1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The 2002 E3 Gathering Thread

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

The first (in probably a short series) forecasting poll regarding E3 this year.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1017537548Chanchai">

What are your chances of being in LA (and available) during the week/weekend of E3 2002?
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">Definitely
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">Very Likely
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3">Maybe
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4">None at all (or VERY UNLIKELY)
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

E3 will be taking place at the Los Angeles Convention Center on May 21-24th. This poll isn't really asking if you will be going to E3, it's mainly asking if you will be in the area during that particular weekend.

This will hopefully assist in setting up a good VF4 gathering that weekend, or perhaps a series of VF4 gatherings on that weekend.

-Chanchai

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    This thread is sticky up until the start of E3.

Other gathering threads of similar national or international scope and interest will appear as sticky threads too.

3. Shou

Shou Well-Known Member

I will be in town from the 21st to 26th.

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

20th to 26th here .

5. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

I was just in Portland at Lloyd Center this weekend with alot of the Seattle Streetfighter players who where there playing in the MVC2 and 3S tournies. I played a little VF4 with Ray and some other guys. Maybe we can meet up and go to E3 together. Isn't E3 industry invite only though. What are the chances of us having a gathering unless someone is in the gaming industry within the group. Other than that I know some Gamers in the LA area and I can see if we can make arrangements with them. Mainly Tekken players though cause I used to be a die hard Tekken player for years so that's the only gamers I know down there as well as a few Streetfighter players.

6. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Actually, there are a few here that are part of the gaming industry in one form or another .

7. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

Ok that sounds cool. If we know for sure that we can go is there anyone that you know of that can get us in. Cause speaking for myself personally I know I'd be able to make it. So if you have any further info or anyone else for that matter we can plan something out.

8. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Heh, theyre cracking down on people who havent got legit reasons to be there .
    I had to provide lots of references to be allowed in this year, last year they just asked a few and when I got there I asked for a few guest passes for friends and that was no problem .
    Not so this year im affraid .
    Iff you have a fansite however you can register as a paying attendee for 250$ .
    This will only get you into the actual show tough and nothing else .

9. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

ah pardon my francais but fuck that shit. $250 plus air fair than lodging or whatever than just get the bare minimal treatment I'll pass. If we can get something going other than E3 that'd be cool too.

10. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Umm the gatherings will not take place at E3 itself .

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Of course, I'll be around. Nick, sorry I haven't called you back yet, I've been busy.

Spotlite

12. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

Well I know Chanchai said it won't be at E3 itself, but if I'm going all the way to LA during the particular weekend of E3 I'd like to see the extravaganza itself too making my time well spent. I know the gathering was meant to coincide with E3 cause alot of gamers will be around during that time in the area, but like I was saying it would be a more enjoyable stay if some other stuff could be arranged during this time since E3 is invite only.

13. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Heh, last year upon seeing my company they gave me 5 guest passes ( go to Zero-chan´s webpage and look at her E3 article and look at the pic of her E3 badge ), who knows maybe I can get a few this year as well .

Thing is E3 actually needs less fanboys/girls .
    Its a place of bussuines and for the most should stay that way .

14. Will_Gotti

Will_Gotti Member

That's cool but keeping away the fanboys/girls would mean keeping away your friends and whatnot who you invite wouldn't they be fanboys/girls? Anyways I've heard E3 was invite only for years and never really had a concern for it myself I just thought if we were going to be meeting there during that weekend then hey why not and see what's up. I understand your point though.

15. Chanchai

NP Spotlite. I got the ball rolling early because I was curious about how many VF4 players might be around and willing to go to a gathering during E3 weekend, though I'm sure you know this of course.

The hard part is figuring how many people will really be going down there, at least it's hard until the final week. I was glad we were able to completely stuff your living room last year though. Your TV was excellent and your living room is quite comfy. Earlier, my concerns was taht we would either need a big gathering or a number of them going on. However, not that the poll really tells anything much now, but not very many people have really used it.

I guess we just won't find out until early May, but I was hoping to get a good head start on a centralized VF4 Gathering, from which I guess the private sessions would sprout and most everyone interested gets a chance to meet each other and decide where to go from there.

On Gatherings
    For those who don't know, VF Gatherings have gone on for a long time with players coming from a variety of areas. I'm part of a newer generation of players, my first gathering being in August of 2000 (New York Gathering 2), while some veterans have been at it for quite a while. Overall, the gatherings are a nice event and the more popular gatherings tend to be in the summer (at least out of the gatherings I've been to, which haven't been too many). E3 brings a lot of gamers of various types to a centralized area and in the past there were the private sessions of VF which came out of E3. Last year, a gathering occurred at Spotlite's place and the attendance was quite good imo and I got to meet a lot of great people. As long as everyone is on their good behavior, gatherings have generally been wonderful experiences for me.

-Chanchai

16. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Ill bring the choclate .

17. Mutant

Mutant Member

I'll be at e3.

Mike

18. Yuki-sensei

Yuki-sensei Well-Known Member

havent been to E3 in a good while....... hopefully, i will be able to make this year.

19. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

Actually, they say they are "cracking down" every year... and it actually just keeps getting easier, especially to get the "coveted" media badges (not the fake online media badges either). For some reason, the harder they say they are "cracking down" the easier it is to get in. Anyway, I'll be there... lemme know where the gathering is!

ben

20. Chanchai

So far... the possible/potential candidates for attending an E3 Gathering are....

-Shou-sama
    -Almaci
    -Will Gotti (?)
    -Spotlite (hey, it wouldn't be an E3 gathering with the man himself!)
    -Mutant
    -Tellure (I am assuming)
    -Yuki-sensei (maybe?)
    -Tragic
    -Chanchai (hoping)

*That's 9, not counting other people I'm confident will go... but oh well.
    *So far on the poll (which pretty much hasn't meant much) there are 6 people claiming to definitely be there, 4 claiming they're likely to be there.
    *And then I'm assuming that at least half of the currently active LA crew might be able to attend.

Anyways... so far so good. I'm assuming many potential candidates (much more than participated on the poll) are about as confused on their state of going to LA that weekend as I am... But I'll most likely go... it hasn't been too hard to make such a trip (though how many times I was "supposed to go" to the Bay Area...).

Spotlite, private message me about your ideas for this year's E3 VF gathering/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

-Chanchai