1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The latest info...so far.

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Llanfair, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Here's what IGN had to say after an interview with a SOA spokesperson.

Sega Re-Confirms Virtua Fighter 4 for PlayStation 2

Sega clarifies the difference between VF4 from VFX; explains its timing, decisions, and differences.

January 30, 2001

In the last two tumultuous days in Sega-ville, things truly have gone haywire. Last night Sega announced its plans to shift solely to a software house, and to complete its mission as a Dreamcast manufacturer for the remainder of the year. Sega also said that it would develop games for rival systems, including PlayStation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, and Game Boy Advance. Sega made the surprising announcement that Space Channel Five and Sakura Wars would grace PlayStation 2, but Sega also dropped the big bomb on PlayStation 2 owners by announcing that its core arcade fighting game, Virtua Fighter 4, would also arrive on PlayStation 2 -- exclusively. Depending on whose console or "team" you're on, this could be a good thing -- or a very bad thing.
    In the vernacular, the sh*t has hit the fan. Sega fans are up in arms (and not surprisingly so). Some are confused, some angry, or they simply left in a state of disbelief, shock, and even horror. How can Sega possibly bring its premiere fighting game to another system, and for that matter, to its biggest (perceived) enemy -- Sony? Today we spoke with Sega of America representative Heather Hawkins to reconfirm the official news and to explain a little bit of Sega's plans for Yu Suzuki's upcoming brawler, Virtua Fighter 4.

"All we know is that it exists," said Hawkins. "We don't have too many details at this point, it's pretty early. But yes, Virtua Fighter 4 is being developed for PlayStation 2, and currently not for any other systems. Right now it's a PlayStation 2 exclusive. That's the only system it's on because that's the system it was created for."

So, there you have it. Right? Well, things are never that cut and dried in life. According to a Microsoft source who asked not to be named, the newest Virtua Fighter, in some form or another, is also coming to Xbox. "Virtua Fighter 4 is coming to PlayStation 2 exclusively...but that could change," said Hawkins. Apparently, Sega hasn't revealed all of its cards just yet.

So, where is the root of the confusion? According to Sega of America, Virtua Fighter 4 is a different game than Virtua Fighter X, or VFX. Virtua Fighter 4 is being created from the ground up for PlayStation 2 by Sega's AM2 team, said Hawkins. "VFX is an arcade game based on Naomi 2 board architecture, and it's a different game," she said. "They are two different titles, two separate titles."

What's the difference between VFX and VF4? According to Sega, that's to be revealed. "Unfortunately, I don't know how they are going to different, if at all. They're both true sequels in the series because they both continue the franchise."

No matter what, the future of Sega is certainly going to be interesting. EA has already taken the offensive and warned Sega that it will have future obstacles such as long development times and other hassles. Sega, however, shouldn't be to worried from an apparently nervous EA, since Sega's developers are some of the very best in the world. After all, these are the guys who mastered the Sega Saturn.

But another looming question seems to still remain unanswered. What is Sega's platform strategy? Will it favor one over the other? Will remain "console neutral?" How will Sega decide which games to bring to what systems in the future? Hawkins explains: "We will pick and choose different systems -- we will be system diagnostic -- and we will choose these systems based on the game. There will be some games on all systems, and there will be other games that only land on specific systems. The criteria for each game are dependent on the specific game. The decision is based on a number of criteria, too, such as what features are best in the game, can they system technically support it? Will it be online, or not? Is it the right demographics, does it skew young or old? These are some of the questions that will help us decide which system or systems are best for our games."

For now, we do know that Virtua Fighter 4 is officially coming to PlayStation 2, exclusively, and according to Sega, it'll probably arrive in the year 2002. We'll have more on Sega and VF4 in the near future. And in the meantime, Hey Namco? Can you hear this? You better watch your step, 'cause Virtua Fighter is coming to town.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Sega has the series listed as "Virtual Fighter" on their arcade service page. The Japanese page listed both VFX and VF4 as Naomi 2 games. With that and a whole lot more against them, I do not trust one word uttered by these people (SoA). They do not have a fucking clue.

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

It's SOJ that I hate...they completely destroyed sega..if they did not ride such high horses...they would have transferred everything to SOA and let it run from there MONTHS ago...to hell with Japan..they never bought it..
    As for where alliances lie..I would just use XBOX to get capital.....the xbox is a stab in the back by Microsloth.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I dont believe the statement made by SOA either. I think we all have to wait and see. We'll wait to see the first screenshots Feb 22nd from the Japanese AOU show. I think what we'll see is VFX or VF4 running on N2. VF4 coming to the playstation 2, 2002 may be a conversion. But the arcade will be out first. Actually I don't think they are seperate games. I think VFX is VF4 for the PSX2 (which they may have started work on) and VF4 is for N2, same game.

CrewNYC

CrewNYC

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think they are seperate games. I think VFX is VF4 for the PSX2 (which they may have started work on) and VF4 is for N2, same game.

ahhh but in the true spirit of "no direct quotes" and
    "we're fucking you here but no hard feelings, right?"
    SEGA is probably relying on semantics to later justify
    its position. Remember, the PS2 VF is being built
    from the ground up! How could it be the same
    game? Cosmetically, sure it could look similar, game
    play, natch. But same game? noooooo.

What a crock of shit.

GE
    -Llany, what's wrong with these people is that SEGA
    always dissapoints. AM2 and Yu Suzuki are a
    different story.

6. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

The official VF4 site says 24 FEB now, not 23/24.

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

You cant blame SEGA for this. If you are going to blame anyone blame the gamers who saw the Dreamcast and went great games nah I dont need those. Just wondering how does SEGA always dissapoint I have always been fond of their work.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

8. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Their games are fine. Their development teams are
    fine. Like I said, I don't have a problem with
    their games or the teams that develop those games.
    SEGA, however, continually makes poor choices. Be
    those choices marketing strategies, financial
    strategies, whatever.

Consider their statement that they will support the
    Dreamcast as long as it remains profitable. how
    long will that be considering their current state
    and their admission that they will no longer make
    hardware and will develop games for their competitor?

SEGA should have made the move to be a software
    provider early on (like right after the Saturn fiasco)
    instead of releasing a machine they would have to
    dump early on.

Just an opinion. I am curious to see how the PS2
    VF4 fares. Usually SEGA rushes everything as though
    they have no clue about deadlines.

GE

9. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I agree that they continually make poor buisness choices. They seem to be a company of gamers instead of a company of buisness men. That is what makes SEGA great in my mind they make fun and original games regardless if they think they will sell well. No other company would have the nuts to bring out Typing of The Dead or Toe Jam and Earl or Samba De Amigo with controllers that cost eighty bucks a set.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

GodEater's comments are right on the money. And I agree with Rich and Andy that VF4 and VFX are going to be practically the same game. It would be stupid for Sega to develop two completely different games sharing the same name, heritage and probably target audience.

If it was "VFX" that was supposed to be exclusive for the PS2 (some online "experimental" variant of the fighting game maybe) I may believe it, but the idea that the name "Virtua Fighter 4" would appear only on the PS2 and not in the arcades seems kind of ludicrous to me.

Now that Sega has decided to focus on software on the home front, however, I do think their quality control will improve. They know they'd have to be a lot more competitive in giving their games polish.

And why are they giving the PS2 VF4? It's simple: widespread Japanese installed base, the market that VF is supreme in.

ice-9