1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throw changes in VF4

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Cause, Feb 6, 2001.

1. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

From DailyRadar

Yu - "In VF4, player's throws will now vary according to distance between fighters. We're also planning to add a new feature that enables players to land correctly after getting thrown -- since before all you could do was get tossed around."

- The VF Student -

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Actually, throw ranges already vary to a limited extent in VF3.

ice-9

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

4. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

The full quote for that throw-related sentence is, according to Famitsu US's page -

"Additionally, we will change how the throws are presented, which used to depend on different commands . In VF4, player's throws will now vary according to distance between fighters."

If this is meant to be taken ipsis literis , and I'm never too sure of translations, then it could mean that command-select throws may be out - however, I prefer to think that it's a combination of the two; that there will still be command throws, but regular PG throws will, not only regarding damage but also animation properties, vary with distance/elevation or whatever else it may be; it could still be that all types of throws will be affected by distance, and have their properties adjusted accordingly.

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I just reread the quote and you're absolutely right. As for the meaning of the quote...the intention does seem literal...it's a little bit too much automation for my taste if true.

ice-9

6. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

What i was curious about is it appears that there will be some form of *Quick-Rise* like in Tekken where f you get thrown, you can roll out of it, what do you guys think?

- The VF Student -

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know if I should be afraid of this quote or looking forward to it...

Does this mean that throws with the SAME input will vary (in terms of the actual throw animation) upon distance? I guess that's not so bad... I just hope the basis of the throw escape system isn't altered towards a universal type of throw escape. I like the "specific" throw escape system in VF3.

Curiouser and curiouser...

-Chanchai

Response to Cause:
    Quick-rise... I think I'll actually like that to some degree. In fact, I think it'll keep the matches at a fast paced. Depending on how it's implemented whether Okizeme is just altered or killed... I hope it is sort of balanced though with some disadvantages towards doing it (I'm sure it will be), such as a recovery time similar to a stagger time if not identical to a stagger.

8. GreatDeceiver

I agree - that, and:

"Also, to let those who want to try the game for the first time have fun, we intend to include a system that automatically protects players against some of their opponents' attacks by just pressing the "Guard" button. But it's really difficult to decide how much the system should automatically perform, though."

Keeping in mind that it's all in Yu's policy of making each VF more universally accessible, it still makes me uneasy.

At least the end of that quote marks his commitment to making the system work for both ends - making the game accessible but not simplistic; i.e. not having everything come out in an entirely automatic fashion, and rewarding high-level play options.

I speculated awhile back that the parry-reversal system from Shenmue could make some sort of appearance in VF4 - and I don't think it's an entirely bad thing; I'm confident that AM2 will make things work properly, given the proportions of both games - the system will have to be tweaked a lot, but I think it definitely could work in an interesting manner.

I'm thinking along the lines of a lower version of inashi - one that doesn't yield the same amount of time or attack options, but that would allow the defender to more easily respond and recover from normal PPP, PPK, etc. rushes - something that beginner players have trouble with; instead of being stuck in a defensive "hold" position, they'll have more possibilities of experiencing the attack options...

thoughts?

9. GreatDeceiver

Again, I quote from Famitsu's interview:

"We're also planning to add a new feature that enables players to land correctly after getting thrown - since before all you could do was get tossed around."

Yu is specifically talking about throw recovery, after you're thrown, and that has nothing to do with tech-rolling in Tekken or such games.

As a practicioner of Aikido, I was really looking forward to this technique being implemented in VF - I play Aoi most of all characters these days, and I find her fascinating in her verosimilitude with the real-life art. The only thing that's fundamentally missing from her is the ability to properly recover from certain types of throws through a properly-executed (command-wise) roll, such as there is in real-life Aikido.

In my opinion, an entire host of interesting strategies may open up from the implementation of a roll system (although I have strong reservations about it being an universal technique - it should vary from character to character, from efficiency to availability at all);

maybe one could roll to avoid partial damage from the throw, having failed an initial throw escape (or choosing not to escape at all) - again, the "roll" should be limited to certain throws, or throw types; in another situation/throw, one could even avoid the damage entirely, but put himself in a dangerous follow-up situation, open to retaliation attacks and so forth. It should be an "option-select" system, with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

I'm sure it would never be so banal as a universal "free-escape" after a messed-up throw escape, I have absolute confidence that, if implemented, it will be an entire system unto its own, such as the punching system or the throw system itself, subject to precise execution methods and with lots of intricacies to discover.

10. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Landing correctly after a throw: you can see that feature beeing applied in Shenmue( at least when I was practising with my dojo-budy, and only after specific throws)
    I remember that Ryo landed safely on his feet.....

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by nascarbryant on 2/6/01 06:02 AM.</FONT></P>

11. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Yeah that was cool (landing on your feet after a throw),I think all the worries people have had about Shenmue movement and things being implemented in VFX will prove to be unfounded once VFX is shown at AOU,I remember when a few people thought it was gonna be like Spike Out..hah.

I've been having weird fantasies lately where Yu repays our devotion to VF by flying us all to the US or JAP for a world showdown...ah maybe one day soon they'll hold a world VF tourney like the SF and Tekken gamers were blessed with last year.

12. Chanchai

Don't know about Tekken, but if you're talking about the USA vs. Japan tournament (which was not a world tournament), the event was independantly put together (sounds like there were many complications along the way).

I don't know when the next time an event like that will happen... Sounds like this year, they're just planning on hoping that some of the Japanese players will come over during the B5 tournament (sounds like some of them are definitely going), and those players are most likely doing exhibition matches.

It would be nice if there was a way to get some sort of regional-->national-->world tournament setup going, but the arcade market still has a long way ahead before anything like that happens...

However, I guess we can still have the lone VF vagabonds of the Western Hemisphere and the occasional pilgrimage to Japan. The Pacific Rim and Australia probably have a good chance of organizing something (heck, there was that event in Australia that Myke wrote a report about).

-Chanchai

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    world tournaments

Have we all forgotten about the Maximum Battle already?

I'm sure there'll be another on VF4.

14. Chanchai

Re: world tournaments

For the "newer members" such as myself, can you reiterate what "Maximum Battle" was exactly? I know of it, but I never knew what it was...

As far as I was concerned it was a big tournament in Japan that also had Korean players? See, I don't know anything about Max Battle, besides wanting to have a copy of the tape/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: world tournaments

It was a VF3 Tournament run by Sega I believe, with participants from various parts of the world. From memory this included mainly Asian countries, although I'm not sure if the UK was involved as well. There were various divisions: men's under 20, over 20, women's and.. umm.. you know, I'm not so sure about on the specifics actually. It's been a long time.

Best if you, or anyone else, searches for it with whatever means available to them. I know there were a load of posts concerning it on rec.games.video.arcade if that helps.

16. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

That's what I've been saying for the past few years. How about we organize a Japan trip with a bunch of VFers?

It was fun back when Minnesota and Chicago guys got together in Japan. We sort of had a Midwest vs. Japan team battle going too.

Oh well...now that VF3TB is nearing its end, I dunnot how viable such a trip will be.

17. Chanchai

Max Battle, Japan Trip, etc....

Well, I definitely would try. I've already been to Japan twice last year (airport only as a hub to Thailand), figure I could go (though Delta is bound to drop Japan, especially after the Portland incidences, however I went by United actually).

We could also harass Summers to go. I'm sure if it wasn't during school or an internship, Ice would go/images/icons/smile.gif Small group yes, but I'll jump at the opportunity (and tell my parents it's part of my research, which isn't really lying at all).

Any VFers planning on doing the "Teach English in Japan" programs? I'm not, but it seems I see more gamers in our age group going to Japan that way.

A Japan trip would be so nice... Still don't know where I'm working this Summer though...

-Chanchai

Additional Note: Of course with the current concerns of the Airline industry in the US, there's no telling what the effects will be imposed on the US traveling gamer front... Well, those that fly anyways, there's always been those that drove. For VF though, I don't think I'm gonna drive except to Seattle or Vancouver. Of course, I'm not that much at risk in flying, at least for two more years.

18. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

Re: Max Battle, Japan Trip, etc....

If anyone has any questions about teaching English in Japan, whether it be through JET or other means, I'd be glad to share my experiences.

-Jason

19. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm..ok..now this is upsetting...if the throws are litterally just based on distance... I think it is turning a great aspect of virtua fighter into absolute shit. I like having to be exact, I like guessing a throw escape and doing it. I like the quick rise idea...but KEEP command imputs..please..sega? Please?????????????????????

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Re: Max Battle, Japan Trip, etc....

Oh
    How nice, Someone remembers me:)

OF COURSE I'll GO WITH U GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dying to play with anyone!

Maybe they could implement a 'break fall' system.
    Cause When I practiced kick boxing, one fundamental thing I was DRILLED into my skull was how to break my fall to minimized the pain and recover ASAP!

Plus, I get free accomodation at Nippon!!! wHooo hoo!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'PSO '