1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

There must be another way to practice....

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by MIRACLE~!!, Oct 16, 2001.

1. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

Unfortunately for me, the nearest VF4 machine to me is located more than an hour's drive away; and with school and work I don't have much opportunity to make the hike and practice regularly.

I was wondering, is practicing on VF2 a good way to prepare yourself for VF4? The reason I'm asking is that I'm searching everywhere possible for the PC version of VF2. I figure that it's the best way for me to learn the mechanics of the game at my own pace. Has anyone played the PC version? Does anyone know where to find it? It's so damn old....next to impossible to find and I've been searching everywhere I possibly can...argh.

Thanks!

2. Buzzard2

Buzzard2 Well-Known Member

1) No, the PC version is not too great.
    2) Try amazon.com
    3) Get a Sega Saturn or a Dreamcast or a PS2

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://anyrpg.topcities.com>Fighter's Destiny</A>, a Virtua Fighter RPG.

3. MIRACLE~!!

MIRACLE~!! Member

Too bad I guess.....a Saturn should be pretty dirt cheap right now....but why do you recommend a psx or ps2? They only play the Tekken games. I hear the Saturn version of VF2 is more or less arcade perfect. I wonder how much a Saturn runs for these days...?

BTW, would you recommend playing VF2 in preparation of VF4? Are they similar enough to warrant getting a Saturn and the game? The reason I ask is because I have no VF experience whatsoever....and I figure VF2 is the best place to start since I hear AM2 returned to the VF2 engine with VF4.

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

I still play VF3tb on my DC, that's awesome pratice!
    /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. Buzzard2

[ Too bad I guess.....a Saturn should be pretty dirt cheap right now....but why do you recommend a psx or ps2? ]

I didn't recommend PSX, but PS2 is going to have (or has, I don't have one so I don't keep track) VF4 released on it. Saturn is pretty cheap right now though.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://anyrpg.topcities.com>Fighter's Destiny</A>, a Virtua Fighter RPG.

6. capercat

capercat Well-Known Member

miracle .. i had the same problem. i had a chance to get a saturn with VF2 a while back and i missed it, but thats still probably the cheapest way. the PC virtua fighter is really not so great .... and well i would suppose that if you got 3tb for DC it would cost more (even with DC prices dropping), and while having movelists closer to 4's, its my understaning that the control and system of 4 is closer to 2 than 3. saturn emulation is in a rather poor state so i wouldn't bother with that. i think i'm looking for a saturn cause that will be the cheapest ... and well there are a few other saturn games i would play.

7. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Ummm, I'd recommend getting VF3 on the dreamcast. While VF4 does have a lot in common with VF2, it's still built on the foundation f VF3, whatever the official line about it being the sequel to 2 is. VF4 has things VF2 did not, like 3-D movement and throw escapes for command throws. In addition, Vf2's cpu is kind of tricky, whereas VF3's is more like a real fight (even though it's still no substitute). Also, VF3 added many new kinds of moves, like Inashi, catch throws etc, and made throw commands, reversal commands of a consistant type through all characters (ie all high throws are done with P+G).

If you want to practice, play VF3. In the end, you'll be much more at home going from VF3 to 4 than you will going from 2 to 4. I think 3 to 4 is an easy transition, as I think 4 is more player friendly overall.

Spotlite

8. Buzzard2

I wish I had a Dreamcast...