1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The usual bullshit (was: Anti-TR Instant Death Guide)

Discussion in 'General' started by GLC, Jan 11, 2003.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

<font color="red">[whine]</font color> Why aren't there lines breaks? It's easy to put them in automatically, just use a decent editor. If you don't have any, set Outlook Express to 80 characters per line with courier new and save it in e-mail message body... it will break the text correctly (surprisingly). Also, putting in verion number in the beginning would be nice. <font color="red">[/whine]</font color>

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Re: Anti-TR Instant Death Guide

Is that why you rated the guide a zero, because of the lack of line breaks? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif I'll probably put linebreaks in. As easy as it is to put the linebreaks in for me, it's just as easy for you to save the .txt file and open it in notepad/wordpad with wrap enabled.

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

First of all, I didn't rate it a "zero" - I rated it "one". Why? Because I don't consider it a serious guide - it's a fun guide (struggable "combos" etc.) Anyway, that's my opinion, if you don't like it, tough.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Ha, that's not what you told me on irc. You said you wanted to point out the stupidity of the rating system.

Well, you're right about the rating system, and wrong about the guide. Some of the combos are strugglable and clearly for fun, but all of the backstagger setups are perfectly valid. I'm assuming people can figure out what to do with a backstagger once they have it.

I could have made a more boring type of faq which says "here's a list of crumple tools" followed by "here's a list of moves that produce backstagger" followed by "here's the single best backstagger combo." If you want to write such a guide, feel free. I've found that all of your criticisms up to now (including the ones on IRC) have been useless rather than constructive. "Why do you use move names instead of notation".. "why aren't there manual line breaks"... "where's a version history". Really GLC, who gives a shit?

Still, I don't want you to think I ignore the valid points, such as "strugglable combos" - which were already mentioned by ice-9. I'll update to include the best unstrugglable followup and put a disclaimer by the rest.

5. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

no line breaks make it look like sloppy shit, and it's a goddamn pain in the ass for people who want to view the raw text, which isn't a useless criticism. seriously, how hard is it to wrap your docs?

and version history/date would be nice, so people would know immediately what's the most recent - could you please explain how the fuck that's useless? hint - IT'S NOT.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Why do I get the impression this post is not a sincere attempt to help out the horde of virtua fighter 4 fans on VFDC? Maybe it's because you hate VF4, don't play the game, and probably could care less if 99% of the people on this site contracted ebola and died.

no line breaks make it look like sloppy shit, and it's a goddamn pain in the ass for people who want to view the raw text, which isn't a useless criticism. seriously, how hard is it to wrap your docs?

I can't speak for mac users, but windows word and notepad wrap automatically. Seriously, you right click and save the link, and choose open. I don't see how anyone can gripe about the 'inconvenience' of that. As for it looking like crap, I'm sure mac has word wrap... and if it still looks like crap, ... well I'm writing and viewing it in 80 columns, as you suggested during my last guide, which IIRC looked fucked with manual breaks.

I'd give serious thought to going through it and manually inserting line breaks if I thought you and GLC actually cared and weren't just going out of your way to be cocks.

and version history/date would be nice, so people would know immediately what's the most recent - could you please explain how the fuck that's useless?

A version history is something I have skipped over in every single faq I have ever downloaded in my life. I have 0% interest in the growth of the document or in making absolutely sure the guide didn't update by .02 versions while I was sitting on the can. Anyone who gets my faq will be getting it on VFDC, and if they get it on VFDC it will be the latest version. I will edit it as I go only in response to other's posts and when it's edited, I reply in the thread and say so. Undoubtedly you will say that's horribly inconvenient and slipshod faqwriting. I don't especially care. You're not objective right now.

As for the original comments you're defending...
    I recognize glc's nitpicking for what it is... the result of boredom and an itch to play the he can't scratch. Aside from the one point he scammed from ice-9, nothing he said contributed to the meat of the faq. I also recognize your comments for what they are: either the rich-glc mutual-suckjob-pact or an oblique shot that comes as a direct result of our recent squabbling. If either of you want to convince me you give a flying fuck about this or any other VF4 guide, or about the people who might be reading it, feel free to actually play the game and give me something useful besides "unwrapped text is making my eyes bleed".

[edit: Since I'm sure the future set of replies will be just a thrilling waste of time, I'm moving this crap away into General]

7. Mr. Bungle

>> Maybe it's because you hate VF4, don't play the game, and probably could care less...

no, it's only because i worked for years on the vfa, and care about text and faqs. who the fuck was it going out of his way fixing your goddamn combo guides, idiot?

>>..GLC actually cared and weren't just going out of your way to be cocks.

gosh, i made a valid negative point about the way you wrote your guide! i'm CLEARLY in a sinister conspiracy with GLC to slag you and your guide!

i wasn't, and since you're the one going out of your way to be a true motherfucker by pulling this bullshit... shit man, if that's the way you feel, then fuck you and your guide. it'll be your crowning achievement, topping your huge shitpile of laughably useless and error filled guides.

>>...02 versions while I was sitting on the can....that's horribly inconvenient and slipshod faqwriting.

way to exaggerate, captain hyperbole.

if you are updating a freshly released guide over a period of days where you are actively taking input from other posters, then yes, it's inconvenient and slipshod.

>> You're not objective right now.

Judging by what you've posted, neither are you, clearly..

>> the result of boredom and an itch to play the he can't scratch.

and it's probably better to not play the game at all than be recognized as a permanent (think years and years here) crappy mediocre player. someone who can't really do much, and never really could. better than some bottom feeder who just dicked around for hours on the home console version trying to wank out the best combo. i could be wrong, but then i'm not some retarded motherfucker who doesn't honestly believe everyone thinks the same way i do.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Ok rich, I've had to rewrite this a few times. I'm trying to pare it down, because sal's right - who wants to read a book? This in response to your claim that you "thought nothing of our little snit". You're not known for your quick recovery from snits. Ask almaci or tellure.

About the guide.
    1. You and GLC both valid points about my faq writing. It should be word wrapped. It could stand to have a version history. I could be more explicit by using move notation in place of VF jargon.

2. Your points were lost to me. Why?
    compare -

"the formatting looks like shit" and "exactly what the fuck is wrong with having a version history?"
    [==================================================]
    "nice work CreeD, a quick comment and correction"
    Followed by a valid point that the stuff is version C specific.
    --
    Do you see the difference? And GLC's points, how did those get lost? Maybe because he rated my guide a 1 and basically said it was joke.

3. I've seen you turn into a bitch and then become contrite not five minutes later. I've seen you ask yourself out loud "why am I like this?" What it boils down to is you present yourself as a complete prick, even when you aren't and even when you have something worthwhile to say. Your posts and your irc conversation is devoid of tact or tolerance. You can talk to a universally liked guy like tellure and call him a stupid worthless cunt. That's one reason why it's frustrating dealing with you.

4. The other reason(s)? It seems like you go out of your way to piss on your supposed friend. You ban florida from irc and ban ali not long after you claimed that you wish you could get rid of the KB button. You ask me how a gathering was, to which I reply "I did well, got some 20 win streaks", and you piss on that. I work for hours on creating and installing the vf trivia thing, and you nitpick 100 little questions for being too inspecific. I write this guide, you and GLC tag-team piss on it over nitpicky bullshit. I have a hard time accepting criticism and condescension from a pair of guys with less VF4 under their belt than a no-competition loser like CreeD. Add to that your near universal reputation for being the biggest dickhead on VFDC and GLC's reputation for being a master troll on irc... and you can see how people might not take what you say at immediate face value.

You give me the impression of thinking to yourself "I can't hang with people over gameplay stuff anymore, but I can at least show the world how smart and dedicated I am by critiquing his ability to write a faq." I'm not alone in thinking this: in the face of boredom, you dump on others to keep entertained. There's the mild bit of shit in the name of preserving the sacred art of writing faqs properly. There's the petty bans on irc, two weeks for ali, and a couple of hours ago while I was sitting idle. There's also the occasional troll grenades on VFDC like the "wahhh waahhh" post and the resulting snit with valiance. Six if your last ten posts are flames or justifications for flames laced with curses.

My point is that whatever you have to say, either in reply to this or in general, maybe see if you can bite down on the near overwhelming urge to talk to me like you'd talk to a pet who chewed apart the power cord to your computer and pissed in your bed. Especially if we're theoretically at peace and there's no need for it. I erased a pile of shit in this post, edited out the "captain hasbeen" and "king cock" references in the interest of seeing whether or not you can respond in kind.

Also, if I misread your intention, I'm honestly sorry. I'm not gonna feel too broken up over it though, the timing of your reply and the usual snotty tone makes it hard to feel guilty. I'll listen to your advice and add the frigging linebreaks and version history, maybe you can listen to mine and lay off the needless KB's and putdowns. Try to look at that in the same spirit I'm trying to look at the faq advice, and not as more wah wah liberal CreeD bullshit.

9. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Ho, ho, behold the mighty moderator! I'M MOVING THIS CRAP TO GENERAL! Anyway... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

CreeD. The problem with you is that you MUST ALWAYS be right. There isn't any other way than your way. This even includes you giving opinions on stuff you have no idea about. Everything you do, write, setup (vide irc fserve) is perfect - unfortunately, mostly in your opinion. Any critical opinions, and you're going all bullshitty defensive all of a sudden. I'm critical about what people do; like you know, and I'm sure have seen many times, I tell them everything right away about what I feel is wrong, annoying etc. And in my opinion, lack of line breaks, confusing notation etc. is not "nitpicky bullshit" as you call it, but an annoying thing that makes the guide harder to read and use.

Did I critique the technical value of your QR/TR guide? Nope. I just stated my vote for putting in a "some of these are struggable" disclaimer, as ice-9 mentioned it a few posts earlier; I feel there was nothing wrong with that. As for the 'fun guide' title - didn't you say that YOURSELF on irc? You did. I'm merely repeating your own words. And yes, different people's definitions of 'fun' may differ.

One more thing; is it my fault that Rich's and my opinions or views are mostly the same or very close? Stop calling us a tag-team.

I have a hard time accepting criticism and condescension from a pair of guys with less VF4 under their belt than a no-competition loser like CreeD.

Yeah, bring out the "you haven't been to any NYGs, you're not OFFICIALLY DECENT" argument. I'm not even going to comment on that.

10. Mr. Bungle

>> and GLC tag-team piss on it over nitpicky bullshit.

nitpicky? the stuff i pointed out WAS WRONG. gosh, i'm being such a nag to point out incorrect answers on a fucking trivia channel! even more horrible was me going through it and fixing your fuckups and adding stuff!

and for fuck's sake, the criticism of your guide had nooooottthhhing to do with experience in vf4, only the way you wrote your guide. why the fuck are you even considering that? it's totally fucking irrelevant!

and on your side, you can't take ANY criticism from ANYONE no matter how valid unless it's delivered to you with flowers and a goddamn blowjob. anything less than that and you turn into a bigger screaming banshee idiot than i ever could. everyone has to walk on goddamn eggs whenever an opinion of you or yours is up, and if they step a bit too hard, well good fucking luck to them.

>> Also, if I misread your intention, I'm honestly sorry.

you did, and badly. take the fucking original post for what it fucking IS. you are aware of how i talk - you just described how dealing with me can be fun fun fun quite well - and my post was pretty much goddamn zero on the scale of clear, intentional trolls. if only i had posted and not GLC this wouldn't have happened, but he did, and it set off all of these bullshit presumptions.

i fucking hate having to explain to you that i'm not some perverted league of destruction and nagging with GLC (i don't even know what the FUCK he told you about your guide aside from what you said here, nor anything about nagging your trivia stuff. get the fuck off it, already), that i don't share the same mind as you and that i'm not coming from where you usually think i am whenever i make some criticism, often no matter how nicely i worded it. if these posts are as long as your thought process on taking in and judging such a simple comment as my post, then...well....fucking bleh. why should i bother.

11. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

glc and rich, you both essentially say the same thing -
    Any critical opinions, and you're going all bullshitty defensive all of a sudden.

Maybe I don't take criticisms well, on the other hand maybe you don't deliver them well. GLC, you asked "did I critique the technical value of your guide?" .. well yeah you did, by rating it and dismissing it as "a just for fun guide, strugglable staggers, etc". That's a critique. But you're right, you're entitled to your opinion, and I should have just shut up and accepted it.

I should leave it at that, or else I'll be accused of always trying to be right, but to bungle: I stand by the points that were valid. Yes your original post was, in tone, a 1 on the flame-o-meter. Why can't you make it a zero? That's not asking for a candy-coated blowjob, it's asking for basic decency towards the people you call friends. GLC does it and there's no discomfort between us as a result.

You can say there's no difference between "why'd you do that" and "what the FUCK did you do THAT for?"... but there is, and the difference is why I'm not going to let you label me as oversensitive and put all the blame on my shoulders. I can sense you're going to dismiss the difference as slight. But just understand that if I were as shittily defensive as GLC and you claim, why did I not slag myke and ice-9 for their equally valid points?

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Why don't you all settle this in a quake deathmatch?

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

GLC's server, to make it fair.

14. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

KILL, KILL, KILL! I can't believe you guys are so VIOLENT! I say, anger management!

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I know! Let's have a VF2 Bukkake Party!

16. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Bukkake really seems to float your boat, vide that Mt Dora incident!

P.S. So this thread did turn into crap after all.

17. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

okay all of this is between irc people. So why isnt all this on irc?

18. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

It is, and you're seeing things.