1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The 2002 E3 Gathering Thread

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, Mar 30, 2002.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Planning to be in LA on Thursday evening or Friday afternoon, and will leave on Sunday morning. Not 100% confirmed, but very likely.

Hopefully we can set up some kind of organized league or tournament event on either Friday or Saturday evening? We can decide on the exact format later, but if we give everybody advance notice as to when a tournament might occur, that might help solidify some people's plans to be in LA around that time.

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well, like I said in my last post, I was hoping/thinking friday would be the best day for the Tournament. We even had a practice mini-tourney last night... kudos to Andy for winning (proving Pai's worth).

I was wondering what people thought would make good rules... so far, it seems like:

1. players aren't allowed to switch characters once the tournament starts
    2. 3 round matches, either one match or 2/3
    3. the whole thing should take place on the japanese or US version, so we can use the same character files for the whole thing (?)

what are other people's ideas? should we do single/double elimination, round robin?

Also, let's start a sign-in now.

From LA, we have

Bryan (spotlite)
    Andy
    Mike (mike90210)
    David (vf4akira)
    Brian (brisal) ?
    Plague and Catherine ?
    Gribbly ?

from out of town:

Chanchai
    Ice 9
    Feixa Q
    Akira Taniguchi ?
    Sile Pai ?
    Don ?

I think Chris said Howard and Yusuke will be OOT, and Wen is going back home this week.

Who else will be coming?

Spotlite

3. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Is this gonna be a Friday/Sat thing or just Fri?

4. Akira Taniguchi

Akira Taniguchi Well-Known Member

Hey Spotlite. I was planning on going to the VF gathering with either Chris or siLEpai but something came up so I can't make it. Maybe next time. I still would like to play against the players in LA. I often visit my in-laws living in Mission Viejo so maybe next time when I have time I'll see you guys there.

5. siLEpai

siLEpai Well-Known Member

PSN:
    siLEPai
    Hey Spotlite,

It looks like da siLE gang is making a roadtrip on Friday morning to arrive Friday late afternoon / early evening. Boo-boo needs a space to park and puleaze make room for 4 more: Chanchai, Omni (derek Daniels), Snuggles, 'n me =) I'll do my best to convince Jo to join us for TGIVF. BTW, what's the best route to get to your place and avoid LA traffic?

6. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I would like to go and so would my friend. So add DeathBringa and Lectric to the possible coming list. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

7. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

*emerges from shadows*

what time friday?

grib.

8. tragic

tragic Well-Known Member

Sign me up. iIll be in town on monday evening or tuesday morning... until saturday night or sunday morning.

ben (tragic)

9. Curify

Curify Member

Errr... this is all Friday? I'll ICQ.

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I was wondering what people thought would make good rules... so far, it seems like:

1. players aren't allowed to switch characters once the tournament starts
    2. 3 round matches, either one match or 2/3
    3. the whole thing should take place on the japanese or US version, so we can use the same character files for the whole thing (?)

what are other people's ideas? should we do single/double elimination, round robin?

Ah, I missed this post somehow. I think if you have <=16 players, what might work is this:

Preliminary Seeding
    1. With 16 people, a full round robin will take too long. So instead, randomly assign numbers 1-16 to players.
    2. Play 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, etc. (8 matches total)
    3. Group the 8 prelim winners together, then randomly assign numbers A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8
    4. Group the 8 prelim losers together, then randomly assign numbers B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8
    5. The A's and B's will be paired up for the first round of the double elimination. This is a quick and dirty one-pass seeding.

Double elimination tournament
    1. Set up A1vsB1, A2vsB2, A3vsB3, etc.
    2. Proceed with standard double elimination format, taking care not to play the same matchups in the losing bracket (i.e. ideally, losing bracket player should not have to play the guy who knocked him/her out unless there is no other alternative)

General
    1. Each matchup should be best 2 of 3 matches. Each match is 45 seconds, 200pts, 3/5 rounds.
    2. Random stage select ON.
    3. Players have to pick characters and stick with the same one throughout the event.
    4. Players can bring their own joysticks if they prefer. Or, ideally, 2 PS2 VF4 sticks should be used (since they're the closest thing to "official" sticks). No programmable sticks, in any event!
    5. VF.net characters can be used if desired. Yes, we should stick to either JP or US throughout. I'd personally prefer JP, but I'm guessing more players might have US character saves, so either one is fine, really.

Timing
    1. We should really confirm the timing of this event ASAP so people will know when to show up, otherwise we'll get stragglers coming in midway through, some people having to leave early, etc.
    2. This whole event should take no longer than 2 hours, and I think might actually be done in 1½
    3. If turnout is good on Friday, and enough people are staying on Saturday, we might be able to have another go around on Saturday...

11. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    OK, Catherine and I are up for the Friday night tournament.

Just need a time and an address and we'll be there /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Portland's own RaybladeX also plans on going to the "E3 VF4 Gathering" and since he's not very vocal here (though he reads the posts here), thought I'd confirm his intention to be there.

-Chanchai

13. Wen

Wen Member

Hello, this is Wen. I'm currently in LA, staying really near the E3 location (walking distance). I don't know if I can make an E3 tournament thingy as I'm travelling with a non-VF-playing friend, but I'm definitely interested. I'll be checking this thread for info.

Also, on the 28th and 29th I'll be alone in LA (friend would have left) so I'm definitely up for some gaming if any LA native is interested. (I presume E3 participants would have left already.)

I was wondering if someone (Spotlite, maybe? Since you're hosting the tourney?) could PM me his phone number in case I need to stay in touch/confirm attendance/ask for directions. Access to the Internet is sporadic since I'm at a cheap motel.

Btw for those looking for a cheap (but servicable and clean) hotel, there's one on Flower Street called Orchid Hotel that's only $33 a night and $38 for doubles. It's a short distance from E3.

Btw thanks Spotlite and Andy for the games in SD. I've always though previously that Pai is kinda underpowered.

14. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Okay, here's the deal:

My address is:

Bryan Burk
    4529 Abbey Place
    Los Angeles CA 90019
    (323) 871 1084 Friday from noon to 6 or (323) 934 5829 any other time

My house is in central LA, in what most people call the Wilshire, Miracle Mile, or Mid City area. I live on a small street which is situated between the major streets Highland and Crenshaw (on the West and East) and Olympic and Pico (to the North and South).

If you're coming from the area of E3, just get on Olympic and go West about 3-5 miles. Once you pass Crenshaw, start looking on your left (south) for a street called Queen Anne. If you see the LA High School on your left, you've gone 2 blocks too far. If you reach Highland, you've missed it by about 1/4 mile.

Turn left onto Queen Anne, and go for 2 blocks, you'll see Abbey Place on your left. It's a col-de-sac, and I live on the left side of the street at 4529, a house.

People can start arriving around 7:00 Friday at my place. The Tournament will start at 9:30, giving people time to show up/get settled. People coming early can play freely/practice if they like.

Rules of the Tournament:

Double Elimination in the manner suggested by Feixa Q in the above post. I think it makes good sense, and allows for players to have a good crack at it, without loosing a single match or two, and being out.

But, I do have a question of my own about the format. After the first seeding, if the winners play the loosers again, won't there be some re-matches sooner or later between the same players who fought in the seeding? The way I understood Double Elimination was that after the seeding, the loosers fight themselves, then the winners do the same. In the final, the winners from each bracket face off (A vs B), and the winner must be beaten twice (not having lost yet). Is this right, or am I confused?

Player's can't switch characters during the tourney. Save files can be used, and I'd encourage them for the sake of colorful fights /versus/images/icons/wink.gif. I'm going to try to record all matches, and edit it together later. At the moment, I know we have 2 Japanese units here in LA (I'm assuming vf4Akira would let us use his), but like Chris said, if more people have files for the US version, we can use that as well.

While I have 2 Namco sticks, and my friend Noah's VF4 stick at the moment, perhaps it is best to use the VF4 sticks as standard, allowing people to use their own if they wish (please set your character save files to Type A in advance if you want to use a VF4 stick). Again, I'm assuming we can get 3 more VF4 sticks (Brisal, Bay Area guys...). Worst case scenario, we'll have all namco sticks.

So far, this is the list of confirmed participants that I know of:

Bryan (Spotlite)
    Brian (Brisal)
    Andy
    David (vf4Akira)
    Mike (mike92123)
    Talis (Plague)
    Catherine
    Cameron (gribbly)
    Eric (Shou)
    Nick (Chanchai)
    DeathBringa
    Jeff (Ice 9)
    Chris (Feixa Q)
    Noah
    siLEpai
    Omni
    snuggles (?)
    Lectric
    RaybladeX
    Ben (tragic)

Unconfirmed (most are trying)

Wen
    Paul (soulfizz)
    jhky
    Hunter Rose
    Mutant
    Almaci
    Zero-chan
    will-gotti

So that's 20 confirmed, 8 or so in the air. Guess that means we can expect about 20 people, 30 at most.

I'm encouraging people to bring any extra sticks, PS2s, cables, and copies of the game they have available. 10 people to a set-up is a lot of waiting. I have 4 TV's available if need be, although 2 are somewhat small. Hell, even extra TVs are encouraged.

Food and Drink wise, people are welcome to bring whatever they like, I'll probably be providing just the basics (water, some soda, ice...).

It's not too late to confiram for anyone who wants to come. I hope you can all make it. Feel free to contact me, and in the 2 days remaining, practice!!!

Bryan (Spotlite)

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

BTW, for those reading this and attending E3, there is a VF4 versus-with-sticks set up in Kentia Hall, xarcade or xgaming or something like that booth. Basically it's a company that makes arcade-type sticks for home. Unfortunately the sticks have a circular base, but most U.S. arcade regulars should be used to it. I'll probably spend some time there, so if you're reading this, hope to see you there and maybe we can get a few games in.

Or, maybe post a time that you can drop by and we can meet up then. I'll probably be there around 3-4 pm, most likely.

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Errr, sorry guys, I slept over a friend's place and now I'm reaaaally lazy to go back downtown to E3, so I may not show up. Sorry.

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

After the first seeding, if the winners play the loosers again, won't there be some re-matches sooner or later between the same players who fought in the seeding? The way I understood Double Elimination was that after the seeding, the loosers fight themselves, then the winners do the same.

Check this out:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.darters.com/brackets/32_team_double_bracket_1of2.htm>Winner's Bracket (32 players)</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.darters.com/brackets/32_team_double_bracket_2of2.htm>Loser's Bracket (32 players)</a>

I have this printed out and will bring this to the event tomorrow.

In the final, the winners from each bracket face off (A vs B), and the winner must be beaten twice (not having lost yet). Is this right, or am I confused?

Yep, you're right.

I'm encouraging people to bring any extra sticks, PS2s, cables, and copies of the game they have available. 10 people to a set-up is a lot of waiting. I have 4 TV's available if need be, although 2 are somewhat small. Hell, even extra TVs are encouraged.

I'll bring one VF4 Hori Stick.

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Heh heh, I don't know if I'm just talking to myself, but this time I'll definitely be in E3 and at that xarcade booth in Kentia Hall at around 3 pm. If anyone wants to get in a few early games before today's tourney, meet me there!

I'm the guy wearing the red plaid shirt with jeans.

19. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I went there yesterday... had to talk to those dorks 2 times! I think those sticks are pretty lame, for VF at least. They're really close together, so it's hard to hit diagonals with 2 people.

In the hall above that, MadCats has a VF4 set-up with wireless pads. While I didn't try it, I think I'd probably play better there, myself.

Spotlite

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Killer tournament last night. It was very cool, indeed, to meet the people behind the VFDC names.

Bryan, thanks for opening your home, and thanks to everyone who made the trip.

Hope to see you all again, soon.