1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The Virtua Fighter Realism Dilemma

Discussion in 'General' started by masterpo, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Probably Tekken 6.

2. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk

Tekken IV's Problems (I Stand Corrected)

Tekken 4 complaints (I Stand corrected)

@Colorful_Tengu I do not really think VF should be changed to a MMA type simulator. I do think the Tekken/SC crowd has
    for the most part rejected it. Although some Tekken/SC fans will play it, most don't like it (even when they have the chance to play it). It definitely does not appeal (in general) to the SSFIV, Blazeblue, KOF, MK,etc crowd.

So we're left we a small audience, too small for Sega to invest in regular console ports. We all agree it has a niche following (almost cult following).

So my question is would it sell better if marketed to the UFC / MMA fighter fanbase as a complementary game. For example in the same way many Madden players also buy NCAA football, Madden is not a replacement for NCAA, and NCAA is not a replacement for madden.

The idea is could a few "cosmetic"[/size] changes be made. For instance making the lighting a little more raw, (maybe even sinister) Making the stages look a little more like violence is about to happen (instead of a vacation will soon be underway). Finally swapping out half of the 'animations for the floaters'[/size] and replacing them with animations for staggers and crumples[/size] but leaving the game mechanics in place. I'm only talking about changing some of the animations and the mood of the game.

With those changes in place the UFC/MMA crowd might jump on it. That crowd purchases units at the tune to 3 to 4 million in the first year. Even if VF got half that, we would be good to go.

The reason I don't think moving more in the fantasy based direction will help, is because Tekken and SC have mastered that 3D fighting space. VF would be looked at as a lesser clone. And the fans would still reject it.

The current VF console fanbase is just not big enough to sustain it. IMO trying to buddy-up with the MMA/UFC fighting game crowd is logical. If not them, then who?

And to all my VFDC friends and foes out there, if VF is left just like it is, then we may have seen the last console release. PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 Version B, XBOX 360 Virtua Fighter 5 version C. With a dying XBL community and a handful of loyal trolls, flammin MasterPo [​IMG]

At least my suggestions would create enough controversy to put VF in the front of the news. The fighting community would be talking about it, arguing about it, dogging it, applauding it, buying it, trading it, reviewers would be reviewing it again, And the sports combat fighting market is not over saturated with fighting games, there is room for an uncola. [​IMG]

3. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    This game rocks for its day...

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xQB1rbagvc"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1xQB1rbagvc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

Commodore 64. All day.

4. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Sega's marketing department will be stepping up for VF next year. Big time. There is no need for stupidity like selling out the franchise or creating some contrived controversy to get VF in 'the news' or whatever. As hard as it is to believe, Sega is planning something major for the reveal of the next VF(5FS). They want to strike hard. The reveal will be greatly talked about, not just in the fighting game scene, but on mainstream gaming websites as well.

They've got the gun loaded but Sega sure is taking its sweet time to pull the trigger.

5. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

dude. if you take away the stupid what does Po have left? Leave him the stupid. It's Christmas after all.

6. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk

@EmpNova, Nothing would make me happier [​IMG] But we did hear a few years back that VF5R was coming, then we were teased with VF5FS. I truly hope you're right, and that Sega releases a new full blown console version of VF5FS with no holds barred. Oh I so hope UR right [​IMG]

7. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

And Sega is wrapping up a present as we speak...

8. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    The Greatest fighting game ever

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMAjObaTqzA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lMAjObaTqzA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

9. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    No... this version...

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IO5bTdbXZAw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IO5bTdbXZAw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

10. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

Used to have that on Amstrad CPC 464. Always went for the decapitation move. But that's what I mean about how revolutionary SF2 was when it first hit the arcades.

Did you used to have an Amiga Marly? I always used to be envious of people with that. In those days there was always someone with a better system/computer than me like the PC Engine (Turbografx 16), Amiga, Megadrive etc. That all changed when we got a SNES on Launch though.

11. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    Emp, I certainly hope you're right, but what makes you so sure?

Also my friend, adapting some animations, and perhaps some stage lighting, is not selling out VF. C'mon man be fair. I tried to emphasize the changes I think would be cool wouldn't require any changes in the game play mechanics.

For example designating half the cast as good guys and half as bad buys is a cosmetic change that would have a positive effect.

12. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Plague, yours doesn't have people kicking bombs, so is clearly inferior [​IMG]

Shoju, my Dad was big into technology so had stuff kicking about. Spectrum's, Atari's and Amiga's. What a world it was back in the day.

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Those bombz not even splodin' UR other bombz. O wait. UR game havin bombz that kick people? Cool

14. masterpo

PSN:
    lastmonk
    <object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RojezeqsxUE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RojezeqsxUE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

Backdrop for Virtua Fighter 1 Realistic Approach
    If you take a look at the last this and the last few posts, this kind-a illustrates my point about VF Realistic approach to Fighting game in comparison to the standards and classics of the time. Good find Plague, I had completely forgotten about these [​IMG]

Yep, I had an Amiga 128, but wow b4 my C64 I had a Vic 20, I think I still have a fighting game for that. I'm checking my software now. And b4 the Vic 20 I had something called the Timex Sinclair 1000 2k of Ram, expandable to 16k.
    There was a fighting game for that, but it was in a book, and I never got around to typing it in. It was all in Timex Basic. Now before Vic 20 and Timex Sinclair 1000, I had something called an Adam by Coleco well, I think it was b4 my Timex 1000.

Actually when we look at all of the fighting games from the early 90's many many of them had the concept of floats and combos. As a matter of fact those were almost the staples of any fighting game, that explains why although Sega was going for a new realistic approach, it had to include floats and combos in order for the fighting game community to even understand what Sega was releasing.

15. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

Dude you perfectly describe my sentiments against juggling combos. I don't hate them as a game mechanic persay but rather the aesthetics ruin they provide. And creating a game with awesome animation/physics without juggling is a tall order.

This franchise will truly die without innovation - now I've started doubting about maybe how good this game could be tournament level since fuudo himself has left the game for street fighter and has said he finds it borinh.

16. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

Itazan said the same when we talked to him at Evo. Not necessarily that its boring just thats its very old and SF5 is a good way to make money. Sad days! But oh well