1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The official "Tekken to Virtua Fighter" thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Triple Lei, Oct 8, 2001.

1. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

Re: WOW!!!!

I use the MAS stick and don't consider it as well suited for VF3 as for T3/TTT. Diagonals seem unnecessarily difficult on the MAS stick despite it bearing a square base and "cherry" microswitches. But since I've never used anything else besides the DC pad, I can't really comment on what would be more appropriate.

<font color=yellow>chingdude</font color=yellow>

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Well.. Good for you, VF is much deeper than Tekken will ever be..

3. MiKeY

MiKeY Active Member

Re: Wow

Kage may be weak but can be an extreme beast when it comes to evading and stopping moves. such as - ss, g+p+k - evading any head on moves and beaming them in the side into a small stagger leaving enough time to insert a quick - bb,k+g - knocking them down and guaranteeing an extra hit with the flying headbut - up+p -.

4. MiKeY

MiKeY Active Member

Re: Wow

ehh.. excuse that. but its the truth =) may it be relevant to your subject or not.

5. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

Chucky: I would really REALLY like to hear you justify that statement. What are you really referring to when you talk about depth? As far as I'm concerned, TTT is one of the deepest fighting games around. I am partially ignorant to VF I must confess, but to make a statement like you just did....elaborate please?

6. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Engine-wise, VF is Tekken plus terrain awareness (ie a limited ring).

To be *anal* about it, VF is deeper..

7. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

VF vs Tekken

Heh, Triple Lei, I didn't expect to find you here. I guess that's why I haven't seen your posts on EC or TZ in awhile. You may or may not know me, but I'm Cosmic Forge on those forums. I'm glad to see you've also opened your eyes to VF.

As for which game is deeper, I can't honestly judge. TF4 as of now definately has a cheapness factor that VF4 lacks, thank god. But overall, both games have elements the others lack, and both require different mentalities. Tekken puts more emphasis on juggles, whereas VF puts emphasis on raw toe to toe fighting and defense skills. T4 has taken a step more towards VF though in that the juggle mentality has been stripped to a degree.

In the end though, I think VF favors the "intelligent" agressor, whereas Tekken favors the "intelligent" turtle. Hopefully I can explain that better soon... :p

8. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Re: VF vs Tekken

Double post, sorry. Hopefully this fixes my sig.

9. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Re: VF vs Tekken

Triple Lei, ive heard your very good at Tekken.
    Ive also seen a couple of your vids, very nice.
    Im also trying to learn VF4, Akira the same /versus/images/icons/smile.gif. But ive actually never tried the DLC or SPoD, on a joystick, only my Sega Saturn controller(Fighters MegaMix), they are hard but i can pull them off. There arent any arcades around here, but im trying to get back to florida for awhile at my aunts. I'll be playing with those Rocky Replayers /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Engine-wise, VF is Tekken plus terrain awareness (ie a limited ring).

<hr></blockquote>

Errrrrrrrrrrr, like.. no it's not.

I must say, ignorant is just the beginning of what you are when you make a statement like that.

To begin with, the physics are way more sophisticated in VF. The repositioning/positioning (E-button contra 2 or 8 in Tekken) is, on the VF side much more thought out. All the standard moves (p, k) in VF have a faar lower execution time than Tekken (Tekken appears sluggish to beginners, and I know why, so don't start)

I'll take that as a personal insult, comparing Tekken and VF like that. I happen to like both games alot (VF more though) so this is not about discarding Tekken. Just... be more considerate in your statement..

/Mirkan

11. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Are you referring to VF's assistance/punishment of evading depending on if it's timed right? I think it's better too. As for what I said... *I* could have reeled off more reasons why VF is deeper; the namco boy in me was tempted by Chucky to post that, lol.

12. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Of course you could find more differences between the two, I just named the most obvious ENGINE differences.

As for the positioning, I mean in VF the axis isn't all fucked up. That's pretty much what I meant. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

13. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Sure.. VF has always had the deepest fighting engine ever, it has the most moves, deepth and really takes skill to play, unlike Tekken! what Tekken can offer is more a replica wannabe of VF without, blockcancel, ringouts and real 3-D that VF offers.
    VF1 was released in arcades in 1993 and exsactly one year later came...(wait for it) Tekken1! which also was buildt in a "3-D" ivorment which was not very normal at the time, when Street Fighter and MK was hot, anyways the same year VF2 was released was has more deepth than any Tekken game ever had, and the following years VF has always been released some time before Tekken, which gave Namco time to copy(steal) moves from VF and translate them to Tekken, VF has just never made it in the US and Europe, ppl. there mostly prefer games like Tekken which is much easyer to play and dosent require as much skill to play and has a colorful storyline which some ppl. think is somewhat importent for the gameplay?? but go to Japan and you will find that 90% of the hardcore gamers there prefer VF over 'copycat' games like Tekken.

14. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Calling Tekken a copycat is ignorant too imo. Oh well...

15. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Hey, give him a break. It's the first time he's posted something other than the typical "Me, too" response.

Chucky typed more than one line in that post. That should count for something!/versus/images/icons/smile.gif/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

16. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

HARHARHAR!

17. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Hrm..

Yeah, we've all heard that "but... but in Japan it's more popular" retort a million times over in those inevitable VF popularity threads. Which is about the only thing that can be brought up.

I'm guessing you don't live in Japan, Korea, or Taiwan, in which case, you must have piss-poor and / or non-existent competition. But you're that much happier playing the computer of the better game, right?

Until VF4 (which finally abandoned those god-awful character designs and other details, etc (and don't even start a "gameplay, not graphics" thing)), the series did nothing to draw in gamers... not to mention the shoddy home versions. Not all of us are drawn in with "well-timed knees," you know. Tekken has those VF elements (can I get some support from some non-VF raving fanboys here??), except that the "fun" factor is much, much... much more apparent. (much much much much much more apparent...)

Sigh... I had hoped that the high mentality required of VF would have weeded out the jerks on forums. Too bad.

18. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

Re: Hrm..

How did VF4 remove those "piss poor" character designs? There are only two new characters and the original characters haven't changed that much. I don't think they magically got cooler in VF4 but I've been playing VF since part one and I really started to like the characters in part 2 so maybe I'm not a good judge. However, a character's play style is way more important than that other foolishness (and this is coming from a rabid KOF fan) and VF has that in spades. I respect Am2 for having the balls to make a fighter where the gameplay comes first and damn near shuts out every other aspect of the game because that's what's truly important. I know I don't give a shit if Dural is still the boss. Gameplay has always been the VF staple and pretty obvious that's what Am2 was shooting for when they made it back in '93(look at the half-ass story for VF as an example).

It's funny when players will diss VF character designs only to praise a game that has a bear that has to get into his "hunting bear stance" for some of his moves. Or praise a game that has basically jacked your favorite kung-fu movie star/acting legend and put them in the game. Whatever yo. Don't get me wrong, good character design/good story is beautiful (KOF hooked me for life because of this) but it's only extra. VF had almost reached the level where none of that shit matters and players can just "get it on" like they would a game of chess (unless chess has a story I don't know about). What could be a better compliment to gameplay goodness other than that?

19. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Maybe I was referring to the CG art (and stages in general). I was like, "What the hell is that blocky thing on Aoi's head!?... oh, it's hair" It's just that the phrase "Sega doesn't care, so why should I?" comes to mind.

But don't misunderstand me. I can understand claims about VF being deeper. I can't understand claims about Tekken being bad, or even a copy to the degree mentioned. And I won't believe that I should feel 'bad' for even playing Tekken, me being the mindless, easy-to-please gamer that I am.

And I love it when slightly angry VFers say that gameplay really is all that matters (I believe graphics are a small but important part of the package), and phrase it like other game companies shouldn't even try to compete. I suppose I was asking for too much when I wanted something visually pleasing as well... but heck, I'm looking forward to the home version of VF4 more than Tekken 4, actually.

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hey Triple Lei, you're definitely not the only Tekken and VF fan around here (though in reality I classify myself as a Mishima/Paul scrub, heh heh). You have to admit, VF is funner at high levels of play...