1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The "Why did I lose" thread

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by westtrade, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Online rules, 2p wins in that situation all day [​IMG]

2. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    Lag is top tier.

3. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Lag is the great equalizer. Without lag players like Darthy wouldn't stand a chance. That's why he's scared to show up to offline events.

It's kinda like taking the blue or red pill in the Matrix. Shitty online players would much rather keep living the in their laggy dreamworld online than to face the "harsh" realities of lag-free games offline [​IMG]

4. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    It also kinda depends on where the person you're playing is from. If you talking bout vs overseas cats, it's not really even worth playing.

Even still, if your situation you're saying here is playing someone near by, there's still a lil lag and you just have to input your move in earlier. Chances are, the person you hit is mashin out twoP as he's getting hit to have it come out as early as possible where as you are propably looking at the animation to stop, then do your elbow.

Being at +4 then throwing out a 14 frame move to beat a twelve frame move doesn't give you too much of a gap to beat it, since in that situation you're pretty much now at a +two adv. So any kind of delay by you going for the single timed button hit press vs his hitting two punch rapidly as he's getting hit (note that as he's already swinging as he's getting hit to have his move come out as early as possible after recovering) will result in you losing that lil exchange.

If I remeber right, two frames goes by pretty damn fast. Like damn near the blink of an eye fast. So if you could have inputed your move just that much earlier and didn't, you lost what little advantage you had right there. And two frames isn't that big of an advantage to play with. Especially online.

I was kinda having this conversation with someone online a few months ago. That if someone wants to play the 'frame game" then you have to (and I can't stress this enough) be doing your moves as soon as you can/the game will let you. Or else the frame game don't mean jack most of the time. And there's such a thing as human lag too, and that's called reaction. If one aint reacting quick enough, they're giving up what advantage they had. Which also is why abare works good in situations/vs people who attempt to delay their advantage wether it be on hit, or on block.

Like I said earlier, frames are going by mega fast. Shoot, just go into dojo and turn frame display on and push a button normally and see how many frames that was.

Have yall ever noticed how in Quest Mode or in offline vs, how sometimes when you eteg you end up throwing them before it even seemed like you were done evading cause you was mashing P+G? It's cause sometimes we don't notice how much faster we can actually make the inputs. So when you was mashing, it came out as early as it could have. So if you at +4 and throw a 14frame move to beat a 12 frame move, you best had inputed your move as fast as the game allowed you to for it to come out. Cause if you waited just 3 frames too long, unless your move got some kind of speacial properties, it's gon lose that exchange. 3 frames goes by fast.

But yea, online you gotta do stuff a lot earlier than offline. Every time I go back into Quest or Dojo, my timing for throwing jabs after Akiras TFT is even messed up cause i'm jabbing too early. And the most noticeable one for me is doing the double palm after his B,DF throw. Offline I have to do it so much later it's crazy. Like the timing difference with that is so much, I could litteraly have done the double palm motion two or three times in between the timing difference of off and online.

Anyways, throw your elbow out earlier. And if you fighting someone overseas or with a not so great connection....I dunno lol.

5. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

i didn't play well enough

6. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

Yes. I have played offline vs. people who have played some amount of VF and they might even have trouble interrupting 2p2p2p with an elbow. The timing is easier offline, but unless the connection is pretty bad, it is totally doable online. This might be harder for people who play offline for a majority of their VF time since they would be totally used to offline timing. I rather like it when a player gets mad and starts hitting 2p2p2p b/c you can elbow them or use a 2p killer. I personally try to avoid using more than one 2p at a time since it might be sort of cheap, but sometimes I break my own rule.

7. Tha_FeauchA

Tha_FeauchA Yosha!

PSN:
    Medina_Rico
    Yea, you gotta react quick to elbow in between them. It's definently doable online to interupt multiple ducking jabs with an elbow under a good connection.

But when playing in a connection where evades aren't even coming out after x move is blocked when you should be able to evade , it's time to go lol, or play n get frustrated. Just comes down to how much lag one is willing to put up with.

Even in good connections though, the timing when you have to execute a move is still a little bit earlier, from my experience.

I'm looking forward to see how much better the online is for FS. I know it'll never compare to offline, but better is always welcome. And a good connect in vanilla is pretty good. So for it to be better will be cool.

8. westtrade

westtrade Well-Known Member

So I had my chance against Chibita and I lost. Its time to look back at the matches in detail an break it down.

The link to the match is here: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/318784367
    My fight starts at the 1:06 mark.

Match 1 - Round One
    Stage - Wolf (Steel Cage Down)

Round starts with mid kick from Chibita, I try to evade but fail. Chibita steps forward, I assume he will go for a throw so I duck and connect on a low punch. Chibita starts to back away and I connect on a 6p string that I cut short. I then go for and connect on double 3p.

This pushes Chibita back into great 66p range. I attempt 66p and miss. Chibita attacks with a mid punch throw that connects. I wakeup with a low kick that connects, backdash into a sidestep, block mid punch from Chibita, and connect on a 64 Throw. After Standing both Chibita and I are blocking for a half second.*(33 seconds left)

As I release block, Chibita connects on a high punch. Chibita then connects on a low punch to shoulder push that staggers my character.

Chibita goes for a High two string punch combo that I duck and counter hit him with 2p. Thinking that on the 2p hit Chibita would try to attack, I perform a high knee string. Chibita blocked all of the string and responded with a mid kick that I block.

Chibita connects on a low punch that that staggers my character when I attempt a throw. Chibita performs a shoulder push that I block and I attempt a mid kick with is blocked. I perform a 6p that is blocked and Chibita responds with shoulder push that would had hit me if I was still in a couched state.

I go for a throw that missed and block a incoming mid punch from Chibita. I perform a double 3p to give myself some space, Chibita blocks both punches, side steps to my right, and performs a side turned combo that connects. My instinct wants to attack out of side turn, but training kicks in and I go into a low block state. As Chibita rises from his combo, I rise and try to catch him in a throw but miss instead.

There are 18 seconds left in the round. Chibita attacts with a mid punch that I block, I attempt a low kick that connects. Chibita tries a shoulder push that I block. I notice Chibita is not blocking and I connect with a 86 KG (double knee). I won the round.

(Side Note - Chibita applies extreme pressure and forces you to choose the correct move to use in the few frames that he is not
    attacking. Anyone at the pre-launch party that that took a round or more from Chibita gets major respect from me.)

Round 1 Feedback:

The Good:
    Good movement and blocking.
    Did not mash buttons when while in a side turned state.
    Won the Round.

The Bad:
    I used very few lows in the round.
    Did not use 33pk (Jean's punch into a knee move) at all in the round.
    Overused 3pp to much in the round.
    Did not setup the use of Jean's knee correctly, and therefore did not get any combos from it.

The Ugly:

*With 33 seconds left in the round I could have went for a throw attempt that would have won me round.

Match 1 - Round 2
    Stage - Wolf (Steel Cage Up)