1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throw and Catch Throw strategies

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Mister, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Wolf throw game is the best in the game with his big damage but they can also play an important role in your ring position game.
    But before i say something about throws and catches i need to make something clear:
    When we do a Throw, our feet position become closed with the opponent, when we do a catch is the opponent that changes feet's position. Keep this in mind because is really important if you wanna contro the ring position with wolf's throws and catches.

[9][P]+[G] The Standing Shining Wizard: this one is my favorite. Wolf hits the opponent with the front leg and changes his position a little bit more than 45° to his front. DON'T DO THIS CATCH IF YOUR FRONT IS FACING A WALL OR EDGE!! Another important thing, Wolf will changes his foot position after this catch.

[6][6][P]+[G] Diamond Cutter: this does more or less the same thing the Standing Shinig Wizard does, but without changing the foot position.

Nothing to say about all the [4][6][P]+[G] since it's all linear and kinda obvious.

[8][4][2][6][P]+[G] Burning Hammer: other than being the most powerfull front throw in the game, this throw also switches Wolf's position with his opponent. So if your opponent is close to the edge, be aware of the risk and do a Giant Swing instead to finish the round.

[4][P]+:G Exploider: Swtiches position like the Burning Hammer, but this time with less damage and different input.

Stand Neck Clutch ([P]+[K]+[G] against punches)
    [4][P]+[G] turns us of 90° to wolf's back leg
    [6][P]+[G] turns us of 90° to wolf's front leg
    [P]+[G] turns us more than 90° but not a perfect switch. Wolf will stand up on the side he had is front leg.

Hope people may find this info usefull.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. TeeZed

TeeZed Well-Known Member

Didn't really know where else to put this so i'll give it a shot here.

From change (Holding your opponent from behind) If you use [P]+[G] You get +20 frames. From this you can use a toe kick stunner from behind giving about 72 damage, more than either of the throws which is nice.

Anyway, my question is why does EVERYONE seem to use [4][P] and then Screw hook for way less damage, Is it solely just so you can attempt a tech trap of some sort, or does it offer another advantage i've missed?

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [4][K][+][G]~[P]+:[G] from behind have pretty tricky timing and if you missed it, you missed, like... everything.
    Anyway, after change [P][+][G], try to go for [4][6][P][+][K]. Seems to be guaranteed and gives 79 or 82 (of a lot easier) damage

4. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

I agree with unicorn (altought i'm not sure unicorns exist), altought [4][K]+[G] ~ [P]+[G] was a nice option from change [6][P]+[G] in Vanilla, right now there's a better option whit is [4][6][P]+[K] combo.

Abouto the [4][P] combos, there's a stance specific if you wanna do more damage (you need to be in open) otherwise the [P] then screw is the fastest and safest combo to do.

5. TeeZed

TeeZed Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks for the info, really helpful [​IMG]

6. Lodrak

Lodrak New Member

I like to do Kenka Kick > DD5 after Change > Push. They can't block it and it does 100 (85 if you screw the input and get reverse emerald flowsion) damage, but I'm unsure if they can avoid it in some other way, it is 21 frames. Still, fun to do, I'll keep doing it until someone gets out of it.

7. Mister

Actually this should perfectly work on paper. The push from the back gives +20 and the kenka kick is 20 execution. I'll test this tnx for the tips

8. Mister

Ok i just tested it and it works, it's probably the most damaging thing wolf can do in that situation [​IMG] thanks Lodrak

9. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Kenka is 21f, opponent can duck it after Push from Change.

10. Mister

oh.. i tought kenka kick would come out in 20 frames. I've done again the test with the dummy programmed to duck after a while and it doesn't work.
    I tought that, since you need 7 frames to be considered ducked, it was garantee.

11. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Set dummy to turn and crouch in details. It misses every time.

12. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

This rule only applies to throw-vulnerability. For the purposes of avoiding high attacks, a crouch is considered ducking on the first frame.

13. Mister

tnx sorias, that explains a lot.

14. alexbib

alexbib Member

then do we know what the best move after change push is? Does [3][K]+[G] work? It seems it cannot be blocked (and I'm not sure why, do we have 20f or more? Does it take a while to block while back turned?)

15. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    It takes 6 frames for the opponent to turn to the side, so it really is +26, if the opponent doesn't decide to attack.

16. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [4][6][P][+][K]

17. alexbib

alexbib Member

I think this might be incorrect. As far as I can test, the 93dmg combo starting with [4][6][P][+][K] doesn't work when opponent is back-turned. I've not found a way to get above 82dmg with this launcher. Starting with [3][K]+[G] it's possible to get 84 by following with [9][P]+[K],[P],[1][P]+[K],[6][P][P]. Maybe there's a better back-turned combo I don't know (or is there a way to avoid [3][K]+[G] from +20 BT?)

18. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    [3][K]+[G] is stronger, but it can be blocked. At least as far as I know

19. alexbib

alexbib Member

I recorded it against myself after change, push and I can't seem to block it or otherwise avoid it. Let me know if you find a way [​IMG]

20. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    hmm... looks like you are right, nice find!