1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken better than VF?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by jabbr, Jun 7, 2002.

1. jabbr

jabbr Member

ok, I know im probably gonna get flamed for this post but I have my doubts about virtua fighter 4 being better than tekken 3/4
    Im actually thinking about buying VF4 just so i can play a new fighting game and I've read quite a few reviews/posts about VF4 being more indepth than all the other fighting games currently on the market but I just cant see it beating tekken in terms of gameplay and technique ... for a start there are only 2 attack buttons to use and every single technique you have in VF4 you have in tekken 4 and tekken3 for that matter, such as tech rolls, counters and reversals ect...
    I've played Vf2 and Vf3 and just couldnt get into them (mainly because you use far less attack buttons and you have to press a button for block)
    I just wanted to know why most people here think VF series is better than tekken.
    basically I need someone to talk me into buying VF4... oh and a PS2 /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

GO ENGLAND!!!!

2. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

No flame, just an observation .

Youre an idiot .

3. jabbr

jabbr Member

Hey, no need to be so rude, im only giving my opinion about VF... all I wanted to know is why do VF players prefer VF over tekken, im not putting the game down or anything
    I've read that VF4 is easier to get into for tekken fans compared to VF2/3

4. solfizz

solfizz Well-Known Member

for starters, not every technique you find in vf4 shows up in tekken. For example,

stance dependent moves and combos
    reversals at different heights
    triple throw escapes
    evade throw escapes / evade guard
    characters with unique sabakis and
    characters with backwards evade
    weight classes
    SPOD (hehe) .....to name a few

not to say that vf4 completely outdoes tekken4 in terms of features or anything; tekken indeed has its plethora of unique gameplay elements which make it shine too. But if you want to play something refreshing, vf4 is guaranteed to offer an intense fighting experience that plays like new. When I say intense, i mean this game is an in your face, offense/defense blend that's sure to have you thinking of vf4 strategy outside of your game time, no kidding.

Plus the button layout is deceptively simple. If you notice, a lot of the commands involve button presses of all 3 buttons - you don't see that in tekken, simply because pressing any 3 buttons with Namco's 4 button layout is unyieldy.

A block button seems annoying at first because you've been used to holding back to block this whole time. I admit that i asked myself the same question too when i got back into vf after a long episode of tekken/street fighter. However, if you notice, that button gives you SO many more maneuvaribility options than a hold-b-to-block design would. In Tekken and SF, when you hold B as an attack any closer than 3 meters approaches your character, your character goes into block animation regardless if you wanted him to. This at times, leaves you little room to evade and escape due to incoming offense, and block stun(which you would never have had if you could just get out of the way). You are left hapless watching the attacks hit your blocking character because other escape routes aren't viable.
    A block button however, allows your character to move back and even forth at will, eating attacks or not (it's up to you), or blocking when you need to. The block button becomes essential in vf4 where attacking is incredibly fast-paced and dodging/evading/evading crouch-dashing play a crucial role in the defensive game. Look at the block button as a reward(yeah, it takes some time getting used to), and not as a barrier.

One more note on the 3 button configuration: if you haven't played vf4 yet, you'll soon find that there are just as many techniques per character as there are in tekken.

jabbr,
    I've played t3 and t4, and loved both of them. I still get kicks out of t4, but once you play vf4(and stay on it for a while), you get this hollow feeling when pulling tekken out of the attic. That feeling's worn away , really. But you'll definitely see that your gain in reflexes will contribute to a much slower-paced game in the world of tekken.

so there you have it - from someone who used to see tekken through your eyes too

5. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

watch this

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/games3/kun/1p_akira_shinz_vs_2p_akira_moonsuk7.avi>http://www.angelfire.com/games3/kun/1p_akira_shinz_vs_2p_akira_moonsuk7.avi</a>

6. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

me i prefer VF4 because its the closest stimulation of real fighting, the techniques are derived from real techniques,and of the new modes it has, like kumite mode, and the A.I. systems, i jsut never liked how some characters in tekken have move thats only possible in chinese kung-fu movies, but dont get me wrong i think tekken is a pretty good game, but i'd rather play VF

7. solfizz

Cygnus - you got a point, that exhibition you got there never ceases to amaze.

which reminds me, i think all tekken skeptics should see that one, just that ONE. and once they're hooked, see the others! =)

8. jabbr

jabbr Member

thanx sol,
    I'm gonna buy it and give it a try, I think the graphics for VF4 look great but I wasnt sure about the gameplay with it being differant to tekken until you cleared a few things up for me.
    what character do you recommend starting with?
    I'm a big paul and jun fan /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

jabbr I dont have annything about people giving theyre oppinion .
    The reason I called you an idiot is becouse you gave an oppinion and passed judgement on the game hile admitting you hadnt played it yet .
    Thats like a virgin saying having sex with a woman can never be as satisfying as masturbating .

10. jabbr

jabbr Member

thanx for the link cygnus /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm dloading it now (might take a while with my 56k dialup though) /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

11. jabbr

jabbr Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

jabbr I dont have annything about people giving theyre oppinion .
    The reason I called you an idiot is becouse you gave an oppinion and passed judgement on the game hile admitting you hadnt played it yet .
    Thats like a virgin saying having sex with a woman can never be as satisfying as masturbating

<hr></blockquote>

ok fair point, I thought VF4 was like VF3
    and I've played VF3 and couldnt get into it, thats why I kinda passed judgement on VF4 which I shouldnt have...it just came out wrong.

12. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

NP, it takes a big man to admit that .

13. jabbr

jabbr Member

Ok I got 2 quick questions about Virtua fighter 4 Im hoping someone can answer.

1 Does Virtua fighter 4 on the ps2 have any kata movies like the ones in soul calibur where each character shows off their fighting techniques?

2 which virtua fighter 4 strategy guide would you recommend buying?

thanx /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

1: No not really, there are watchable fight demos and replays tough .

2: None, just check the forums here for great strategy and explanations .

Oh and download some movies of great competitive fights .

15. solfizz

no problem, jabbr

Thank YOU for taking my suggestions so upfront!

If you liked Jun alot, I'm guessing Pai would be your best bet so far. She's flashy, quick, combo-tastic, and has one helluva look. Some moves that come out of this one stance of Pai's are reminiscent of Jun's twirly arsenal. If you want someone who "spins" alot, Shun is also another great choice, though he considered by many to be the most advanced character in the game. Note that "advanced" does not equate to "zero fun for beginners" though. =)

As for guys who fight like Paul? Depends what you like about him. If you enjoy his brute force and out-of-nowhere phoenix smashing killer, i suggest someone like Akira, who people say Paul is copied from(just what i heard, don't deathfist me now...), has much harder to perform moves. The dexterity required in doing some of his moves may seem insulting at first, but in the end Akira is a very satisfying character to master; even the instruction manual says so. Trust me when i say that Akira is intense in every little thing he does. =)
    Generally, people say the best characters to start off with are Lau, Pai, Jacky, Sarah, and Lei-Fei(he's much more unorthodox compared to the other starter characters).

Also, when you start off, DEFINITELY go to trial training and complete all 26 lessons for at least one character. For the others, like your secondaries, just check out the last two lessons to learn specific strategies and combos for those characters.

One last thing: you have to be patient with vf4 if you find the controls too "stiff" (especially coming fresh out of tekken) or the priority of moves way off (for example, throws can't just be done "anytime" and interrupt a shitload of moves like in tekken, again explained in trial training). Patience is virtue, but in this case, patience makes you a lazy fugger because after you've acquired the basics, you'll be thinking, eating, smoking, and dreaming vf4 all day....

16. HighKing

HighKing Well-Known Member

Not enough bandwith to access your site.

17. jabbr

jabbr Member

I have looked on Akiras moves list for a powerful move I've heard being mentioned on the forums called Spod but I cant find any info about it.
    can anyone point me in the right direction or explain to me how to do it and why its considered one of his best moves?

ta /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

SPoD stands for Stun Palm of Doom. It's a three hit combo, so if you get hit by the first part the rest is guaranteed if done correctly. It's done by pressing P+K+G ~ b,d/f+P+G ~ d,b or f+P. All of these commands must be entered around the time you start to see the second part of the combo. It's a good attack because the damage on normal hit is 70, the first part hit's mid, and it also tracks those who dodge to Akira's back.

19. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

I always chuckle at these comparison threads... but what can you do... no other fighting games out there compare to Tekken and VF, IMO.

At any rate, both games are fun for their own reasons... IMO Tekken is for the gamer who wants wild rediculous moves and style, and VF is for the hardcore toe-to-toe gamer who wants a deeper level of comp. Both are valid but you can't compare them really. The only thing that I can say with certainty is that Namco dropped the ball on T4 with it's inbalances and jab priorities.

20. Trashcan

Trashcan Member

Well, Tekken is fun, but not as technical as VF is. However, with all fighting games you can attain a high level of competition.

Think about SF2. The competition was FEROCIOUS, and every character had 2-3 special moves. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

If you have 2 players of the same level, pretty well trained, on any fighting game, you're going to get competition. VF isn't more competitive, it's more deep. Namco finally lost it's death grip on all fighting games in the US, and up here in Canada.