1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

There's life left in VF5!

Discussion in 'General' started by Llanfair, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

It doesn't really work that way though. Just cause player A can beat player B, doesn't mean, player C can hang with player B, just because player C can somewhat hang with player A.

It's just like personalities... there's always foils to players and playing styles, especially in VF imo. I bet you that's why it works better with team competitions(where you assemble your own team.), so your teammates cover your holes, and you cover theirs.

With the case of me, Glory and Lucky, alot of times someone one of us had trouble with, one of the others could atleast hang with or have an easier time dealing with.

Nobody's perfect. And nobody wins every single time anyway.

EDIT: A big issue though with the US play, is that there isn't enough diversity and specialization, so if someone has that distinct style that can top everyone in the states, then it's all good. But in say Japan, that style might get countered and then there's trouble, I bet you, you find out how good or bad you really might be. And it could be surprising too I'd assume.

If you can hang with or beat a top player, it doesn't mean you're top. You need to be able to handle a wide assortment of players and playstyles, and unfortunately the US doesn't have that wide assortment anyway.

2. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

It doesn't always work that way, but for me it takes less weight from his commentary. I know I've had excellent performances versus some players who other people consider untouchable. On the same note I die horribly to people the same people think suck. Low_Sweep comes to mind (long gone from VF I might add)

But yah spot on that. I won't deny trying to rib shou a bit =)

3. CJA

CJA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    IzunaDrop25
    XBL:
    CJA25
    If u listen well on the interview with Naoya Tsurumi,he said something about I.P.'s and publisher's maybe if the right one comes around,wit the right proposal,we might just see something.

4. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h9mEkiwh0co"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h9mEkiwh0co" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9mEkiwh0co

Azusabo, I hope you don't mind me posting your vid here (figured this thread was the best one to talk VF love <3) but I gotta know, who are all those guys in the vid?
    I don't mean Kyasao and Konjou (and I think Sudden Death, although I've never met him) but who's the rest of the peeps here? Is that TWP towards the end?
    If anybody else knows too, please chime in [​IMG]

5. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

The guy with the dreads walking with Rodney through the Kmart is ghettoSHUN.

The large gentleman with the dreads is Vulcan.

The fellow sitting next to Kyasao making what looks like repeated SPoD gestures is Sudden Death I believe.

At 3:24 the fellow sitting down on the left in the blue is either Namflow or Supergolden...not sure there since these guys are twins.

6. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Is that Vulcan that currently plays online as Shun?

7. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Oh my god.....those Hori VF4 and 4:EVO controllers. How could anyone use those things after coming from an actual VF4 Seimitsu cabinet?

8. sanjuroAKIRA

sanjuroAKIRA Well-Known Member

Y'know, lots fellas in NA who had quality arcade cabinets in their area used those Hori sticks at home/gatherings during the VF4 & evo era.

I don't know if that's the same Vulcan. Could be? He was a Jeffry player but I *think* he might have also used Shun.

9. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    The guy in white at 1:53 is DaVonn, a local Lei-Fei player.

The guys at 2:01 is Kazu and Kyasao.

At 2:16 the first guy in red is Demetrius, local Jacky player. The second guy in red is Eric aka Rheinaoi, local Akira/ Aoi player. The large guy in dreads is indeed Will aka vulcan who now goes by REAL_JEFF_FREE. He lived in NYC at that time, last I heard he now lives in San Fransico. He mains Jeffry.

At 2:52 SuddenDeath chats with Kyasao (OMG Sal makes an appearance! [​IMG] )

at 3:23 SuperGolden is sitting down. I believe his brother Namflow was in Japan during the event.

10. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

ah nice shag! you just beat me to it! was gonna post the same. [​IMG]

yeah that was me explaining what was what we call SPOD :p

fun times..

11. VFhayato

VFhayato Well-Known Member

i wasn't even there at that time!

12. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Shou, let me bring you up to speed. Please lose the semantics with the word "competitive". When I travel to compete in a VF5 tournament, I am by association a competitive player. If I was simply a casual player, I wouldn't be entering tournaments. Now, as for how competitive I actually am? Well, I make that perfectly clear in my post. I play to the best that I can, within the time that I can devote to the game. Nowhere, ever, have I referenced myself as a player who would vie for a top spot in a large scale VF tournament.

I've got a book for you to read - Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures. In it, he discusses what mastery is, at the broadest level. At WCG in Chengdu, I witnessed mastery of VF in Fuudo's play. What you completely missed, Shou, is that my post was saying that the time required to get to Fuudo's level (or even a few below, as demonstrated by many many strong japanese players) is enormous and that NA VF players still have loads of time to invest in the game. If people played Quest Mode the same number of times that Fuudo has played in the arcade, they will improve upon their game from where it is today.

My point was that continuing to play VF5, not tossing it aside, will yield better players still. My comparisons to Starcraft and Warcraft were simply from the point of view that there are games that are "old" and have competitive and exciting scenes. While unlikely, I simply posted a perspective that VF could do that too - obviously on a smaller scale, but that the game can still be fun, can still generate gatherings that are more competitive than the last year, etc.

It was a "hey! Don't stop playing VF, keep playing VF!" post. Not a "hey! I was at WCG and I'm a world class player because I train hard in North America" post. How you got these confused, is well beyond me.

Amazingly enough, history does indeed repeat itself - clearly I've lived true to what I wrote years ago:

Personally I think it's awesome that simply loving the game and playing it for the fun that it is, got me a trip to China and a chance to play with a group of excellent VFers and fun people. What's your game done for you lately?

13. TheWorstPlayer

TheWorstPlayer Well-Known Member

Here! Here!

14. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

how do you guys keep up with all the major tourneys xD and know where they are? i mean i know WCG (being a counter strike players) but, i would like to get in to the VF5 circuit here even though i only got it on 360
    EDIT: online tournaments coming soon?

15. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

They are all posted in here. Just checkthe upper right corner in the event hud.

16. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

<object width="560" height="340"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNB1EUJg1-w"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CNB1EUJg1-w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="560" height="340"> </embed></object>

17. social_ruin

social_ruin Well-Known Member

Hey have u guys seen that mode coming on SFIV where a "party" of people watch, winner stays and challengers rotate in from the party. MAN i wish vf had that, that mode is AWESOME.

18. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    DOA done that ages ago. Most fighters already have that function.

19. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    I play HDR as well and it has the lobby feature. I believe Doa has it too, not sure though.

20. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Anyone else noticed a jump in players on Xbox Live playing VF5?

I can't help but think it's because of this Kamaage stuff.

I've seen people I haven't seen in ages and people I have ne ver seen before.