1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throw escapes and option select.

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by HalfLotus, May 8, 2002.

1. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

I want to get decent at throw escapes. There is no better feeling than escaping a throw (maybe because it's so rare for me.)

I've been through the PS2 trial many times, and even searched VFDC and read every friggin post about it. More often than not the posts are about TTE's, sabaki-TE, R-TE, or other obscure tactics.

Seems that the only time I escape throws is when I'm trying to do one myself.
    I want to know what some of the experienced players' tendencies are.

1. What situations do you use throw escape? Do you guys always TE or DTE after having a guaranteed throw move blocked? Do you always add the guard part in (G-TE/G-DTE, respectively)? Ever do these in a non-guaranteed situation?

2. What's the best time to evade G-TE? I ALWAYS do an evade attack or float starter on a MC dodge. Doing this, I can be thrown or whacked with circular moves. Is this another guessing game, or should I recognize when to evade attack/float and when to evade G-TE? Seems like the evade attack/float has greater reward than Evade G-TE. Am I missing something?

I can do the trials fine, but my mindset as to when to do perform a certain defensive move during a match isnt there yet.

One thing I HAVE learned is to wait for the RECOVERY of a move to enter the TE's. I was trying it too often during late execution phase.

2. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

When your punch-counterable moves get blocked, DTE-G is great so you don't eat an elbow stagger trying to interrupt a followup. When a (barely) throw-counterable move is blocked, you can E-DTE-G, or DTE and low punch to try for the MC. When a safe move is blocked, E-attack is good against aggressive opponents (if you manage to predict a low punch, most characters have something specifically to trash it, so the evade isn't necessary).

3. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

That sounds good to me. If it's a punch countereable move (-12 frames or more), the evade wouldn't come out anyway, right? Assuming the opponents attacks with a quick enough move, only TE-G is effective. I know I've seen throws evaded. Is that a distance thing?

Can you do E-DTE-attack? Or is that a throw or whiffed throw when you recover from the evade?
    How about E-DTE-G-attack? Can you MC this way?

It's a lot of joystick & button pressing. <attack, DTE-G, attack, E-DTE-G, throw, etc.> I'll start with single throw esape and see how that goes. practice, practice, practice...

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

DTE-G is done INSTEAD of DTE-attack, R-DTE, etc. Instead of, say, going for the MC floater after E-DTE, you just guard in case the opponent goes for something circular. You can't attack and guard at once /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

5. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

If you E-DTE-attack, you'll see a throw whiff (from the throw escape input) before you can attack right? You're guarding after the E-DTE to defend AND it keeps the whiffed throw animation from coming out.

Can you E-DTE-G(to stop whiffed throw), and then attack for MC? This could work against non-circular moves.

Dont take this as argumentative. Just curious about an insanely deep game.

6. HalfLotus

HalfLotus Active Member

Is the 10-frame throw escape window confirmed? In Trial mode, by experimenting with moves that have different recovery, it seems that I have a few more frames to enter throw escape with slower moves that are blocked. For instance, Sarah's d/b+K (-16 when blocked) vs. her d+K (-8 when blocked).

In trial, the earliest I can hit P+G is just as recovery begins, and the latest I can hit P+G is a few frames into the throw animation.

By this theory, the throw escape window depends on what move is blocked.