1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The New York Event was decent but we can do better!

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Nappy, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Nappy

Nappy Member

I do not want to offend anyone of my Virtua Fighter Brothers I want to talk about the negative and positives of the NYC gathering event and look for feedback.

Venue- The event took place in an area of New York known as Coney Island or Brooklyn. There is a decent hotel around the corner. The Venue holds about 130 people or less. Out side of the place looked like a typical mom and pop store front. The place was air conditioned in the inside and when you arrive you are greeted by the clerks who run the store. They rent joysticks and sell card trading games plus refreshments. They are nice guys if it is not crowded they will let you bring your bike in the store. They have arcade boards throughout the store and lcd monitors to run console games. They have streaming equipment to stream games. The seats are worn that you sit in and the place looks like it needs a woman's touch to be more appealing. Their is one bathroom and it was not up to hosting standards. Players were allowed to bring in alcohol. I felt that as a host this should not be allowed . The Virtua fighter meet ups are held here every Tuesday if alcohol is allowed during the meet ups that is fine. However, when you are hosting a gathering and advertising it and want to grow a community alcohol will not grow the community. Furthermore, there were doctors, teachers and other professional people at the location and it just would not look good for them if they were questioned at a later date about being around a crowd that was drinking alcohol in a place where teenagers frequent.

Players and people- I met individuals from all walks of life some of them I saw on VF videos they were sort of celebs to me. Most of these dudes were above average IQ and they loved their hobby traveling miles to play some comp.
    Everyone was friendly. However, I feel the owners of the venue and this community in New York are not using the Virtua Fighter community and the venue to maximize profits and awareness. When I was streaming the So-cal tournament I did not look at the players I looked at the crowd and the people the players brought to the venue. That arcade in So-cal was conducive for hosting an event. I saw a sense of frustration from some of the players in the NYC gathering. For example, the noise was unbearable at times where some individuals were walking around with ear plugs. One high level player actually complained. Again the yelling and screaming/ drinking is good for a meet-up but not for a high level event that brought visitors to our region. Example- If you are a high level player in your 20's or 30's and you bring your girl or child to watch you play something you love would you bring them to this venue? You can not grow a community with that type of behavior. Remember this was not a Tuesday meet up this was an advertised event on the internet. There were three people who looked in and walked away. I saw this and thats when I decided to make sure I post because the NYC community with a little change in etiquette can grow and even host an early release party for Virtua Fighter 6. Please feed back! Please do not feel offended I just want more for my region.

There is more I will post more after feed back!

Basically I want these same dudes to host an event at a later date to attract high level players to our region and get sponsors to donate to tournaments.

BLACKSTAR, VFnumbers and Cozby like this.
  2. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    HAHA, I lol'd :D

VFhayato and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  3. Richkwondo

Richkwondo Well-Known Member

Oh crap , he's blowing up the spot. First. Next Level is in Borough Park, not Coney Island.
    It's not the Hilton, but what did you expect, its Brooklyn, not Park Avenue. I was at Sega Cup and the bathroom was out of order at Super Arcade, so we have one up over them. After Blondie's prude article about side bets at CEO, people should have seen this coming, and I wasn't expecting beer to be at NYG8 at all .

There were like 5 people or less drinking, don't make it out to be some kind of kegger.
    And please, don't make shit up. People didn't look in the venue and walk out appalled because of a couple people drinking. You're projecting your prudishness onto imaginary people.

I personally didn't want to drink because I was tired to begin with, and drinking would just make me even more tired. I need my reaction time up to par to compete. I brought coffee with me, and when I ran out, I went to the corner store and bought some more.

As for people screaming, people were screaming and carrying on because they were happy, and excited about the gathering. Take into consideration that every Tuesday at next level we have only 4 or 5 people there , at best seven. So having 25 VFers at Next Level was like Christmas. People express their elation in different ways , some yell , carry on and crack jokes. Some internalize it and are pretty much smiling on the inside, like myself.

Frankly , you wouldn't understand if you're an outsider. People were going off and having a good time because NYG8 was a celebration of Virtua Fighter, not really a serious tournament. Regulation east coast Tourneys are first to 2, not first to 3. People felt free to scream and celebrate because they were among friends, not outsiders who will judge them.

complexz, nou, Libertine and 12 others like this.
  4. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Im offended at the made up stuff this dude is kicking.. Its a GATHERING not Evo. Bathroom is decent, Beers is nothing new, No side betting, No Fighting, No Disrespect, Friendly fun enviroment with a old arcade gameroom throwback vibe..... To have 20 plus good vf players in proximity of one another is a success. Most of us is on each other friendlists so it was like a fellas night out.

5. Nappy

Nappy Member

Hey do not be offended I called you guys celebs dawg. I just want to improve on that scene so NY players can represent at pre releases instead of Fudo & LA Akira type people. All of the players at that location were top notch. Furthermore, I think the individual who was responsible for that event was also partly responsible for getting people to sign literature to bring Final showdown here to America. Dont be offended. peace

6. SDS_Overfiend1

Sega ain't Giving NY Nothing and it if was.. It would be at The Samsung building if anything like before like fight Club. We good as a self Contained unit... If You really knew how Sega operated.. you know you are preaching to the choir Family..

7. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

First of all. Beers was not given to minors, if it was, I'll be the first person taking it out of their hands. The hard liquor was behind the commentating booth. So if someone wanted a drink, they had to go through me. Two. Hayato was drinking everything. This was a private event. If this was a tourney, no cursing and insanity would be heard on the Stream full of 60 people watching. Everyone was there for two things only, having fun and saying how much VF5FS sucks. 3D fighters don't pull people in, period.

VFhayato, nou and SDS_Overfiend1 like this.
  8. Chefboy_OB

Chefboy_OB Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    NYG7 was super tight with just the hardcore. Many laughs and beers were had then...and I hope they did it up even bigger this time around. Hope I don't have to wait another 4-5 years for NYG9!

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

next year there will be nyg9. Just get your money in order for the trip!

oneida and nou like this.
  10. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Saving now. Who's gonna look after me?

Tricky likes this.
  11. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I'll make sure your butt is safe from roaming hoboes.

12. nou

nou Well-Known Member

The bathroom at Super Arcade was pretty atrocious.

Good to hear about NYG9. I'm was saving just incase for next year, but these gives me more hope. I wanna get down in VF2 and 3(if that's possible for next year).

13. SDS_Overfiend1

The Bathroom in NL is pretty decent. Has 3 different air fresheners. Soaps, working faucet and a mirror lml!!