1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The under dog Lau...

Discussion in 'Lau' started by Hellfire, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Lau is considered the under dog just because he doesn't have a long list of complicated moves that look cool. Instead Lau is more of the simple powerful type that can have many different options for a single combo.

So if someone could tell me some simple combos that deliver massive damage that would be most helpful. I know the very simple combos such as [3][P][P][P][K],[4][4][P][2][P][P][P][2_][K], but the more complicated combos that I'm having trouble with are [P][4][P][P].Thanks, and by the way my stats with player Lau are 766/222 "Stormlord" if that helps.

2. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Under dog is probably the last word that would be associated with Lau. He's anything but an underdog, mainly b/c of reasons you've already stated. He HAS combos that deliver mass damage, and as you'ev also stated, they're quite simple combos at that.

3. TomDC85

TomDC85 Well-Known Member

If your skills are bordering brilliance, here's one I love when I get the chance, extra great seeing as he has no low throws. Jump a low sweep, then release kick just before you land, comboed with [P][P], similar to a [3][K][P][P], but the kick always connects, and begins a float, meaning the elbow and palm connect. Not only that, but [P][4][P][P] is garunteed after that. If they don't T/R Q/R, use a sweep or double low kick for major damage. Always use a guessing game, even against a CPU, whether you will [7][K] or [2][K] after punches, and throw in as big a delay as possible. [7][K] carries nearly no risk even when blocked other than to very skilled players. Use [4][K]+[G] to evade attacks, then leave them guessing as to which back-turned attack you use. [8][K]+[G] beats rising attacks if you time it. Search this site, there is pleanty out there already. GaijinPunch is right, Lau is no underdog. Arguably the best character.

4. ShunAoi

ShunAoi Member

this is off the topic but Lau interests me and so does his story. anyone have any guesses of what will happen to him next? like if he will die or pass his style on or what? did he win the second or first tournament?

5. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

i think he won the second. Akira won the first and kage won third. am i right??

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Lau won the first one, Akira second, and Kage third. If anyone cares about such crap.

7. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

oh... sorry

8. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Try his charged double palm near a wall on counter and follow up with whatever pleases you. You can scrub 100 point combos easily.

9. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

or f+P+G--> wall hit--> PPPK works too

10. SoundWave

SoundWave Well-Known Member

maybe it's a glitch in the PS2 version but his [6]+[P]+[G] throw is cool but when you hit them against a wall with it(like many people say you should try and do) it only does 15dmg! sure you might be able to get a juggle out of it but the dmg of the throw is completely ruined by the wall! does anyone else notice this? why is it?

11. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

F+pg normally would slam you into the ground causing damage. f+pg facing the wall causes you to slam into the wall instead of the ground... there's less momentum, so it does less damage. Simple physics.
    Gameplaying wise, it makes sense to lower the damage as Lau can combo after the throw after the throw. Silly to have a wall throw doing 100 points of damage...

12. SoundWave

i wasn't saying it should do 100dmg just its normal amount, and you can't always juggle off of it when against a wall, can you?

13. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

I understand you meant normal damage. Ok, look at this way, if f+pg does 50 instead of 15 into wall, you can tag along some crazy combo after which can give you 100 points of total damage. This is something Lau does not need. In my opinion lau's throwing game is already too strong for him.
    yes you can always follow up after lau's f+pg wall throw.

14. SoundWave

ok cool i didn't realize that you were guaranteed a juggle follow up after the wall throw, i just started using Lau. His throw game doesn't seem too strong, he has some cool ones but i'm not really sure how to mix them in since you're left at quite a disadvantage with his PPP combos and stuff like that, i do love his 10dmg throw though for setting up juggles. By the way Shang aren't you from Mass? I was talking to someone else in the Boston vs. Rochester thread cuz i'm from Mass too, maybe once i get a little better we could play.

15. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Hey Soundwave,
    I live in Brookline. Jerky told me you live close to us. It'll be cool to play with you sometimes, don't need to get better before that. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. SoundWave

ya it would be pretty cool to see how i stack up against some serious players, the problem is you guys seem a lot more serious then me! i dont want to get my ass handed to me that bad /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif have you like imported Evo? do you play with arcade sticks?