1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

That "little" feature i never liked in VF

Discussion in 'General' started by SSfox, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Do you agree

This poll will close on Nov 14, 2027 at 12:28 PM.
  1. Yes i agree, it need a change or remove

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No it should stay that way

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  3. Don't care much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

Hi,

So i may be the only one, but there is an aspect i always dislike in VF, you see those very few moves that make the joystick appear in the screen? well THAT'S the thing, it's a videogamey thing that was already looking old imo even back then, and more now, it removes all the cinematographic aspect of the game. Like in Street Fighter they have birds flying around your head and i think that's cool and fits the comic style of SF, in Tekken there's nothing appear in the screen when you got hit with those kind of moves that make you Dizzy (Kazuya df2 CH for exemple).

I think VF need to remove or change this joystick appearance because it really look not that great in my opinion, and especially nowadays in the era where Fighting games are not only important for the player but also for people that are watching.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    In a less belligerent and accusatory tone:

Unless it's replaced with another visual indicator, I don't think it should be removed. For one it is dumb that other games don't give you that information in game but instead you either have to go on a forum or a in game glossary.

beanboy likes this.
  3. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

@SSfox
    That's the same thing Aris said, and I didn't agree with him at all.:p
    I even mentioned it in another topic too.

That wiggling joystick icon, is also a reminder to VF players, that it's not Tekken or other fighting games you're playing. It's Virtua Fighter. And that you can escape, the stagger/stun state etc.

From personal experience, there were a few VF matches, where I though I was gonna lose the match, and then when the wiggle icon appeared, I immediately remembered, that I can recover from the stagger. I ended up winning many matches, I thought I was going to lose, because of that wiggle icon.:ROTFL:

Maybe changing the appearance of it, might work for some gamers.:)
    But me, I never really had a problem with it.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I have no problem with it visually, the only way I'd remove it was if the mechanic itself was removed. It's subtle and a good indicator as to what to do IMO. Besides, a little old-school aesthetic never hurt anyone!

beanboy likes this.
  5. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

I think should be replaced by something smaller which could be close to the character icon that's next to the life bar.
    Maybe add an option to turn it off?

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Fun fact: the stagger recovery icon didn't appear until VF4.

The stagger recovery icon is just an instructional UI element to indicate important information to the user. What's next? Removing the life bars? :) Just kidding!

In a game that's rich with varying hit animations, this indicator makes it obvious to the user that they can recovery from a specific animation (i.e. a stagger). Removing it entirely would make the game a little more inaccessible, IMO.

I don't think they occur frequently enough that it detracts from the game or transforms it into a pseudo-QTE, but the queue is good enough to serve its purpose. I'm not precious about the icon mind you, so if they found another other way to indicate this state, I'd be OK with that too.

On the flip side, the amount of informational queues you see in other, more modern, fighting games, is ridiculous IMO, and a lot of them are just fluff, not really serve any purpose other than verbosely communicate every. single. damn. thing. happening. on. screen.

First Hit!
    Critical Hit!
    Counter Hit!
    Reversal!
    Flawless Block!
    High Counter!
    Recovery!
    Tech!
    Wow!
    Fuck off!

I expect to see these in training or debug mode, not in the actual game! /rant

beanboy, Chanchai, VFnumbers and 3 others like this.
  7. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Then theres Tekken that don't have any indicator for CH unless it leads to a combo. What about a different colored hit spark Harada?! How in the hell am I supposed to know if King's ff n 1+2 hits CH so I can get a free f 21?!!! How?!! HOW!?

8. SSfox

SSfox Well-Known Member

That's way i say it need to be remove or change , but as it right now i don't know what it could be, in SF i think the birds fits the style of this game but would look wack in VF realistic style, so dunno, any suggestion is welcome.

Didn't knew Aris made this point haha

I understand as a player it's very helpful, but aesthetically it doesn't look good imo, but i think it would be that hard to replace with something with the same purpose (so telling you that you need to do so to escape ect) but with something look a bit more cooler.

This should be in the middle of the screen i think because it may be hard to see if it's on lifebar cause you always are focuse of the middle of the screen, unless make it very visible so you would notice anyway?

In Tekken not all characters can stun, and it's very visible just by animation that you're stun.

And about CH in Tekken there's always something that indicate it.

Thank you all for your opinions :)

9. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Yeah. He said that in one of his short videos.

Despite the fact that Aris likes to talk, alot of pro gamer silly talk. Like for example, he said Tekken is more advanced than Soul Calibur. And gamers laughed their butts off, at that comment he made. Because soul calibur, moreso soul calibur 1, was the first fighting game from namco, that showed that namco was capable, of making an actual deep 3d fighting game, and not one based on cartoony gimmicks, guest characters, and basic game play etc. As for the later soul caliburs, Soul Calibur 2 and up, well,..........that is another story.:p

But despite his silly comments, Aris is an okay guy though.:D
    I only watch his channel, when he plays soul calibur. Even if it's the dumbed down soul caliburs, like Soul Calibur 2 to SC6 etc. And it's always fun to watch Aris kick butt, in soul calibur online.:)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019