1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tekken vs VF game - be interested or diss it?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fishie, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

If there ever would be a Tekken vs Virtua Fighter , would you guys be interested in it or diss it outright?

2. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    I make a point of trying games out before I diss them.

3. Stl_Tim

Stl_Tim Well-Known Member

VF is grid based and Tekken is built on a sphere. It simply can never be built properly.

End of line.

4. SuperPanda

SuperPanda Well-Known Member

As much as I like both games, it'll never, ever work. They'll have to create a system from scratch, and it won't play like either Tekken or VF.

5. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that the question that this topic asks suggest some future announcement that could be potentially cool and stupid at the same time?

6. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Unsafe_Dan: You're delusional.

7. InstantOverhead

InstantOverhead Well-Known Member

Except that in multiple interviews of employees who developed Tekken 6 BR have said that they approached Sega about doing Tekken vs Virtua multiple times. Remember that Sega gave the Tekken team a license (or something like that) to use the same ranking and customization system from VF4 for the latest two Tekken iterations. It's not like they haven't worked with each other before and we know that they certainly keeps tabs on each others' series.

That being said the system is a big issue. For something like CvS a six-button or Street Fighter layout was chosen for the game. With Tekken and VF how do you control movement? Is there a guard button? Four or three buttons?

Another word on the street is that TTT2 is being strongly considered now that Sega turned down Tekken vs VF.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    To answer the question: of course I would consider it, but it would have to be something amazing for me to want to play it. Just the thought of a VF character on an infinite stage fighting a friggin' Panda makes me ill.

My skepticism is based on the fact that in order for both systems to work coherently, some kind of compromise would have to be made. These compromises could (and probably would) end up being horrible, and go against what makes VF enjoyable.

Fighters Mega Mix was bad enough (for me), and you couldn't get two 3D fighting game candidates with a more compatible system than the VF and FV series.

9. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Word. Fishie is up to something.

10. Sun

Sun Member

Unless they take the game seriously like VF itself and make the Tekken part of it as serious as it should be , I won't consider it a buy for me .

I am not even getting Tekken 6 .

11. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

12. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Fishie: if you really are interested in people's opinion on such a game, a lot of people already expressed it here - old tekken vs vf topic link

With that said, please do not revert back to how that thread ended.

13. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Forget the compromise and build something completely new.
    I'd love to see both companies work on this together.
    However if it's just one development team just making it then AM2 all the way..

Sorry Namco [​IMG]

Reading that blog it sounds like they're a bit bored of making Tekken games now. But I guess as long as it keeps making them money what can they do ?

14. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I give this thread a week before it descends rapidly into madness.

Didn't that happen in Fighters Megamix? I remember most of the VF stages became infinite (except Wolf's) and Kumachan's second costume was Pandachan, so you could do it.

Sorry if that made you feel sick.

15. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I'd be totally interested. [​IMG]

I like both series; obviously I have a preference. [​IMG]

Hopefully it would play well.

16. PompeyFraz

PompeyFraz Well-Known Member

Not this shit again.. [​IMG]

17. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    It would be interesting to see what they keep and what they remove from each game. Those decisions would make a world of difference when it comes to me playing the game.

Things like invincibility frames after a succesful evade and not making every throw a catch throw are things that would have me check it out without a doubt. If they condensed the movelist and added big explosions it wouldn't bother me one bit. It'd be neat to have Shun fight King in a glacier with penguins or something [​IMG]

18. SuperPanda

There's no way the two systems would work together and come out smelling like roses.

Everything between them is different. VF's throw game is different. Tekken has a completely different oki,SS (no invincibility), and HML-mix up system. The NH/CH's are different. The combo systems are different. The wall system is different. The crush systems are different. Stepping is different. Dashing is different. SS/SW are different.

The "simple" difference of the guard button alone lead to so many differences from the get go.

If this game ever gets the green light, the only way this would work would be to create a new system from scratch, and just throw in the characters from both games. How that would play would be anyone's guess.

19. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

It would be great.

It'd be a game of compromise, both series' got some good things in them and to have the characters vs. each other, just take what's good from both sides.

Some things are very close counterparts as is.

20. SuperPanda

It "could" be great you mean.

If it leaned towards a more VF style of play, all the Tekken players would wonder why their from-sweep combos were nerfed. If it leaned towards a more Tekken style of play, all the VF players would wonder when did Akira learn how to do a get up sweep > AS3 > Bound! > DLC > Wall.

Heh. Come to think of it, it would be interesting.