1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The official "Tekken to Virtua Fighter" thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by Triple Lei, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Re: Hrm..

Well, over here in the US, some of us HAVE to play Tekken and/or MvC2 to have decent competition. I remain a diehard Panda player though (don't diss the hunting bear stance /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ) but unfortunately Tekken 4 attracts no one but Steve/Paul scrubs, for good reason.

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong or nothing, Tekken is not a sucky game or anything, and I know what im talking about, im the danish champion in Tekken 2,Tekken 3 and TTT and placed 5th in the Tekken 3 Ironfist world tournament back in 1999 and had a Tekken 4 board for quite some time now, soo I have played alot of Tekken and know just about anything there is to know about the game, still VF is just better in just about any way(read my above post) atleast in opinion anyway.

3. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

Gameplay really is the only thing that truly matters in the end. Graphics/hardware are important if it's essential to the gameplay. It's the reason why VF can't be a 2D game with stick figure characters and still be played like how it's designed today. Graphics in the asthetic sense are not important in the end. No matter how beautiful the game is sooner or later it will get old and it better have something else to show for. In the marketing sense yes, graphics are your god (with other factors) but that's not important to the true essence which is the gameplay. In fighting games (or comp games in general) it's even more enhanced because of the competitive factor between 2 players. These games ultimate goal is to bring 2 players together and have them battle it out using their reflexes, wit, hunger, and 1337 skillz. I'm pretty sure that Pai's wobblin' ( . )( . ) or the fact that Jacky's "handcuffed lighting" really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Dude, no one is saying gameplay is the ONLY thing that matters, the point being made is that given a game with near infinite depth and another one which is perhaps not so deep but has better graphics/extras/etc, the former would be the clear choice.

And I still don't buy the argument of playing a certain game just because it has or hasn't competition. Why let others decide what games you play?

5. American_Pai

Because comp is fun,mad addictive, and can push you to excel. I never understood the hoopla of sports until I started to play fighting games. I probably shoulda took PE more seriously in school because sports can teach good lessons.

6. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes

I certainly agree with you there. And it's twice as true for fighting games! There are lasting friendships made at arcades (though probably less today than five to ten years ago), and there's something just so nice about discussing strats and other stuff with the guy in line. (though that's harder today as well... damn noisy DDR machines!) Also, travelling for different or better comp wouldn't be on an international scale. On the other side, oki / ura / yomi would be pretty stupid and / or pointless on the CPU (ditto trash talking), and tournaments? Pfft.

On another note, I'm looking to buy the jpn VF4... is it "import friendly" - meaning, does the Japanese text get in the way for menus and stuff? How about the training mode? This wouldn't be too big of a problem (I have Tobal 2 and I got used to it), but I want to train alongside my cousin and English menus would facilitate the process.

7. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

AM2 didn't take "balls" to focus on gameplay and pass over everything else, it's just neglect. You sounded like a fanboy there..

8. American_Pai

You're probably right about the neglect thing but I'd rather them neglect the things they neglected other than something truly important. And yes I respect Am2 for that just like I respect Sonic Team for for Chu Chu Rocket, Konami for Suikoden, and Enix for Dragon Warrior 7 because it does take balls to assume your potential audience can look past graphical shortcomings in the age of video game "bling bling." As you may have noticed alot of people who play games are concerned more with graphics/extra stuff to unlock than the gameplay itself. One day graphics are going to peak out and they're going to have to go back to the old school ways of design games.

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

No, then there will be another transformation....just as there was with the move to 3D, I hope to hell there is never any backstepping...

10. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Hehe... even with OMF (a full-3D multiplayer fighter) the backdash is important, although it's not as effective as it used to be. It's grown to be fundamental to the kind of fighter everyone expects.