1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The official "Tekken to Virtua Fighter" thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Triple Lei, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

I'd like to learn more about the wonderful world of VF, seeing as how Tekken 4 is looking rather bleak.

Some questions:

1) Is it even worth trying to learn Virtua Fighter starting with the DC port of VF3tb? And are there enough gameplay tweaks I should be aware of when I play that dilapidated VF3 machine at my local arcade (no doubt by myself)?

2) Is it already unanimously agreed that VF4 is far superior to its predecessors? No E button!?... -_-;

3) Why do some people prefer VF2 to VF3? I really don't get this one. As far as I know, based on that one Akira Kid VF2 combo movie, VF2 is more combo-friendly...? (don't you just love my logic? ^ ^)

4) Any tips for practicing alone, aside from practicing the moves? I went straight for Akira when I played it for the first time. This is not because he's the "Ryu" of the game (though I dunno about that)... I read up first, and I liked the manual dexterity required for his moves. DLC is kinda hard for me, but I can rub out a SPoD fairly easily... and on both sides, too. -_-; Let's just put it this way: I found it easier than a wavedash ewgf or wavedash WS+2, for you Tekken nuts out there. I'm still working on the knee, though I'm not entirely sure it's worth it... my fingers hurt after it :(

5) Are there any good sites besides this one? All of the links I find in FAQs are dead, and hardcoregaming.com/vf3 is pretty damn disorganized and dead (though it has nice multimedia, I guess).

6) Are there any VF players in the Los Angeles area...? (Temple City...?) -_-;

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

You could probably get a better response had you posted this in the VF section, but let me give your questions a try:

1. Yes, and why not? VF3tb is a great game and worth playing even without VF4. The biggest benefit of practicing with TB before 4 arrives is to orient your familiarity with the characters and their moves. There are enough similarities in 3 and 4 such that it could be worth your time, even if 4 is all you care about.

2. Not yet, too early.

3. VF2 is faster than VF3 and much more complicated in terms of finger dexterity, knowing what situations require what, and especially in terms of option select. VF3 is the type of game where a smart beginner can out-yomi an intermediate player and win, and a lot of people get discouraged by that and never get to the advanced level. The biggest reason, I think, is simply that VF2 had more human competition than VF3.

4. I think EGWF is bloody hard to get out, especially with Hei, but I have no problems with WD -> WS+2. If you pause for a fraction before canceling and making sure the stick goes back to neutral, you can get the launcher to come out with regularity. As for practicing alone...erm...don't exploit certain CPU weaknesses. Play the CPU as if the CPU was human. I.e. don't play the game to "pass" the game, play the game to get better.

5. FeixaQ's site is great. You can find the link somewhere.

6. Brian and Yamcha are in L.A. for sure, there's a few others but I don't know them well.

3. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Er...I'm no longer in LA, I've actually graduated from school and moved back to the SF bay area for the forseeable future.

Check out the thread "vf4 buttons in SHGL ?" in the VF forum, there are some LA players there you might wanna try and hook up with. Also, it's up to you, but you might also want to try out a more beginner-friendly character like the Bryants or Pai just to get you up to speed on the game mechanics.

4. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

DLC is kinda hard for me, but I can rub out a SPoD fairly easily... and on both sides, too.

It's not the matter of executing the sequence itself - actually connecting the SPoD on live, good opponent is what makes it tough ;) CPU is usually a SPoD cannon fodder.

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

1. Yep, yep, yep. While things such as recovery times and such have changed in VF4, the general game mechanics are very much the same, such that when Nick (chanchai) and I first laid our hands on VF4test, it was a relatively easy learning process. Sure, we had to adapt to VF4, but having played VF1,2,3, it was a fair bit easier than (I would assume) for a player who has never played the VF series before.

2. Not "unanimously agreed", but early signs are encouraging. VF3 was a hit in Japan, but wasn't quite as popular in other former VF strongholds such as Taiwan and Korea. VF4, on the other hand, is incredibly popular in those two countries right now (according to my Korean and Taiwanese friends). I personally don't mind the lack of an "E" button, but that's just my personal opinion.

3. I'm one of those players that prefers 2 to 3. Probably because I played 2 at a much higher competitive level than 3 (I had more time back then). In turn though, that's probably related to the number of competitors, which in turn was probably due to differences in gameplay mechanics... VF2 was a little more linear, faster paced and intense. VF3 was a good game too, but a lot of time was spent dodging around, Kstepping, playing throw-escape guessing games etc.

4. Akira is definitely worth practicing, especially using crouch dash to buffer his from crouch moves like the shoulder ram, single palm and double palm. That translates fairly well into learning other FC moves for the other characters. I'd also pick up another character to learn, just because Akira has the smallest repertoire of moves out of all VF characters, and if you want to understand the VF engine, just playing Akira alone is a little confining.

5. vfzone.com is currently down, I think. (shameless plug) Try VF4fx to see when a machine crops up in LA.

6. Brian (spotlite) and Kiuju are in LA, I believe. Yamcha (Dave) moved to the Bay Area. There should be a whole host of LA VF players, but I'm not the right person to ask about that...

[​IMG]

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

why I prefer VF2

3) Why do some people prefer VF2 to VF3? I really don't get this one. As far as I know, based on that one Akira Kid VF2 combo movie, VF2 is more combo-friendly...? (don't you just love my logic? ^ ^)

VF2 isn't more combo friendly. I love that chapter because 1/ I can take full advantage of good reflexes; 2/ it's fast and furious, a lot more than VF3; 3/ the gap between good and bad players is HUGE - it's virtually impossible for a scrub/masher/first timer to beat an expert, no matter how hard you try.

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

That's right. Plus, can you SPOD on counter? That's much harder.

Yamcha: oops, my bad.

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm...I found VF3 to be just as fast paced, but at a differen't pace. There was less initial violent action, but because of all the doging, I found it very fast paced...I will NEVER understand why someone likes 2 over 3...
    Also, on that note..why is it dexterity is praised in VF, but in Tekken, people balk about kings multi-part throws..calling the input excessive? Its the same memorization/dexterity...

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

9. Triple Lei

Wow

Thanks for the quick replies!

SPOD on counterhit... blah. It sounds good on paper, what with the counterhit damage and all, but let's try to stay within the realm of reality. It's like the slowest move in the game or something. ^ ^

Tell me more about VF1... Tekken 1 was fun at the time, and I guess it still is, but it had so much cheese it was unbelievable. For example, I'd choose Armor King and attack with a d/f+1. They could take the hit or block and get the stun, where I'd follow it up with d/f+2 which floats, and then juggle, and then pounce... all of which is guaranteed! Any cheese like that in VF1?

As for a second character, I guess I could go with Lion... he looks like he has some style. Kage... I would think that people would see through every set-up... that kick/throw/launch thing. b+something, I forget. And I already hate Jacky... f+PK, u+P... it's not only guaranteed, it's annoying. His annoying voice doesn't help things either.

Well, thanks again!

10. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: Wow

Aside from Jacky being a nasty overpowered pig, and Kage being pretty weak, VF1 is fairly well balanced, for the most part. It's pretty quirky and you have a comparitively limited set of moves and options at your disposal, but if you get a bunch of old timers (who know all the details and quirks) going at it at VF1, and even if Jacky is being used, it's a lot of fun.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

11. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Re: why I prefer VF2

Are you saying that its hard for an beginner to beat an expert in VF2 or 3? I think its true in both, but the probability of a beginner winning over an expert in VF2 was nearly impossible. In VF3 a beginner has slightly greater possibility of winning.

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

12. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Thats where your ability to out guess your opponent comes into play. You can Spod on a counter hit, your opponent might think you are trying to grab him and input a throw escape, this leaves him vulnerable to the Spod.

Spod works great in many situations, but you really have to work hard to see when you can input it. In VF2 you could hit someone with Spod when they were blocking, plus its execution of the first hit was much faster, it made the move very frustrating.

CrewNYC

[​IMG]

13. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

Actually I prefer VF2 SpoD than in VF3, in VF2 SpoD is just more common among Akira player. In VF3, I used DLC more common than I do SpoD.

I like it when you condition your opponent to block, and crouch dash SpoD was really fun.

Also in VF3, Akira SE, is reduced so badly that I don't think anyone uses it and I don't see anyone is discussing using SE in VF3. I don't know in VF4, but VF2, I loved SE. SE crouch dash m-SgPalm is fun.

14. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

If you think VF2 is combo friendly, you should try doing some of the combo in Akirakid video.

I know he makes it look easy, but if you see the timing and command input in going into the combo, you might think twice. Its not Tekken 10-string combo timing and input that's for sure.

15. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If you think VF2 is combo friendly, you should try doing some of the combo in Akirakid video.

I know he makes it look easy, but if you see the timing and command input in going into the combo, you might think twice. Its not Tekken 10-string combo timing and input that's for sure.

Don't be so smart ;) The combo in Akira Kid's videos are perfectly doable; some of those can even be expanded :p

<font color=orange>I probably hate you.</font color=orange> /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

[iSPOD on counterhit... blah. It sounds good on paper, what with the counterhit damage and all, but let's try to stay within the realm of reality. It's like the slowest move in the game or something. ^ ^[/i]

It's VERY useful. Imagine you just staggered an opponent, and you rush in. You think the opponent is going to DE, so you're gonna try to SPOD him. Instead, the clever guy does an elbow-DE instead...now if you couldn't SPOD on counter he wouldn't care, but if you could, damn, that would hurt!

17. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

18. Triple Lei

WOW!!!!

That was great... stuff like that makes me happy I'm sticking with VF ^ ^

And um, another question... what type of joystick is best for VF: Japanese (Ball) stick or the... American kind? My MAS stick (w/ original spring) is pretty hard, but I know I'm doing the command correctly at least. Or is this even a problem...? I have a Hori stick for TTT and although it took me a while to adjust, I found that the loose ball style stick allowed me to move faster... less time from one direction to another. Of course I did have to control it better, but hey, it's all training, right? /versus/images/icons/blush.gif

And if I did get it... I would have to make sure I got the Japanese DC stick, right? I've heard that the American counterpart wasn't made as well or something. My TTT stick is still kickin... 8 months, maybe.

19. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

Oh yeah they are doable, I can pull it off on Saturn, with about 50% success rate, I heard Akirakid back then were pulling the combo with amazing rate of success.

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Re: WOW!!!!

On the DC, most of us use Agetechs, and though they are not the best, with some getting used to they are adequate. I have no problems pulling stuff off and I have few problems transitioning to arcade Asian sticks (ball and square base).