1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The 2002 E3 Gathering Thread

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

All goin well Zero-Chan should be acompanying me .

2. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Count me in..- Brian

3. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I will be there the entire week of E3 staying at the Red Dragon Hotel in the middle of China Town. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

I'll be there. I want to go to E3 but if i can't get in, then I'll probably just be around for the VF gathering.

5. TheBadMan

TheBadMan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to go, but as of right now i'm only at like 50% possibility... if I do make it down I am definantly up for a little VF action (assuming there are no previous engagements for strippers and booze that night /versus/images/icons/wink.gif )

6. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Hey, why cant we have both ?
    Just bring the booze and strippers over .

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

- Yusuke will be back in Tokyo during the E3 week, unfortunately.
    - Howard may be in Taiwan as well, not sure yet, need to confirm with him.
    - Akira and I might be able to swing by LA later in the week (Thursday? Friday? Saturday?) to play VF4 and participate in a tournament if there's going to be one.

Chanchai, spotlite, since you've attended/organized past VF gatherings, if you could propose a tentative schedule with tournament date(s), format (league + playoffs? double elimination?), etc., we can give a more definitive response as to whether/when we can make the trip down to LA. (If you need help in organizing the gathering, preparing tournament bracket printouts, etc., I'd be willing to help some, just drop me a line.)

-- Chris

8. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I was also thinking it'd be fun to have a tournament, as well as casual (or not so casual) play. Of course, people can play here at my place. I'll have to look at the calendar to see exactly when would be best.

Spotlite

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Managing a tournament around E3 is a bit tough... since people swing in and out at various times, or at least that's how it seemed to me last year. If the majority of the competitive players are going to E3, then the tournament will probably be starting in the evening around 7pm or so.

However... I'm sort of curious if we should do a gathering on Friday and a tournament on Saturday. Or a tournament first, then a gathering later. Some people like the element of surprise in tournaments, some people do... Though in the very small experiences that I've had, it seems best to have the tourney first--simply because people tend to be be less discouraged to participate at that time.

Anyways... Spotlite, would you be able to list alternative locations for the gathering? In case your place is preoccupied, or a policy of some sort exists at the time, or the gathering gets huge, etc...

BTW, how's VF4 PS2 looking on that Vega?!

-Chanchai

PS Thank goodness Spotlite's place is so close to E3.

10. siLEpai

siLEpai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    siLEPai
    Who else is going down to LA from the Bay Area? I might drive down given it's Memorial Day weekend and try out the scenic route 1 . . . who knows. But a li'l mini-road trip should be fun! Car pool lane *whee*!

Joanna, any room for a siLE buD at your place? I don't think I have my TKD guards 'n pads so take it EZ on me *tee hee*. I need some more VF lessons from ya! Vacation be good 4 siLE-Pai =P

11. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Count me in for E3. Just found out I dont have class that week.

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    okay everyone, I was thinking that the Friday after E3, the 24th of May would be a good day to have the gathering/tournament. As usual, my place is open for hosting that night (as it's close to E3 and kind of central to all areas of LA).

How does that sound to everyone? I can easily have 2 set-ups going, maybe even 3. It seemed last year that with about 15-20 people, 2 setups was a little lacking at peak traffic, and there was a lot of waiting at times.

What do you guys think? I think it'd be a great chance for those of us with local scenes to try some hard playing with lots of different players.

Spotlite

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, the prospects of my attending E3 are looking good, hoping to see lots of people there!

14. Chanchai

hey Spotlite, sounds wonderful! It looks like I might even be in LA between the 23rd-28th. Friday is definitely a great day for a gathering, imo. I plan on being there.

-Chanchai

15. HunterRose

HunterRose Active Member

Count me in. I should be in LA the night before E3.

16. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I may show up. What specific times should people arrive and are there any other specifics you can give us? I will there all week.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Where are you guys staying?

OK guys, crunching the numbers to see what I can afford!

Where are the majority of you guys staying for E3? Which hotel? I'm probably going to book a single, but it'd be nice to be near VFers so that I won't be completely alone.

18. Chanchai

Re: Where are you guys staying?

At the moment... I have no idea where I'll be staying... When I know my budget, I'll have a better idea... though right now, I'm doing the pathetic begging hehehe.

Most of my friends happen to have family over for Memorial Day weekend, so that's partly why I'm not seeking a place to stay... I'll have to go Hotel hunting soon.

-Chanchai

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: Where are you guys staying?

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be in LA from May 19 to May 25. Quite a long time--maybe I can meet up with some of the LA gang prior to E3 for a smaller type of gathering? I'm staying at the Stillwell Hotel, a budget place that's within walking distance to the convention center. It's essentially $70 a night on Travelocity...not bad. <a target="_blank" href=http://dps1.travelocity.com/hotsdetailcobrand.ctl?prop_cd=7777&hotel_name=Utell<br>STILLWELL%20HOTEL&address1=838%20SO%20GRAND%20AVE&address2=LOS%20ANGELES,%20CA%2090017&phn_num=&linked_from_review=1&SEQ=102099431264461305092002&LANG=EN&last_pgd_page=glblreview.pgd>Here's a link</a>.

20. Chanchai

Looks like I should be arriving in LA on Friday late afternoon or early evening with Silepai.

Can people planning to go to the E3 gathering private message Spotlite or me so we can compile a listing of people who have the intentions of going?

If a Saturday gathering happens, I'll plan on being there as well/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

-Chanchai