1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throw and Catch Throw strategies

Discussion in 'Wolf' started by Mister, Jun 24, 2012.

1. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

Not sure if this is the right thread, but it relates to throws.
    Does Wolf have any other crumple -> Low throw set ups apart from Deadly Move Knee?

I haven't seen any other moves that have this property, but it would be cool if there were. Also what are some setups to land that knee? It seems to be really slow, so I'm guessing maybe against someone on wakeup?

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Well-Known Masher Content Manager Wolf

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    while descending [P]

3. UgLee

UgLee Member

I was just trying this in the lab and no matter what I tried I ate the [3][K]+[G]

I like that.

4. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    It's that it takes 6 frames to turn around, add that to +20 after the push - you get +26 frames. And [3][K][+][G] 's startup is 24, so it's clearly guaranteed and there's nothing you can do about it (except maybe Aoi's BT parry).
    Btw, I'm interested in doing a [8][4][2][6] back throw after it. It does 120 damage, but it may be not guaranteed as the enemy can attack you out of it, or crouch, and you can just fail it 'cause throws don't connect on hit stun and there's not much time to do it before enemy turns.

5. TheEcks

TheEcks Member

Has anyone found any BH from behind setups. It may not be useful, but good to know in case of the situation. We could all use some 120dmg :)

6. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    The only setup for this I am aware of is :
    sideturned opponent, [K][+][G] MC = > 1 frame delay into [8][4][2][6][P][+][G]
    works only if opponent guards. And you need to add that delay, otherwise the throw goews through opponents back and whifs
    do not forget that using [1][1] is very fas way how to turn around while significantly increasing the distance between you and the opponent.
    Also from my testing it looks like the TRUE advantage after sideturn / backturn is 2/5 instead of 3/6 (tested with throw vs striking attack. If I work with +2/+5, I can connect it. If I work with +3/+6, the attack beats the throw. At least from what I saw).

7. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    There's also a kind-of-a-setup for this, after [4][P][+][G] in Catch or neutral [P][+][G] in Change. You need to do a dash or two to time it correctly and not whiff. It's hard to time right, and attacks beat it anyways, so it works only if the opponent is standing still. But sometimes it's worth these 120 dmg!

8. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    That is the problem. It works only if the opponent is standing still. If he do anything - if he even press [G] - then it will not work. That means it wil NOT work anywhere except dojo training :(

Also, you do NOT need to do any dash. 1-frame delay is all you need, the BH-like throws have increased range

9. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    Or doing a BT catch-throw, like Goh's... if he goes for that, he's basically stupid, but yesterday i managed to catch one goh with that twice in a match : D

10. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    loooool nice! :D That surely was hilarious :D

11. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    It became even more hilarious after he ate another BH to the face )

12. TheEcks

TheEcks Member

You should record it next and upload it so we can all see.

13. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    It's already recorded and uploaded ) Look for a wolf v. goh match by "bloodlusting". It was ~2 days ago.

14. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    [9][P]+[G] is pretty good on opponents who tech roll to either side after comboes and such and who don't press buttons on wakeup. Just learn to time it.

Also, Wolf's throw game is beaten by Taka easily, regarding to OP.

15. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

Yeah Taka's throw game being better is pretty dumb, also what's dumber that Sega did not adjust the damage on throws for the newly-extended lifebar for a ton of characters. What were they thinking?

16. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Taka's throw game is only better due to having two 80 point damage directions while Wolf has 100 and 75. In terms of versatility, Wolf's throw game is the best.

17. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    I'm not sure if you can include BH to Wolf's throw mixup since it's so slow at 16f, one could possibly see it coming and break accordingly at a high enough level, although I'd think that even the Japs just break 6 most of the time and keep eating F5. Wolf also lost a little bit of his versatility in throws from Ver. C to FS since they removed his old godlike neutral throw and nerfed GS's damage, but it's still there at it's basic level. [6][P]+[G] is especially good because it's a 9f throw so it can punish some stuff you normaly would have to force a nitaku against, plus the catch throws, I personally use Shining Wizard a lot.

Taka's throw game having 80/80 is the primary reason it's better yes, but I would't forget his neutral throw, which gives pretty good wakeups, his catch throw which forces a combo or 40/50 damage (I'd use the 50 one, better wakeups) Plus he has two throws which can either ring out or lead into a wall combo with your back against the wall/edge, something even Jeff has and I'd wish Wolf would too.

18. Unicorn

PSN:
    unicorn_cz
    XBL:
    unicorn cz
    100 % agree with what Yomi stated. I just wsh to add that Takas [4] vs lightweights can do 89 dmg easily.