1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The first UK VF4 clip is here

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Hyun, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

It's currently stored at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~esak/uk-vf4-firstclip.avi

I would like to discuss permanent storage for other clips to come. People like Creed, FeixaQ, Cause message me if you would like to help.

P.S. About our eternal Promethean curse: Tekken VS VF. If I have to add two cents, a few oldies may remember Joji Suzuki way back in the stone age gave a rare insight into this matter--insight from someone who played both VF2 and Tekken2 in hardcore manner. This was a lone voice in a sea of wannabes and pretenders. According to him "innovations" in Tekken were very subtle ones. To me, one immediate and serious Tekken impact on VF3 was whiffed throw. The clueless may not know the significance of this whiffed throw animation but it just turned "high-level" VF play upside down when it was introduced to VF3. But in addition Joji talked about subtle changes made to the oki-zeme mechanism. In VF2 rising attacks were near useless against determined and skill-horned attacker. But the elements in Tekken2 were incorporated into VF3 to change this.

Admittedly, I was not deep enough in Tekken to know exactly what he was talking about, but I am willing to take his word. His original post maybe buried somewhere in Rich's archive.

But beside, who gives the flying damn about who came up with what first. We the Koreans invented printing press before Gutenberg but who gives a damn. VCR was an american invention but when was the last time you used made in USA VCR? The Chinese invented gunpowder but that didn't help them when the Europeans came to them with superior cannons and guns did it?

If you start bringing up 2D fighters. there practically is nothing "innovated" by VF series either.

P.P.S. WTF is Boston getting VF4?

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks for the clip, Hyun.

LOL, how fucking annoying is Derrick's commentary? I think uk-guy's roll of the eyes at the end summed it up well.

3. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Wel well Derrick is a cool guy. (I will post pictures when I scan them) I mean, we all know that VF series suffered greatly from overly enthusiastic supporters in the West. (Or was that the other way around?)

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I just clicked mute on my volume control when viewing the clip.

Hyun - nice editing at the start of the clip. Send me an ICQ (#5836001) or PM me to figure out how best to transfer the clips to my FTP server. I can set up an FTP upload account for you, or just grab one clip after another from your Earthlink webspace.

Also would be good to figure out what kind of naming convention you use for your files, etc....

5. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

what type of file is this? It's an avi, but my media player (just standard win2K) can't find a decompressor for it.

grib.

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I dunno? I'm running Windows Media Player 7.1 and DivX codec 4.02, see if that works for you...

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Heheheh, I thought the comments were pretty funny actually.

Wow, the arcade setup looks BEAUTIFUL. The screen...sigh...

BTW Hyun, great clip, I love how you had it set up.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I remember reading that article; since I never really played Tekken all that much until late T3/TTT, Joji's article provided a lot of insights. However, the whiffed throw issue is one example where Tekken had a great idea but didn't develop it far enough. Making throw attempts whiff eliminated option select, but it didn't open up the guessing game like VF3 did when escaping throws is still a 1, 2 or 1+2 affair in Tekken.

But, I am being defensive here. Tekken is a great game and deserves its props, and it certainly influenced the evolution of the 3D genre.

P.S. Hey, pluses are still there, cool.

9. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Creed...convert to mpeg when you mirror. Please. As usual. Thanks :)

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

"Derrick is a cool guy"

Oh look....it's a flying pig!

He is not cool and he knows why.

11. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer. For now feel free to download it and mirror into your site. I will try to contact you later for FTP. And feel free to rename it too. But as far as converting it to MPEG, it would be better if I do it from the original source rather than REcompressing already heavily compressed file. So I think a better thing to do would be for CreeD or someone else willing to host MPEG files to to give me an FTP access so I can upload MPEG version myself. (I personally don't have space for MPEG1 files.)

12. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.earthlink.net/~esak/uk-vf4-firstclip.avi> UK Clip, right click and select save as, this will avoid streaming </A>

13. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Okay, mirrored the clip.

Hyun -- check your PM re: FTP upload.

Edit: uh... can't PM you since you're not accepting private messages. Send me an email instead? feixaq@pobox.com

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I'll store 'em. There already.
    I'll set you up with a name and password to do upload, if you want.

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Grib: avi's these days are usually encoded with divx. I recommend going to www.divx.com site and clicking the get it now link. This installs a complete package with codecs and a movie player. The movie player will in rare cases handle stuff that windows media player cannot, such as an incomplete divx movie.

If you want the bare bones necessary to watch it, click on the top tab that says products, then click the very first thing, The Codecs. The installation is easy and the next time you try the movie, it should work.

If it still doesn't, go to www.windowsmedia.com and upgrade your windows media player. Good luck. If all else fails, I will have it converted to MPG on my site.

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hyun, Thanks for the clip. Thanks for bringing part of your trip to this community/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Ice, if I recall, the "Joji article" was a usenet conversation between you and him, wasn't it? Just checking. But yeah, I remember that article too.

I like how the clip closed with UK Guy saying two certain words/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

17. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

of course, thanks, I suck. d/ling now.

18. koro128

koro128 Well-Known Member

FIght analysis

Seen the clip. You're seeing a very offensive Kage and a very defensive Akira, which was the reason Akira lost.

The main reason i see for Akira's lost is the failure to counter. The clip shows Kage using too many punches with
    no reply from Akira. There are also some mistakes from Kage's part but few.

Less than average battle, no TFT from Kage and also nothing much from Akira.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Huh, is that right? I honestly can't remember...memory's totally !@#$ed. How's Joji doing anyway? Anyone know where he is? It'd be so cool if he could make a comeback. He's probably the only VF2 vet that didn't play much in VF3 that I knew...

20. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> He's probably the only VF2 vet that didn't play much in VF3 that I knew...

He played VF3 for about as long VF2 had been out when VF3 hit. Presently, and as before, he's busy with med school.