1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Virtua Fighter Realism Dilemma

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Re: There is no Realism Dilemma

Is masterpoo seriously using the GAMING PRESS as a reference? The gaming press who is completely clueless about anything that has to do with how fighting games actually work?

2. Libertine

Libertine Well-Known Member Content Manager Brad Silver Supporter Content Coordinator

Reviews from the gaming press are typically very favorable towards VF. It doesn't mean that they know what they're talking about when it comes to "realism" or whatnot. I think po's point has to do with the perception of VF in this regard, not how credible the media's opinion happens to be.

Also, is "masterpoo" a mistake or was that intentional? [​IMG]

3. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Erm...just reading the first was enough. what was that? a credible opinion? please lets not take straight out homosexual trolling to be informed opinion?</div></div>

Hey I didn't say whether or not it was credible, its just a post homey... Take it for what its worth...

4. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Most journalists and magazines will admit they haven't a clue when it comes to reviewing fighting games, they don't have the time to give them a fair review so they give every game an 8 unless it's really obvious it's utter crap.

5. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

Hey I didn't say whether or not it was credible, its just a post homey... Take it for what its worth... </div></div>

Ah sorry Jinxhand about my comment,

I just want to point out that Po argued that VF is a somehow more realistic fighitng game than its oppostion and presented some link that made sense, even if you dont think they are good enough.

but the shoryuken thread was hijacked by a troll who did not play VF but saw some vids and found them boring. so it is not really relevant to the idea that VF is realistic.

but maybe i got this wrong (as usual!) so my apologies if im talking shit.

6. jinxhand

jinxhand Well-Known Member

It's cool... Most of those cats-- Ok some of those cats are just talking smack and really don't know much about it unless it has hadokens in it... There are some with honest opinions though, but its few and far between...

7. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay

Was on the first page, but works fine here.

[​IMG]

8. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin

I agree.

9. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

More realistic than some other games, doesn't make it realistic :p

10. MAtteoJHDY

MAtteoJHDY Well-Known Member

This is what I am talking about:

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iCZ13C18rHw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iCZ13C18rHw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

at 1.16, akira's yoho did not float Taka. This is the level or realism I would like to see implemented.

11. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants

But what is funny is that Wolf's 33P+K has no difficulty lifting Taka off the ground. Even worse, Pai's 3PP6P does the same at the same height.
    -----

This discussion has been done to death over the years here on the forums and at many gathers.

The real reason to why Virtua Fighter doesn't sell as well as Tekken/Street Fighter or Soul Calibur is brand recognition. Even my mom knows what Street Fighter is, and she is a dirty Polish immigrant who only plays online card games. While Soul Calibur 4 didn't come to arcades, all the previous ones did. As for Tekken/Street Fighter... ha. It's all about how Sega just dropped the proverbial ball when they just decided that it wasn't profitable to keep pushing VF in the west. And th... *keeps beating the fucking dead horse that has long ago turned into a paste like goo*

And as for "UPPIN' THE REALIZIM," remove all floats, mach-breaker like attacks, add rag-doll for randomized combos, and if an opponent hits you with a mid in the solar plexus, your character cannot move for the remainder of the match. Also, let blood loss be a factor, and maybe if you get blood in your eyes your depth perception gets hindered and your range suffers. Fuck, remove the health bars, have you ever looked above your head in real life? There is no fucking health-bars! Also get rid of Eileen, Sarah, Pai, Aoi, Shun, Kage and Lau, they're up against impossible odds. Eileen is like 10, Sarah and Aoi and Pai have anemia because of their bulimia, Shun's hip would break after connect with the first side kick (not to mention, his drink will spill and the opponent will slip! and Akira will get mad because it stained his family's dojo), Kage would break his ankles after falling from the sky like he tends to do, and Lau has fucking Tuberculous. Also what if your character doesn't clench his fist correctly? He could mess up his wrist very easily. And wouldn't Vanessa's 2704P+G also keep your character from every getting up again? Also there should be a way to mash attacks during throws, because I mean, they're just holding you in place, kick 'em in the balls for a crumple combo...

12. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeneric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is masterpoo seriously using the GAMING PRESS as a reference? The gaming press who is completely clueless about anything that has to do with how fighting games actually work? </div></div>

We agree Sega has done an horrible job of Marketing(Or Not Marketing) when it comes to VF.

All that's left is:

1) Box Art
    2) Gaming Press
    3) WOM (word of mouth)

For the most part the Box Art doesn't do a good job when you consider VF1-VF5 only one or two covers were even close

In the early days of VF the Gaming Press/Reviewers deemed VF as
    being more realistic, having more realism, being more believable than the other fighting games. In the very early days of VF it was referred to as a 'Martial Arts Simulator'[/size] I didn't make any of this up. I provided some sample links so that it would be clear that the gaming industry sees VF as being more realistic or having more realism than other fighters

So if Sega doesn't advertise/market a new player will get their perceptions about VF from either box art, or gaming press ,G4TV

My point was VF does not have anywhere near the same degree of fantasy as a MK, Tekken, SFIV, or SC and consequently it is not
    liked as well by the players of fantasy fighting games. And that's another reason why it doesn't sell as much.

In other words:

VF Realism is one of the things that gives it such a high quality reptuation, but its also one of the reasons it doesn't sell as much as other fighting games.

13. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Re: The Virtua Fighter Realism Dilemma

I agree, it's for those obvious reasons that prove VF isn't realistic.

14. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

It is funny how things drift.

The whole point of the thread is that VF is more realistic than its competitors (Not that VF is realistic). VF's realism
    compared to its competitors, makes it boring and not fun to most of the fantasy fighting game fanbase.

2D graphic sprites (Mortal Kombat)

3D polygon based graphics VF1 Remix

C'mon yall, this is easy.

The realism that is under discussion is the realism of VF compared to other games, not the game realism compared to real life [​IMG]

In the early 90's VF's 3D polygon approach to computer graphics was more realistic, fluid, and believable compared to 2D sprite approach to computer graphics that was used by MK, Street Fighter etc.

Street Fighter 1 2D Sprite Approach to Computer Graphics

Virtua Fighter 3d polygon (more realistic) approach

VF's choice not to include kangeroos, fighting pandas, fireballs, lighting bolts, magical mist, monsters, powerup moves, disappear-reappear moves, etc. is what makes it more realistic (less fantastic) than its competitors.

We are talking about 'relative realism' here. In the early 90's critics raved about VF's realism compared to other fighters at that time. It got superior reviews from the GamePress because of that realism.

Problem: Many of the players that like fireballs, lighting bolts, magical mist, fatalities, flying, fighting kangeroos and bears in their fighting games don't like VF because it has none of that.

Problem: To the extent that Sega markets VF, it targets to
    a crowd that prefers, fireballs, lighting bolts,
    magical mist, fatalities , flying, fighting
    kangeroos monsters etc in their fighting games,
    VF has none of that.

Dilemma: VF's lack of focus on fantasy makes it
    to realistic (not fun), (boring) for the true
    fantasy fighting game fan. On the other hand
    VF is not realistic enough to qualify as a
    sport combat simulator. Which puts it in a
    kind of a twilight zone for fighting games.
    Not enough fantasy for one crowd, and not enough
    realism for the other.

VF5R far more realistic than VF1

But VF is not as realistic as this fighting game

My friends, this has an negative impact on VF console sales. Even if Sega put the marketing behind VF, it still does not have enough fantasy for the majority of the fantasy fighting game audience, and it does not have enough realism for the sport combat simulation audience. With more support and advertising from Sega it would sell better, but still not good enough. It will never put up McDonald's numbers because its in a fighting game twilight zone.

The proof of what I'm saying is combined sales of VF5 on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Keep in mind when the PS3 first came out, it didn't have many games (some say it still don't) and VF was one of the first games available. Whether you knew what VF was or not, you were going to try it because it was one of the only games available. It also was one of the few online fighting games available for the Xbox 360 early on. So, it got forced exposure. People picked up the game, played it, and traded it back in and waited for Tekken and SC to come out on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Sega made sure it released VF
    on the PS3 when there was no other real competition and still, lots of the fantasy fighting game fan base rejected it.

Again, I love VF. IMO its the best fighting game on the planet. But the facts are the facts. It does not appeal to the typical person that likes street fighter or Tekken. Yes there are SF and Tekken players that enjoy VF. But the majority do not. I wish I was wrong on this, but I'm not. Otherwise, when VF was the only fighter available on the PS3 and PS3 owners was looking for something anything to buy for the PS3, VF should have sold like hot cakes, and it didn't [​IMG]

15. Kamais_Ookin

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin

I agree.

16. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

Hey happy birthday.

17. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Kamais!

18. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

Video Interview from AM2? "We make the styles based on reality"

Okay folks what more do you want. That interview was by some of the developers of VF right? [​IMG]

According to: H. Kataoka, D. Katagiri interview about Virtua Fighter 5 "We used real martial arts moves when we could"

19. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

please don't derail Kamai's Birthday thread.

20. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico

I think the lack of an Online mode was the killer for that.

I know I personally wouldn't have considered playing VF for more than a few hours if it didn't have Online for the Xbox.