1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Home of Chanchai VF on VFDC! (A place where I talk about VF sessions & vids)

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Chanchai, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

2. Chanchai

3. Chanchai

Dark Nova Void likes this.
  4. Chanchai

BLACK FRIDAY FIFTY BATTLE: Mold Monkey (Eileen) vs. Chanchai (Lion)

On Black Friday I offered a 50 Game Battle as a sparring session with Mold Monkey because I believe it would help him get back into the swing of things in VF (it did, he would come back feeling pretty good on Saturday)!

I had a lot of fun with this battle and I really am enjoying any chance I can spar with Eileen!

I learned a lot too! After the battle I go into Dojo a little to show people Lion's Back-Turned game because Mold Monkey really hated fighting against it. People should definitely dojo it if they want to fight my Lion.

I also look at some things from Eileen's perspective a little, and it reminded me of a few points about Eileen's movelist design:
    • Eileen has a lot of moves that are terribly punishable, even though they do not look like they are punishable. People should lab Eileen to identify these and practice punishing the AI.
    • Eileen is super linear, she just has a few quick full circular moves, but there aren't many half-circular moves at all. This makes evasion strong for Eileen and Eileen's opponent should look for the exceptions to the rule--when to be aware of her full circulars coming in. This also can have implications for ring positioning.
    In the matches themselves, I believe that Lion's uppercut (2_3P) is crazy powerful against Eileen, so she should nitaku him every single time she blocks it and she should evade punish it to make sure he doesn't abuse it. There are a variety of tricks Lion can pull off against Eileen, including position swap when she does cannonball flip.

I learned a lot during this Gauntlet, thank you so much Mold Monkey! You did way better than you think in this battle (if you discount the first ten, our battle is pretty close to even!) and I hope we get to keep on sparring more!

TIMESTAMPS LINKS TO YOUTUBE
    0:00 INTRODUCTION & SETUP
    3:53 Games 1 - 10
    28:02 Game 11 - 20
    51:51 Game 21 - 30
    1:11:48 INTERMISSION (Mold Monkey had to Reboot)
    1:19:30 Game 31 - 39
    1:41:22 Game 40 - 50
    2:07:52 THANKS & POST GAUNTLET THOUGHTS
    2:09:14 DOJO On Lion's Back-Turned Game
    2:16:20 DOJO Lion's Uppercut
    2:17:04 DOJO Some Anti-Eileen
    2:33:30 VF TV - ahernan2013 (JA) vs VFnumbers (LE)
    2:36:38 END (Raid Target: metal butter)

5. Chanchai

EPIC AF FIRST TO TEN!
    Dark Nova Void (Sarah) vs. Chanchai (Lion)

Dark Nova and I fought a FT10 on Saturday & it was one of the most intense and stressful battles I’ve had (and we are friends)!

This video is timestamped, enjoy our epic fight! #VF5US

https://youtu.be/DZmNUoXX0Hc

6. Chanchai

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    TexasLion likes this.
  7. Chanchai

I HAVE BEEN TRYING A FEW DIFFERENT STICKS/CONTROLLERS THE PAST WEEK!

So the past week I've played with the following:

* Sanwa JLF + Otto DIY V5 + Stainless Steel Pivot (12.5mm actuator, Square Gate)

* Sanwa JLF + Otto DIY V2 (12.0mm actuator & 12.5mm actuator, lower tension settings)

* Crown -- I think my friend said it was 6 series? with a Crown bat top. This was housed in a Mad Katz TE 2.0 with Crown buttons (with Cherry Silver switches)

* WASD installed in an Obsidian

#1 - Otto V5 with Stainless Steel Pivot
    My favorite was the Otto V5 taking the #1 spot for me, even if this setup is more associated with Street Fighter, I just loved how well you can feel the microswitches, that the slick action pairs so well with a smaller movement area (though under intense pressure, I found myself hitting the gate too hard), and I think that on top of the accuracy/control I was feeling, this setup would have the best stagger performance too.

#2 - All Crown Setup
    However, I really really loved the sensation of playing on the Crown Setup too. As far as I could tell, I did not have any accuracy issues except for the TE2 moving around the table I was playing on (I think my friend said the rubber feat were removed). First time playing with Crown stick and buttons and it was an exceptional experience--you feel like you know exactly where you are pressing the stick in the whole movement area and it still had good action in directions and neutral. It's definitely made me consider setting up one of my won sticks to be Korean style, though I am still wondering if I would like Ball Top on a Korean style stick. Makes me consider getting something like the Etokki Omni Fighting Stick just to have something that can be set to Korean when I want that.

#3 - Otto V2
    I like the DIY V2 very much too, but the hybrid approach loses a little to the pure approach (either pure Japanese or pure Korean). But I am planning to change some settings, increase the tension, and see if that will win me over because there's still a really cool idea in trying to get the great things from both worlds.

#X - WASD on Obsidian
    So I gave the WASD a serious try and well.. I have to say that the idea of the WASD input setup for fighting games turned me off months ago when I saw it. Um, while I was doing so-so with it, and almost all problems can be chalked up to learning curve and muscle memory... I really still do hate the WASD input setup. Especially after trying it. The concern that it so strongly encourages middle finger being used for both up and down gave me greater problems than I was expecting--and I was expecting problems. Also, VF's buffer is so designed for arcade stick that things like Half Circle motions have to really be relearned on this input method. To put it bluntly, I had a hard time doing Half-Circle-Forward Punch! I think I was 1 in 25-30!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  8. Chanchai

Sunday Morning & Sunday Afternoon VF
    December 5th, 2021

These sessions were pretty interesting and unique. I was trying out new controls as I modified some of my Sanwa sticks.

After sparring with @AdmiringMyHarley I played some games with players who I think "were raised on wifi or difficult connections." There is some frustration you can here on my part, but I honestly see these styles of play as things I want to understand better and overcome ^_^

Also lots of good chats and sparring with IceWizarrd and Axl!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    nou likes this.
  9. Chanchai

10. Chanchai

WE HAVE OFFLINE VF5 ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!

Last week, Renzo from NorCal came up to Portland and Seattle!

While he was up in Portland, I organized a private "open garage" VF session with him and we had a good time!

I have not had the time to timestamp these videos yet, but I will, since there are times when the wifi signal was weak and the stream cut the video. The weak wifi is also why the quality of the broadcast was low overall. That said, I hope everyone enjoys the matches on display!

Thanks a lot to Shinun and Hellsap too!

Part 4 is when Renzo shows me how frustrating it is to fight Taka's 4P+K! As Renzo would explain later, this move drove him nuts whenever he fought Taka players in Japan!

TWO DAYS LATER - ANOTHER SESSION WITH RENZO
    Before Renzo would drive on up to Seattle, I had another quick session of matches with him! Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  11. Chanchai

BACK ONLINE, RANKED WITH DATBOYKAM AND A ROOM SESSION WITH JIMI CLAYMORE AND DARK NOVA VOID

These matches took place on December 9th, 2021

I first play a set of Ranked with DatBoyKam! DatBoyKam is very pattern based, but they've improved a lot in the matchup since I first fought them and they've actually often given me problems! Today was no different--whenever I think I've got things down with Kam, they knock me off my high horse!

Jimi Claymore offered to play and I cannot refuse, I love fighting against Jimi Claymore! Jimi is smart and very strong, I believe he makes me stronger whenever we play!

Dark Nova Void joined the session too and as usual, it was a blast!

jimi Claymore likes this.
  12. Chanchai

13. Chanchai

Serious Sparring Session with Juicebox (and Rayblade X)

Over the weekend, I had a serious sparring session with @Juicebox_FGC and @RayBlade joined us too (as well as Frogzilla)!

Here are the matches, but also the followup Match Analysis that Juicebox did the following day! It was a productive weekend for VF!

SPARRING: Juicebox, Rayblade, Chanchai, and Frogzilla

Match Analysis by Juicebox

14. Chanchai

A lot of awesome stuff to catch up on here, but before that… @VFnumbers had an amazing 50 Game Battle with @ZERO/HIMA.J and here’s the video!

I plan to chronicle as many of these 50 Game Battles with Himajean as I can in an appropriate thread. I’ve archived some of them and will probably upload them to YouTube if permission is granted from the streamers, but some are lost to time.

VFnumbers likes this.
  15. Chanchai

For Christmas, I got myself a Snackbox Micro and I like it quite a bit! I will still be devoted to Arcade Stick, especially in VF where I just love the feel of fighting in VF with the Arcade Stick!

That said, enjoy watching my first experience and evolving opinion of playing with the Snackbox Micro. The first time I used this style of layout/controller!

It was a lot of fun and I got to share a lot of thoughts with the viewers! Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/iq5CcXjtnl4

16. SuntoryMalt

SuntoryMalt Member

This is a fun thread @Chanchai, it’s always nice seeing someone’s passion for the game shine. Nice stuff.

Chanchai likes this.
  17. Chanchai

Thank you so much, @SuntoryMalt !

18. Chanchai

So human Taka can roll and avoid Lion pounce after HCB Throw. For a long time it was assumed (outside Japan?) that Taka has to eat the pounce. But Renzo and I have found ways for Taka to avoid the pounce!

Renzo was able to do this offline and said it had to do with timing.

But I found a technique that’s working quite a bit.

I will make a video of this soon.

After the throw, Taka should hold down or up and mash G and P alternately, starting with G.

Check out the video and thread I made about this!

https://virtuafighter.com/threads/myth-busted-“is-lion’s-pounce-guaranteed-after-hcb-p-g-”.21811/

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    nou, Mister and akai like this.
  19. Chanchai

[​IMG]

https://www.sirlin.net/articles/des...uW1pqADECpFz5p23qFbEGhf-4RH-tL9s9mNOjz8PI5uO8

Puzzle Strike 2 is coming! It will be on Kickstarter this coming week and I am so excited!

The original Puzzle Strike IS MY FAVORITE DECK BUILDING GAME by far! It is incredibly competitive with great strategy and real tactics! You can fight your way out of a paper bag, even against an opponent’s powerful engine, but you had to have been paying attention and keeping your deck efficient!

Puzzle Strike 2 looks to be a different take but with similarities. I’m excited to see what Sirlin has done with this design!

Another game that Sirlin has designed which is also honestly one of my favorite card games is Yomi! Yomi is also very much based on Virtua Fighter and both games have very poker-like dynamics too!

Anyways, I highly encourage people to check out Puzzle Strike 2 and consider backing it when it comes to Kickstarter this week!

20. Chanchai

VF as a Team Sport is so awesome!

However…. VF on a desk chair can be goofy/funny…. LOL

o.0

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022