1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Virtua Fighter manga

Discussion in 'General' started by El_Twelve, Jul 7, 2019.

1. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

Cleaning out some of my old junk and uncovered a copy of one of the Virtua Fighter manga which was produced during the VF2 era. This copy will shortly be on its way to the hands of another Virtua Fighter fan.

20190708_113516.jpg

There were at least 2 volumes of these produced, and as far as I know each one is a self contained story.

They were drawn by Yoshihide Fujiwara, who also drew the manga Kenji. This is significant because Kenji was a huge influence on Yu Suzuki and the development of Virtua Fighter, as well as the spread of Chinese martial arts in Japan. In fact, a bunch of Akira's signature moves are prominently featured in Kenji, so for the author to do the Virtua Fighter manga is like coming full circle.

The Virtua Fighter manga unfortunately isn't as well done as the manga for Kenji. It seems to have been done on a tight deadline as the art and writing never manages to reach the same quality as in Kenji. The story in this one revolves around Akira advancing through the world martial arts tournament and uncovering a secret ploy by Dural. A fun read, with some of the usual manga/anime tropes, but it is what you'd expect from a fighting game story.

The back of the book has a bunch of short cute style comics strips.

Apologies for the low quality photos. I no longer have a working scanner.

Hurrhurr he fell into her chest.
    20190708_113634.jpg
    Kage tries to do his stomp on a standing Akira. From a building.
    20190708_113841.jpg

Lau beats the crap out of Pai
    20190708_113932.jpg

A couple of chapters feature fights aboard a moving train. This could have been a cool stage in the game.
    20190708_114054.jpg

Ringouts!
    20190708_114120.jpg

Right before Dural, Akira has to fight this huge Chinese guy with a helmet.
    20190708_114248.jpg

Cosplaying Dural.
    20190708_114404.jpg

VF Kids!
    20190708_121829.jpg

Virtua Fighter 2 cast.
    20190708_114653.jpg

2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Wow! I've heard about the VF manga, but never read it before. Cool.
    Hey, I see the Virtua Fighter kids manga there too. Cool!:holla:

3. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

4. El_Twelve

El_Twelve Well-Known Member

Nope. Different story from the anime as far as I know. Eva Durix and other anime only characters like Yang Weimin don't appear, at least in the volume I had.