1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The importance of research

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Tsk tsk, Jeff.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Some people seem to be under the mistaken belief that VF4 Wolf's GS is a catch throw...it is not.

<hr></blockquote>

Ahem.

Page 92, section 38, seocnd sentence of the Black Book clearly mentions the catch properties of Wolf's GS.

Ahem.

Sega's own VF4 site, fighters section, Wolf's command listing. You can do the cut and paste yourself if you like, but the notes column says "upper catch throwing".

Do a GS in the middle of nowhere and watch Wolf move a ridiculous distance forward during the execution of the GS. It's a catch throw. Yes, you can reverse it. Yes, that's an anomaly to the rule of catch throws. But it's a catch throw - no two ways about it.

cheers,

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Well, gotta admit when I'm wrong. If AM2 officially designates it as a catch throw, then I will follow.

However, while the Black Book mentions the catch-throw like properties (I guess I'll get my Japanese friend to translate tomorrow, or maybe someone here can do it), the Black Book specifically designates it as a normal throw. Both in Wolf's section, and in Wolf's command movelist at the back. My private belief, totally unsupported, is that GS was a catch throw in Test/Ver. A but not in Ver. B. AM2 forgot to change their movelist, but it was something that the Black Book picked up. Or, for some reason or another, which I presume is well thought out, the Black Book decided to classify it as a normal throw despite AM2's website.

Do a GS in the middle of nowhere and watch Wolf move a ridiculous distance forward during the execution of the GS.

Do his KS and you'll see the same thing. KS is definitely a normal throw.

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

>Or, for some reason or another

Or maybe the proofreader had hemorrhoids and really wanted to finish the book up! Or maybe the aliens from Regztar-5 are to blame! Or maybe...blahblah blahh..

>Do his KS and you'll see the same thing. KS is definitely a normal throw.

You'll see him land the KS from a noticeably long distance, however if you whiff the KS it's just a normal throw whiff. If you whiff a GS Wolf lunges forwards a huge distance; it's a specific animation and it's no different from what you see when you land the throw.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

No, if I remember correctly, the KS whiff animation is the same as the lunging forward GS whiff animation.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Don't think so, Jeff. The KS has a regular throw animation, I think...

6. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Nope, it's a regular whiff animation.

7. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

nope,

I think the KS has a different whiffed throw animation from GS and normal throws. It is quite obvious as I practise 3/4 throw by doing it from far a looking at the animation to see if I got it right.