1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The gavel falls - which is better

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Ok, now that most of us here (not me sob sob) has had a chance to play VF4...in the end, which do you see ontop of the game - tb or 4 and why?

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

<font color=red>WHO R UR FAVORIET I LIEK PAI!@ DO U PLAYE TEKEN 2?/?/??? WAREZ MY CAT</font color=red>

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Give it a bit more time, for fuck's sake.

4. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

Re: The gavel falls - which is better (long)

I think it's a fair question, although just like VF2 vs. 3 I can't really pick one over the other, as they're quite different.

However I am more excited by VF4 that I ever was by VF3. In retrospect I can see that my enthusiasm for VF2 carried me through VF3 to a certain extent.

This is not to say I don't love VF3. It's a beautiful, solid, subtle game, and I was always a devoted advocate of it. I converted many people to it (although many more stuck with VF2). I imported a Japanese DC to Australia solely for 3TB... and then had to live with the average Genki port :meh:

But VF4 really puts together the whole package. I have not played it enough to be definitive, but it seems to me that it remains faithful to the VF heritage. If you know what you're doing you can block just about anything that is thrown at you. When you lose, you feel it's because your screwed up, not because the collision detection is bad (Soul Calibur) or because the fighting system is convoluted and stupid (DOA) or because the character balance is wacky (Tekken).

It feels like VF. End of story.

Sega have taken this solid foundation and given it a shot of adrenaline -- something VF3 sorely missed. It was rather stately :) A word I've seen a lot when people describe VF4 on this board is "intense", and I think that sums up the difference. VF4 has an energy and intensity that VF3 lacked, without the cheapness/tackiness that usually accompanies.

Not only does this increase VF4 mainstream appeal, it increases it's appeal to me. Not only is it a worthy evolution of the only 3D fighting game worth playing seriously, it's also really cool!

I really like where Sega have gone with the characters. Pai particularly is phenomenal. I'm not just talking move lists, I'm talking the whole look, feel and style. She's just plain cool in this game, her face is more expressive, her personality more developed.

Akira -- more weathered and aged -- is simply a monster. My favourite fighting game character of all time (I just wish my technique did him justice). His VF4 incarnation is terrifying, all power. Jeffry has gone totally insane. He's a more fully developed character: he's not just a mariner, he's an insane mariner! With insane mariner power!

The same is true of all the characters. Even Jacky (!) is cool -- his "I've done handcuffed lightning" win pose (where he kicks really close to the camera) is one of the coolest things I've seen in any fighting game. I'm not used to being able to say that about a VF game -- it's usually "I know it doesn't look lke much, but give it a chance..." when insisting that friends play. They'd complain that Soul Calibur was slicker, Tekken was cooler, whatever. Almost always they saw the light eventually -- but my point is that now this is not even an issue.

VF4 is flashier and cooler than any other fighting game, without sacrificing it's heritage as the best fighting game. I don't think VF4 has been dumbed down, and I think it's a true sequel to VF2. It's like VF3 -- while an awesome game in its own right -- was an experiment that AM2 decided not to repeat. Like they said "hmm... on reflection the uneven terrain didn't really add much to the game." That uneven terrain and the IK system that allowed the characters to traverse it is serious code -- you don't throw something like that away lightly. So I think it was a considered and correct decision. Same goes for the E button, which ultimately diluted the purity of the VF control system. I don't think the E button was bad, but I think the VF4 system is at least as good, while being simpler.

Of course this is all IMO and YMMV, etc. =]

So, in summary, I'm coming down in favour of VF4, even though it's early days.

5. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Well I agree fully with Gribbly on this matter. VF4 is the best version of Virtua fighter.

6. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

*ahem*
    Not really contributing to the topic..but I just thought I'll add my 2 cents on one particular area

In the test versions, Jacky's win pose as u described has a much better win quote. He says ' my move...just like lighting'! with a much deeper tone...

I for one, was crushed when I heard his voice being changed to the little girly tone again in the final version...the whole " yes, I've done handcuff lighting" just doesn't cut it for me.

I much prefer the other two win poses

On another tineeeey note,

Akira has the best intro IMO
    " Sa, Hajime luka "!

7. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Oof, strong words. But everyone has their opinions. I'm finally gonna get to play it today but I believe from a gameplay standpoint we do need more time. Plenty of techniques left to be found.

8. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

OK I agree that the actual phrase "I've done handcuffed lightning" doesn't make any sense. But Jacky's win phrases have always been embarrassing =] It's just his personality!

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Jeffry's intro where he knocks the camera down is the one I like the most right now, but I still haven't seen everyones...

10. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you that his Test version win pose was so much better but, I've tried to make sense of his Handcuffed quote. Perhaps, he's referring to the fact that he has contained the power (snort) of lightning within himself.

Yes, I am serious. FlAME ON!!!