1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Clinch

Discussion in 'Brad' started by JuliusRage, Nov 7, 2007.

1. JuliusRage

JuliusRage Member

Ok, I know, I know. "Julius Rage having trouble with something!?! This has gotta be a rib. . ." But I'm shittin ya negative I can't seem to pull this off consistently.

I know it says to do it on counter hit but how long is the window for me to execute this. Seems like If I do it too soon after my attack I can't get it but if I wait a half a second too long I'll miss it completely. . .so I'm wondering if anyone has advice on nailing it?

2. BradBurn5

BradBurn5 Member

i hate giving u advice but.... yea u have to do it fast cant wait more than a split second after u hit on counter, i usually just start press throw after i do the hit and it comes off perfectly.

3. JuliusRage

JuliusRage Member

Well thanks Brad Burns. . .but you know I'm better than you.

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The window is very small...basically its approximately the amount of "active frames" the move actually "hits" (look at the command list for more information).

For example Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif takes 16 frames to execute, and 2 active frames. My guess is that you have 2-4 frames window (1/30th - 1/15th of a second) to get /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to connect.

Almost all these "on counter hit" moves will most likely differ on timing. My suggestion is:

1. go to training mode...
    2. display the command input information (where you see the amount of frames as you enter your commands)
    3. look at the computer example of performing the move (I know in the PS3 version, there certain difficult commands that the computer can demonstrate how to perform the move).
    4. take note of the frame information of when the cpu input the command.
    5. practice and compare your successful and failed command input to the computer's input.

Hope this helps, good luck!

5. JuliusRage

JuliusRage Member

Ooooooo!

Good adivce! Thanks.

6. Vortigar

Vortigar Well-Known Member

Note that the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can't go to clinch at longer ranges btw.
    The timing feels quite late for me with this one.

Sway left /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif timing feels a lot faster in comparison.

Maybe that's just me.

7. Rekano

Rekano Member

PSN:
    Rekano
    Since this is a thread on Clinch, I figured I'd ask my question here.

1. How is the Clinch escaped? Stick waggle? Button input? Combo of both? Cause I've had ppl escape it right when I got them and after I had made a button input.
    2. What would be some good offensive ideas if it is escaped?

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    1. You'll find the answers in Brad's Command List on VFDC (check the Esc column)

2. Again, in the Command Lists you'll see Brad doesn't have any advantage if it's escaped (check the Grd column), so it's better to think defensively.

9. Rekano

Rekano Member

PSN:
    Rekano
    thanks Myke.

10. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Re: The Clinch is your friend :)

Normally going for a Position Change after the clinch is a bad idea bc your opponent can break the clinch simply by pressing the opposite direction BUT PC is a good thing to try mix into Brad's clinch game for two reasons:
    #1 The damage from Brad's knees in the clinch increases after the 1st position change from 12 to 20.
    #2 From here you have a third option, rather than go for another knee (K), final knee (K+G) or Elbow Slash (P) you can throw your opponent into a wall or closer to the edge of the ring/out of the ring.
    When going for a PC with Brad, keep in mind that if you press up, your opponent can break it by pressing down.
    Most opponents usually shake the joystick from left to right and might even press down during that struggle.
    So try pressing down when instead, it will catch your opponent off guard and until he catches on you can just do up, press up again and Left Through /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Brad is at +18 and your opponent is backturned, attack! ... or go for a throw, or OM, your choice.

P.S.
    Brad's K+G is his strongest option from the Clinch.
    The opponent falls face down with his head towards you, from here you can do 46K+G if your opponent doesn't techroll and/or go for other options.

For all you Brad newbies out there:
    If your opponent techrolls from this position (face-down, head towards Brad) there is a small window (smaller if he/she does in-place recovery) where they can not block mid attacks.
    Very important thing to keep in mind with Brad, most of his combo starters are head collapses and gut collapes, therefore, you can apply added pressure after these type of combos just by predicting which way they are going to techroll.
    Happy hunting /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif