1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

The WINNER is ShinZ!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by baekhoakira, Apr 14, 2002.

1. baekhoakira

baekhoakira New Member

ya... you know... the 9th tournament held in doam....
    shinz as known as akira kid got a 1st with no defeat!!!!
    hey guys!!!!(especially creed...) it's a coplete victory!!!!!
    though he has put record on ' vs one hundred people ' 81wins/19defeats , i think it's not bad...
    because he has used only akira (his subcharacter) and until now he has not skilled in japanese stick and ver.C!!!
    besides shinz's partner (young-dae, moon-suk,woo-jin) joined the match together... and........ of course the match's name was exactly ' vs100people' but there were only ten challengers(who is proud of his effective power...and very high class..)
    so i wanna tell you it's an out of question...^_^

his main chara is lei-fei , jacky, shun, lion, jeffry,kage...
    like this he is an all-random player!!! (too regretly it's not akira....but i have faith in his akira play will better than jap's akira...^_^)

there are some notes (in japanese vf site) about his vf.net card...
    since 2days ago, his lei-fei (his super main chara) card is a matter of no defeats behind the back, numbers of victory.... what a crazy!!!!!

ps. they( the expedition team in japan) will go to tokyo to be face to face with renowned man like chibita, kyasao...^o^!!!!!
    please to hope for it!!!!

2. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Yes...he won todae...and unknown to u..many of us here are quite big fans of shinz.

So in all honesty..there is not need to come in here to annouce it...especially since I wanted to do it /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

but Sta783 beat me to it...damn homework!~~~~

And like you..many of us here look forward to team replays playing against c-chaps (chibita, bun bun maru, Kyasao [TEN KA MU SHO!] etc etc etc)

Despite what the results will be...I am sure it will be a damn good match....

P.S: please do not refer to the Japanese as Japs...it's not polite /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Hur...hur...expected that. Jap VF players are over-rated.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

eh, arrogant. It was arrogant to assume shinz destroy the japanese and arrogant to say the japanese aren't as good as they seem. Shinz did very well, and I can only expect his fellow countrymen to be proud of him. But let's not forget none of these opponents were tetsujin. We already know he can beat average players with 2,000 games and 69-72%. Let's see how he does against those overrated players who have 7000-10,000 games and 80-90%.

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Kyasao was supposed to headline the recent tournament in in Shibuya, but had to work (no joke). A guy on my team stepped in, and took the whole thing!

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hey, what's your team called?

7. alucard

Let us also not forget that there are no ver.Cs in Korea(not referring to weak consoles with CPU or a few friends as opponents, I'm talking about arcades with lots of real competent players), so I'd say that ShinZ did very well to adapt, and still do reasonably well in Japan.

The Japs have always been over-rated, just look at their sub-par peformance in Maximum Battle, heck even the Taiwanese did better than them. They play with their guts like a raging bull when they should be using their brains, half the time.

8. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

I think someone said it before, but please do not refer to the Japanese as "Japs."

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The Japs have always been over-rated, just look at their sub-par peformance in Maximum Battle, heck even the Taiwanese did better than them. They play with their guts like a raging bull when they should be using their brains, half the time.

Alucard insists that the Japanese are, and always have been, over-rated but it's important to note that the Japanese have never, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be the 'best'. Cut them some slack!

And let's not take anything away from ShinZ's exceptional skill. When you effectively say the Japanese aren't that good, you're implying that his wins don't hold a lot of weight.

Whatever the end result, I'm sure they're all having fun meeting and playing, and we're lucky we can catch a glimpse of the gaming through the movies.

10. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

we're lucky we can catch a glimpse of the gaming through the movies. <font color=white>Amen. </font color=white>
    I've really enjoyed both Toho's jacky and ShinZ jacky too. Good vid for all jacky players. Hopefully US and Canadian players will be invited for VF5.
    Thx CreeD for the mpeg for W95 fans.

11. alucard

Alucard insists that the Japanese are, and always have been, over-rated but it's important to note that the Japanese have never, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be the 'best'. Cut them some slack!

Well...there are people who seem to think that the Japs are the 'best', I disagree, nothing wrong with that rite?

And let's not take anything away from ShinZ's exceptional skill. When you effectively say the Japanese aren't that good, you're implying that his wins don't hold a lot of weight.

Note that I use the word "over-rated". I've never said that Chibita or Kyasao sucks, they are good, but ShinZ is just as good, if not better.

Whatever the end result, I'm sure they're all having fun meeting and playing, and we're lucky we can catch a glimpse of the gaming through the movies.

I agree.

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

it'll probably start a raging flamewar, but which country do you think has both the best players and the highest overall level of skill?

logically, it would make sense that whichever country has the highest number of players will produce the highest quality.

As for "the japanese play with all balls and no brains" or whatever ... that's ridiculous. It's not really fair to make that sort of generalization unless you've been playing in japan against other japanese players almost nonstop for the past 6 or 8 years. Even then, someone who plays in one arcade in japan couldn't make certain statements on the rest of the VF scene.

I detest dragging nationality into VF discussions anyway, but these sweeping statements about "the japs" is just grounded in ignorance. "All mexicans are lazy". "All polish people are stupid." It's garbage to think that being japanese somehow predisposes players towards unthinking, gut reaction playing styles. If anything, the japanese have a big reputation for brains.

13. alucard

Don't worry, this won't turn into a flame war.

All I can say is that I've got a friend who resides in Japan, he is a pretty good VF player, and he has played VF in several parts of Japan as well.
    I can read some Japanese and I visit some of their BBSs from time to time.

My conclusion is that:

1. The better players prefer style over function.
    2. They absolutely detest machi players/style.
    3. They have silly VF quirks like "no soccer boot(d/f+k) kick after K.O or I'll beat you up in real life".

Yes, critical mass does have an effect on how things work, but its not everything, other stuff like culture(VF culture) matters as well.
    And who said that the Japanese are stupid? I didn't.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

1. The better players prefer style over function.
    3. They have silly VF quirks like "no soccer boot(d/f+k) kick after K.O or I'll beat you up in real life".

1. I can believe this. Kyasao is much better known than skeleton, but skeleton's supposed to have a equally good kage, he just doesn't fuck around. Still, to say "the better players prefer style..." ... if they're better, then whatever they do must be pretty functional, no? If it was pointless style, they'd lose more and couldn't be called better players. And anyway, shinz is very big on style too, look at the clip with three stumbling trips in a row, or the one with the akira b,f+PKG... surely a spod would have sufficed, but he set up the low kick --> back stagger.
    I can't count this as a strike against the japanese, especially since I can see korea's best doing it.

2. Maybe, but so? Disliking the style doesn't mean you can't handle it, or have a poor attitude or playing ability. Aggression in VF4 works much better than it did in the previous incarnations, since everything is barely counterable. If balls-out aggression is the japanese style, VF4 favors the japanese player.

3. I've never heard of this. Every country has stupid people though, it's no reflection on what's 'typical' in japan, or how great players act.. I doubt kyasao or chibita do anything like this, but if they did, there's no correlation between being good at VF and being stupid about picking fights. They can be both, neh?

15. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

CreeD:
    My team is Kiba Ichizoku (Æ’LÆ’oˆê‘°ÂÂj
    We're ranked like 66 in the country or something. We dont' get all weird and politics. We have fun, and go out for beers & stuff. Of course, also talk shit to each other across the room.... well... maybe that's just me... the loud, lone gaijin. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Alucard

I can read some Japanese and I visit some of their BBSs from time to time.

Those two are total BS. The good thing about having LOADS of different players in one spot -- loads of different styles. Number #3 is particularly ludicrous by the way.

Yes, critical mass does have an effect on how things work, but its not everything,

Also the fact that VF4 has been out in Japan several months longer than most other parts of the world... save Korea.

CreeD (again)
    If it was pointless style, they'd lose more and couldn't be called better players. And anyway, shinz is very big on style too, look at the clip with three stumbling trips in a row,

He didn't invent that one -- it happens to me all the time... damnit. There's a LOT to be said about style in VF4. Case in point -- Kage's u/f K+G kick is a big seller here in Japan -- too big. Go in w/ Aoi, and reverse it -- you've just nullified one of Kage's most used attacks for the whole match. If they're half-decent, they won't do it again, as you can almost always tell when they're about to pull it off. Not to mention -- it looks kewl as shit. Always fun to win a gamble. And last but not least in style -- it's intimidating. If someone can look fancy while beating your ass, it can shatter your confidence... giving you the edge.

3. I've never heard of this. Every country has stupid people though, it's no reflection on what's 'typical' in japan,

It doesn't happen. I'm sure there's a few remote cases, but other than banging the machine, there's not much aggression once the game is over. A bit of a generalization, but it's generally NOT the Japanese way. Most of the time, you go talk to the opponent that beat you, and talk about...well... VF4.

16. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

playing vf4 in Japan, this means after the match do not pounce on the opponent or hit them right after they lost as a sign of respect (you know right when the KO shows up you can still control your character to pounce or kick or do whatever). well thats what i think he really meant all in the game not in real life. if so, then the real life player would get pissed cuz of disrespectful pounce or kick while they're down and would get into a real fight and yadda yadda yadda.

17. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Occaisionally I've forgotten this rule and thrown in a pounce or ground throw after a KO in the arcades here in Kyoto....no one's threatened me yet though /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

18. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Interesting, but I belive in many of the clips we DL, you clearly see Akiras, for example, landing several ground punches on a KOed opponent... So I guess not everybody follows it...

19. grant

grant Member

Maybe you look very strong in REAL fighting!!

Just kidding. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif
    No offence.

20. alucard

1. I can believe this. Kyasao is much better known than skeleton, but skeleton's supposed to have a equally good kage, he just doesn't fuck around. Still, to say "the better players prefer style..." ... if they're better, then whatever they do must be pretty functional, no? If it was pointless style, they'd lose more and couldn't be called better players. And anyway, shinz is very big on style too, look at the clip with three stumbling trips in a row, or the one with the akira b,f+PKG... surely a spod would have sufficed, but he set up the low kick --> back stagger.
    I can't count this as a strike against the japanese, especially since I can see korea's best doing it.

Yes most of the better players do fool around at some point, but they can only afford to do that when their opponents are inferior. Take the 3X stumbling trip for example. ShinZ was able to pull off 3X stumbling trips because his Yomi was dead on or superior that time(and he was leading 2-1 with a ton of life), but you overlooked the fact that his last attack(SPOD) after the 3rd stumbling trip was blocked, and even then, the tenth Dan Kage failed to capitalise.
    Spod would have lost out to Kage's elbow, the b,f+p+k+g was functional, not style.

2. Maybe, but so? Disliking the style doesn't mean you can't handle it, or have a poor attitude or playing ability. Aggression in VF4 works much better than it did in the previous incarnations, since everything is barely counterable. If balls-out aggression is the japanese style, VF4 favors the japanese player.

Depends on which character you are playing and which character you are fighting, aggressive play isn't always the best option.

3. I've never heard of this. Every country has stupid people though, it's no reflection on what's 'typical' in japan, or how great players act.. I doubt kyasao or chibita do anything like this, but if they did, there's no correlation between being good at VF and being stupid about picking fights. They can be both, neh?

Well...now you know, I didn't make this up, thats for sure. My friend's experience in Japan coincides with what I've read in the BBSs. Whether its a typical behaviour or not does not matter, the fact is that I'm not talking about an isolated incident here, its happened several times. There are other silly quirks that I haven't mentioned, but I can't recall all of them. Maybe silly quirks like this does not affect game play directly, it does have an indirect effect IMO. Irritable players can't be a good thing.

All of the above is of course anecdotal cause I don't have any scientific/statistical evidence, feel free to disagree.