1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

the movie shiri

Discussion in 'General' started by stompoutloud, Jun 25, 2002.

1. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this movie yet? It's for rent at Blockbuster video and it's a Korean action film. It's supposed to be really good and comparable to the top asian action flicks. My blockbuster only has one rental copy and I haven't checked it out yet. Anyone seen it? The movie title is Shiri.

2. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen it.

It's pretty good, but nothing spectacular. I thought parts of the film were kinda forced.

It is NOT like the HK films (i.e., John Woo stuff). Yeah, lots of guns and whatnot, but it's not the chow yun fat killing a billion guys by himself kind of a thing. A lot more realistic than that. It is a love story. So if you thought the love story in CTHD was really stupid and unnecessary, you'll fee the same about Shiri. Shiri is a lot more gory than CTHD, though. The opening scene is really nicely done.

Anyway, so yeah, not the superlative, but defintely worth at least a rental.

Of course, with any foreign films, don't watch the dubbed, but watch it with subtitles.

3. stompoutloud

Thanks for your review. Yeah, dubbed sucks when watching a foreign film. Gosh, trying to watch crouching tiger was horrible. Good thing I understand mandarine. lol. And the black mask..ugg... bad dubbing. (A chinese guy saying "don't bust my chops". still lol)

4. stompoutloud

Hey Agiao, I just saw the movie Shiri. I liked it, although it wasn't exactly how I expected it. I might buy it since it's only ten dollars used. How sad at the end huh? Poor guy.

5. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

glad you liked it. actually, i have the dvd myself (was a gift). yeah, it wasn't what i had expected either (i was expecting HK like stuff), but i liked it too, and yeah sad. asian cinema tends to like the sad stuff. and this one in particular, is very Korean in delivery.