i do not know, tekken and VF4 are very different in techniques, the only reason they look the same is for example some throws in judo are the same with the trows on aikido, some kicks in taekwondo are the same with jeet kune do, so at one point they look similar but not the same.

4. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

5 animal form is based off tiger, crane, snake, leopard and dragon. Other animal styles are also part of shaolin repertoire but are not "core" ( i.e. Pheonix, Monkey, Tang Lang, Drunken, Eagle, etc. ).

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

JKD is more of a system of training than a style.

6. death_raven

training is part of EVERY martial arts, jeet kune do isnt a system of training,but it has A system of training, just like any martial arts, its a style that bruce lee invented because he believed a lot of the other techniques had a lot of flaws so he made JKD with filterized practical techniques to minimize flaws, thats why if you notice JKD Bruce lee style there's a lot of confusing moves wher you think he's giving a punch but he's really gonna kick. where do you think tae kwon do was derived from? tae kwon do meaning kick punch application, a technique which mostly requires kick, with a few punches excluding back fist punches, anyways the kicks that tae kwon do uses were derived from JKD, so if JKD is just a system of training then nothing can be derived from it

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

.....what's tekken?, who's yoshimitsu? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. pinoy929

pinoy929 Member

Try doing Lei-Fei's P+K in a certain stance where you can charge the move and Julia's F,F +RP. The way they do those moves look exactly alike. Also, Julia's SS+LK, RK and Lei-Fei's counter stance + K, K looks alike too. Just a mere coincidence, I suppose.

9. death_raven

well like i said, most techniques have same punches and kicks.

10. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

Tae Kwon Do derived from JKD?!

That's the first time I hear something like that... /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif

Tae Kwon Do is derived from several century old Korean martial arts like Tae Kyun. And it is older than JKD so it could never be derived from JKD!

Tae Kwon Do means litterally the way of Punch and Kick and standard kickboxing (not Muay Thai) is derived from this style.

Anyway, as I understand, JKD is more of a philosophy than a martial art. The basic idea is to take the techniques that work best with you and dump the rest.

That's why Jacky is my favorite JKD character in a fighting game, because he's not just a Bruce-Lee rip-off but is a good depiction of a JKD practitioner.
    Same goes for Sarah ^_^

11. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

TKD also has roots in Hwa Rang Do, another ancient Korean martial art (yes, the Hwarang of Tekken, bears the same name).

Where on earth are you getting this TKD derived from JKD business? Uhm, JKD is from this particular century....

That said, I wish there was a TKD/HWD practioner in VF.

12. death_raven

i'm sorry but there is no muay thai in tae kwon do, i've trained since five under a person from korea, and he thought me its history (where it was derived from) along with its technique, so i know what i'm talking about, and to really say generally most of chinese kung-fu were the forefathers of most fighting styles there is.

13. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

I never said that there was Muay Thai in TKD.
    I just said that kick boxing was derived from TKD...

I was only replying to this sentence that shocked me:

"anyways the kicks that tae kwon do uses were derived from JKD, so if JKD is just a system of training then nothing can be derived from it "

Hwoarang Do is a martial art developed from the Hwoarang group (it was a group of young men that went to learn military techniques in a neighboring country, I don't remember the date, but it is about 1500-2000 years ago) and yes it is also a martial art used in creating TKD.

Besides in the Tekken 3 intro, Hwoarang practices Hwoarang tull (tull means kata in North Korean) and he practices ITF style.

Anyway I'd also love to see a TKD practionner ^_^

14. death_raven

ok ok lets start clearing things out.

from what my sensei told me ( i'm taking his word for it, but im not saying its the general origin, im just taking his word for it) tae kwon do originated from an old korean style, not sure what name that is, i've recently heard its back and named hua wrhang do, which have a much deadlier style, when the technique wasnt needed they toned it down hence made tae kwon do but it was toned downed too much, basically because it was composed of too many deadly attacks, it remained that way for a while until the invention of JKD that's when they incorporated it to their style.

15. death_raven

bottom line lets just end this

some styles are both in tekken, but some styles are not
    end of story. thats what this is all about anyway, sorry i blew it out of proportion /versus/images/icons/confused.gif

16. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, someone already addressed your glairing mistake about TKD...JKD has a system of training, but it is not a standard system of training that is static as with most martial arts, but is something evolving. It is a philosophy of training, not a system of training.

17. death_raven

im not the one who said JKD is a system of training. i replied to that saying every martial arts has a system of training. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

18. agios_katastrof

d.raven, obviously, "hua wrhang do" that you mention is hwa rang do; there are no official korean=>english anglicization standards, but 'hwa rang do' is the most common variant of the spelling that I've seen. Hwarangs, as grynn eludes, are a bunch of ancient elite korean scholarly knight/warrior monk kinda folks. It is said that learning between hwarangs and the foreigners was a two way street, especially with the Japanese arts, and that quite a bit of cross pollination occured with arts like jujitsu. Hwarangdo, is also a military martial art, so these guys practiced quite a bit of kill techniques, mastery of all known weapons (kinda like how the modern US speacial forces learn how to use foreign firearms), as well as large scale battle field techniques. So yes, hwarangdo, is a more 'deadlier' art, per se. Not a few hwarangs held leadership positions in the military, and became generals reknown.
    And Bruce Lee didn't exactly 'invent' JKD. Freestyle fighting has obviously been around before. Bruce Lee just happened to give the concept a name, and popularize it.

19. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Very very interesting. Now I guess we know how "Hwoarang" got his name then, huh? It's basically pronounced exactly the same as "Wha Rang" isn't it?

Hmmm.... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

20. agios_katastrof

Hwa = like "Fa" in Do Re Mi Fa
    Rang = rhymes with "gong", NOT as in the past tense of ring

Btw, I believe hwarang means "Flower Knight" or "Beautiful Knight" or something really equally gay. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Actually, the best western translation I've heard for hwarang, was "paladin".

Another interesting Tekken point. Baek's full name is Baek Doo San, I believe? Which btw, is also the name of the tallest mountain in Korea.