1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The REAL March Madness

Discussion in 'General' started by ice-9, Mar 7, 2002.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yes folks, I'm talking about COLLEGE BALL, not some silly VIDEO GAME tourney. =)

Any hoops fans out there?

Here's who I have in the Final Four:

- Duke
    - Maryland
    - Kansas
    - Oklahoma or Cincinnati

I can't make up my mind yet on the #4. Oklahoma was awfully good against Maryland, and Cincinnati was scintillating against Wake Forest. I believe to get to the Final Four a team needs to have a "go to" player, and Cincinnati has that in Steve Logan. But Oklahoma has proven itself. I have to watch the two play in their conference tourneys to make up my mind.

However, I think Okie State, Florida, and Alabama are way overrated. Gonzaga will make a run, but come on, not all the way to the Final Four.

2. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

IU. Now that Bobby Knight's fat ass is gone, Jeffries is going to bring the title here. Um, maybe.

3. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I smell Duke going Down in a first round upset. All I gotta say is go Creighton:)

4. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Bah...Kansas has always been sporadic at best when post-season play comes around. I'd put Oklahoma up there over Kansas, if I had to pick a Big 12 team.

I'd like to see Kentucky get their crap together and keep their players off suspension so they could have a good run, but I don't think it's happening this year. They have a number of very good players (unsung Cliff Hawkins being at the top of my list) and I really think the team would have done better over the year with Bogans seeing more bench time. He's been cold to much this year. His saving grace has been on the offensive boards, but it just doesn't seem like enough.

I think Duke and Maryland are gimme's. For the other two slots, I dunno. I'd probably go with Cincinatti and either Bama or Kentucky.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Roy Williams definitely has a monkey on his back--Kansas historically has never lived up to their #1 seed. But have you seen this year's Kansas team?? Wow, they are really good. Maybe even better than Duke right now (oh it pains me to say that). For the first time, they actually have a good guard (Kirk Hinrich) and Drew Gooden is probably the most consistent All-American this year. They are experienced, mature, and composed down the stretch, and I do think this is the year that Kansas can live to their billing.

As for Alabama, all that needs to be said is Mississippi, 56-84. Final Four teams do NOT get blown out by 28 points.

Kentucky has the potential, the Duke-Kentucky game back in December is proof of that. But, they aren't very consistent now, and I'm not sure they can play at a high level long enough to make a deep run.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Bah!!

*knocking on wood*

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

All I can say to that is TEXAS TECH. What a turn around. Fat as Coach Knight may be, and as bad-tempered, you have to admit this man is a college hoops coaching genius.

8. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

I'll give you the fact that Kansas has a great team this year, but honestly their not UNLV from Tarkanian's last year and their not a 95 or 96 (can't remember which year it was) Kentucky team. They have all the hallmarks of past "damn! what happened?" Kansas teams...lost a couple to teams that had no business being within 30 points of them, played all their powerhouse opponents but had very few "overpowering" games against them, ran up the scores on the little guys, showing their first 6 or 7 can run the whole game against *some* defense. Nope, I'm just not seeing it.

The UNLV of old and Kentucky's dream team took on all comers and for the most part annihilated them, regular and post season. The only time that the Kentucky team slowed down was in the final four and championship game, but they still won. The UNLV squad (if I remember right) had their close game in the third round of that year's tournament.

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Jeff, you better be knocking on wood during every Duke free throw...
    that's what will cost them this year.

I'd like to see Maryland win it.

Ahh... I'm just not into college hoops like I used to be...
    Cripes, I'm more up to date with what's happening in the English Premier League...
    gah! Leeds United just died over the past month...
    As long as someone other than Man Utd wins it... =)

10. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Holy, a yankee who's into soccer! Never thought I'd live to see the day. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

So if you follow the English Premier League, do u follow the other European leagues as well? And are you planning to follow the upcoming World Cup??

I personally can't wait for that... and am willing to discuss detailed analyses of all the top World Cup contenders when the time comes.... wooot!

P.S. I know you follow hockey a bit too... but do u also follow the other major north american sports? Are you a sportsnut like me? Am I asking too many questions??

P.P.S. As for March Madness, my vote is on Duke making at least the Final Four... been a Duke fan for over a decade now!

11. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I think its mostly because of my work hours for over the last year... I'm usually asleep or working when most of the big time North American sports are playing... I have to budget time more too, so I'm more selective with what I watch. The EPL is my favorite soccer league, but I also watch the German League. I'm a big fan of Bayern Munchen after watching them win the Champions League the past couple of seasons. Heh, this is a perfect example of why I like the European leagues-- B. Munchen plays 1860 Munchen live at 9:30 eastern time this morning. I get home from work at about 8am. I dig catching the EPL night games live at around 3pm local time. I would watch the Spanish League, but ESPN isn't showing there games anymore... Fox Sports World also shows soccer from Brazil, Argentina, Chile, France, Scotland and Holland, but I don't know those teams well and fear getting involved with any of them... not enough time. I try to follow the Champions League and UEFA Cup too. I'll be watching all the World Cup action that I can...

I used to be a sports nut for almost everything, but not as much anymore... I could care less about the NBA or MLB. I can never stay awake thru NFL games (see above) I watch hockey as much as I can... the olympics tournament was awesome. I usually tape the NHL playoffs. I yell at my drivers to not tell me the scores, and watch the games when I get home the next morning. If I know the score, I don't normally watch tape because it ruins the whole experience...

I consider myself mostly a racing nut. I used to watch everything and anything that could be considered racing, but have limited myself to only a few series because of lack of time... I gave up on NASCAR... it's just too boring now and there's no one (personality wise) that I can root for/against with any passion with the passing of Earnhart last year. I love Formula 1 and it fits my schedule perfectly... I can usually get home on Sunday mornings just as the race is starting when the series is in Europe. (I'm still pissed that they didn't red flag the Australian race after the first turn crash took out almost a third of the field /versus/images/icons/mad.gif) I also love motorcycle road racing-- GP bikes are the best (I can't wait to see what Valentino Rossi will do on a 4 stroke) and I watch all the World and US Superbike races that I can catch (Daytona 200 on Sunday...) Oh, I almost forgot. FIA World Rally!!! Damn, the best drivers in the world. I tape all their shows. Speed(vision) erm.. TV is now doing an hour show same day tape delayed for each of the 3 days of each weekend instead of the old way of 60 mins for the entire 3 day event. So cool.... tons of in car shots and I love it when the co-drivers yell at the drivers when they make a mistake /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

Moby, PM me if you want to talk World Cup, or if you think there might be enough interest here, post something in General... I know about certain players because I know them from the European leagues, but I haven't looked into the opening round groups that deeply yet...

12. feii

feii Well-Known Member

PSN:
    WEIHAO888
    NCAA, IMO is more exciting to watch than the NBA due to the fact tat the players are not realli playing for the money but for pride n glory for their respective schools.

it is more abt strategy and teamplay as compared to the NBA.which i think has plays which revolves around specific players.

im for duke this year.hehe

13. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Well, I entered my "wishlist" out in CNNSI.com's contest.

My rounds from the sweet 16 on were:

South:
    Duke def. USC
    Bama def. Pitt

West:
    Cinci def. Missouri
    OU def. Gonzaga

South:
    Kentucky def. Maryland (of course /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)
    Connecticut def. Georgia

Midwest:
    Kansas def. Florida
    Mississippi St def. Oregon

Elite 8:
    Bama defeats Duke (you know it's gonna happen)
    OU defeats Cinci
    Kentucky defeats Connecticut (of course /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)
    Kansas defeats Mississippi St.

Final Four:
    Bama defeats OU
    Kentucky defeats Kansas (of course /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

Championship game:
    Kentucky defeats Bama (of course /versus/images/icons/smile.gif)
    Tiebreaker score: 165 total points in the game.

Sure it's a REAL Looooooooooooooongshot, but gotta stick with my Wildcats...

14. Hayai_JiJi

Well Oklahoma State just lost to Kent State. Not off to a real good start. Now just gotta get Duke to choke:)

15. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

He said Oklahoma, not Oklahoma State.

OU has yet to play today, and they really shouldn't have any problems until the encounter Gonzaga.

16. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Damn, it looks like you actually called OSU and Bama right...OSU out and Bama down at the half to Florida Atlantic (who?)

17. Hayai_JiJi

Dont you ever contradict me in front of the children:)

18. Hayai_JiJi

Haha Creighton just said NO! to Florida:)

19. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Duke will make it to the final four. I see UCLA sneaking into the final four also.

20. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hahaha, but of course. It's too bad I didn't get the chance to enter any brackets, not like mine would be any good. Too bad about Gonzaga though, looks like I bought into all the hype as well. I never actually got to see them play, and had to rely on the opinions of other "experts." Pish. As for the Bearcats...that wasn't really an upset. UCLA proved that it can play with anyone in the country back when they defeated Kansas.

Anyway, from here on out, this is how I'll call the tourney:

EAST

Maryland defeats Kentucky in a close game.
    UConn ends Saluki's Cinderella run.
    Maryland beats UConn by double digits.

SOUTH

Duke destroys Indiana.
    Kent State upsets Pittsburg.
    Duke destroys Kent State.

WEST

UCLA doesn't play hard and Mizzou beats them narrowly.
    Arizona runs out of gas against Oklahoma's bruising style.
    Oklahoma destroys a tired Mizzouri team.

MIDWEST

Kansas narrowly beats Illinois.
    Texas escapes with a victory against Oregon.
    Kansas convincingly defeats Texas.

FINAL FOUR

Now that Kansas has reached the Final Four and officially removed the monkey of Roy's back, Kansas loses to Maryland.

Oklahoma had a tough run to the Final Four and just doesn't have what it takes to beat Duke.

The championship is a clash between two ACC powers, and while the Terps got the better of us Dukies in Cole, it is Duke's destiny to repeat.