1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Throw escapes / Teching

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by BlackGeneral, Sep 19, 2011.

1. BlackGeneral

BlackGeneral The Emperor of Elbows Bronze Supporter Content Manager Akira

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    I know the general answer for when to tech a throw is "when you feel it coming" but I would like to know what people here think it's the best time to throw escape. Any specific situation in which you forgo fuzzy guard in order to tech?

2. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    Always fuzzy so you can punish a whiffed throw, there's no reason to just stand still and take a gamble with random TE inputs when you have the option to fuzzy.

3. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    That seems like the safest way to go... Hope that I get better at teching in the future.

4. Kamais_Ookin

Kamais_Ookin Well-Known Troll

PSN:
    Kyooboona
    XBL:
    Kamais Ookin
    A good way to practice throw escapes is just going into the dojo and make it so the AI throws you after he blocks one of your attacks. You can practice Evade Throw Escapes and the normal standing ones. When you get comfortable you can add more directions for the AI to throw out randomly.

5. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    I didn't even know about that. Will do that. Thanks.

6. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    Fuzzy guard works up until and including -5 frames of disadvantage.

Crouchdash fuzzy guard up to -6.

Starting from -7 it's a good idea to input throw escapes (since you can't fuzzy anymore) if you choose not to counterattack.

Starting from -12 throws are guaranteed so input throw escapes if you are within throw range or suffer the consequences.

So, to answer your question, from -7 onwards.

For more info feel free to consult http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/doku.php?id=vf5:system_part_2#defense

7. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    The time to input escapes is when you're at enough disadvantage to get thrown AND you have no clear idea what your opponent will do next.

If you really feel a throw coming (usually based on past experience with your opponent), attack and cause damage.

8. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have found your way into the world of frames yet. If not, now is as good a starting point as any for diving into it.

As Plague said, you mostly want to perform defensive maneuvers like fuzzy-guard, throw escapes and the like in situations where you are disadvantaged, that is, where your attack either whiffed the opponent or has been blocked by him or her. Depending on the character of your choice, different moves leave you with a higher or lower disadvantage.

My advice is to begin studying your character's command list. The Grd and Hit rows are the most interesting there for defensive purposes. Unfortunately, you can't do this by mere sight in Virtua Fighter since the animations are not always very telling in that regard. There are moves that seem, visually, safe on block, but are, in fact, very punishable if you don't defend properly after not connecting with them.

As a general rule of thumb go with Erdraug's excellent pointers below. Other articles worth noting here are: Guide: On the Secret Power of Frames, Escaping Throws (with Quick Reference), Guide: Throw Escaping the Quick Way, Guide: Evading Throw Escape (ETEG), and various entries in the VFwiki.

9. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Thanks everyone. This by far is the worst part of my game. Def. gonna absorb this. Luckily I studied frame data with SF so I don't have to start from 0.

10. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    I presume that they have frame data here for Akira? I only saw data for some of his moves.

11. AnimalStaccato

AnimalStaccato Well-Known Member

The commands tab at the top of the site has all teh moves and frame data of the VF cast.

12. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    Thanks. I'm going to study this closely.

13. BlackGeneral

PSN:
    BlackGeneral
    XBL:
    BeeGee VFDC
    The guides you put here are eFFin amazing. Now I have to look at this guides against Akira's moveset.