1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of Realism in 3D Fighting Games

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Aug 5, 2021.

1. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Rather than copy off Tekken and Street Fighter, with colorful hit sparks and flashes, Virtua Fighter needs to move away from Tekken and Street Fighter's old style sparks/flashes , and use animations that make it clear what kind of hit, block, move, etc has just occurred. :cool:

As far as realism in the animations and body models if VF is going to copy off of anybody it shouldn't be Tekken, SF, MK, GG, etc. The future of realism in 3D fighting games look more like this with no sparks, no flashes and its very clear what's going on in the match. Its all in the Animations and Sound.:whistle:

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Virtua Fighter has realistic animations and historically trailblazed with motion capture. Virtua Fighter is not and has never been a realistic game in my opinion though.

Some people want to play Sega Rally, not a rally simulator. There is place for both VF games and combat simulators. Why turn one into the other?

beanboy and masterpo like this.
  3. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Agreed(y). Its Kind a like the difference between Need for Speed and Gran Turismo. Need for Speed has some realistic animations and models but its no simulator:LOL:
    I'm not suggesting that VF gets transformed into a simulator (i.e. UFC).

I am suggesting that the modern (forward looking) innovations that are being made in the UFC 3D fighters are worth taking a look at. As opposed to VF using Tekken, SF, GG, MK,etc as role models or benchmarks..

For instance, the UFC games have on screen indicators for who is at advantage in certain circumstances. This indicator would go perfect with VF. Its not intrusive, its clear cut, and simple. Also the UFC situational training tutorials are very innovative and VF would do well to take a few notes from EA's and THQ's approach to bringing the player up to speed.

Yeah, the point I'm getting at here is, if VF wants to borrow, or take inspiration from a modern 3D fighting game, there is lot to be learned from EA's UFC series and THQ's UFC series.

The UFC's games implementation of Tournament mode, Arcade Modes, Kumite Modes, Event Modes , their training modes (second to none) would all work in a VF context without changing VF's mechanics and would just make the game more popular and more realistic without making it a simulator or without slowing down VF's adrenaline rush.

The UFC martial arts games are also able to create the feel of visceral, intense, martial arts combat without the use use of Hit Sparks, or Hit Flashes. So RGG studios could take some pointers from these 3D martial art combat simulators( i.e. if the true goal of the VF5US HIt Sparks were to enhance the excitement during the match):confused:

@MarlyJay You know I'm an extreme fanboy of Virtua Fighter. I think it is a masterpiece , and the best 3D arcade fighting game ever made (bar none);). I'm also a fanboy of the UFC series and they are the best 3D hand to hand combat simulators ever made. EA's UFC games have recently began borrowing from the Arcade Fighting Game world by extending their customizations and stages to accommodate a broader fan base. Virtua Fighter would be well served to borrow some of the ideas from the combat simulators that just happen to have millions of regular players, from noobs to pros.

Yes many players of the UFC martial art simulators are heavy into mixed martial arts as a sport and a hobby. But the fact is the THQ and UFC 3D fighters also attract players who are interested in 3D fighting games of any kind. The UFC games are complete, feature rich , high quality 3D fighting games that feature Karate, Boxing, Wrestling, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, Brazilian JuJitsu, Sanda, Judo, and Sambo. So even if you're not a fan of the UFC but a fan of the hand to hand martial arts the UFC games have good value for the money. They have

• Career Mode (Story Mode)
    • Tournament Modes ( that support single player, two player, online formats)
    • Survival Modes
    • Kumite Modes
    • Event Modes
    • Deep Training Modes & Tutorials
    • Player Profiles (Single Player, Two Player, Online) with great statistics.
    • Replays (THQ;s Replay Modes are second to none)

These are all modern day features that should be standard in any e-sports fighting game including 3D Arcade Fighting games, especially Virtua Fighter. Aoki et al would be doing themselves and the FGC community a favor by spending a little time with these games:cool:

Virtua Fighter does not need Hit Sparks, Rage Art, Comeback Mechanics, Watered Down Movelists, or Streamlined rosters, and I fear, with the advent of the Blue, Yellow , Red, and Purple hit indicators we're moving away from VF's realism and more toward's Tekken's fantasy:mad:

VF should not become a UFC game. But it also should not become Tekken:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

I agree with that.