1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Tier List?

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by EscapingJail, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I think it is inherent in his design. High risk, high reward. I think, I've said this before, he is a lot like Paul (Tekken). He can play very safe, but his true damage comes through risks, risks other characters don't have to worry about as badly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I've seen a lot of effective Jeff tactics including a few juggles with his air throw. I don't know how to do them because I don't play him really, but the ratio seems pretty good out here for him as of late. </div></div>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif? It is good, esp. against Shun (sobers 2dp), but it is no TFT/Akira /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif ring outs.

Yeah, but the issue is: Jeffry winning Tourneys and number of good Jeffry players (I'm not one of them).

2. TojiDestro

TojiDestro Well-Known Member

Also, it saddens me how Jeffry's the biggest comedy character in VF. Japanese folks really do have some strange issues concerning non-white foreigners.

Outside of the dance clubs, they're not the biggest fans of black folks, I've seen.

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

And outsiders looking at American culture/media may conclude Americans aren't the biggest fans of hispanics and Asians...

4. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The big positive net percent advancement for Kage and Jacky players were mostly due to Otenami Haiken data, which in that tournament many of the other characters were not represented in the final tournament. Could be that people were still getting use to the game.

Now that all the qualifiers are done for Kakutou Shinseki IV, all characters are actually represented in the tournament. I found that to be pretty cool. Number in parenthesis is how many characters are in the final tournament and the other number is net percent change in character advancement.

Jacky (9) +4.3
    Lion (5) +3.6
    Eileen (5) +2.8
    Brad (3) +2.7
    Kage (8) +2.6
    Wolf (4) +2.1
    Shun (5) +1.6
    Lau (5) +1.2
    Jeffry (2) 0.0
    Pai (5) -0.6
    Aoi (2) -0.8
    Goh (1) -1.0
    Vanessa (2) -1.2
    Sarah (1) -1.7
    Lei (3) -2.0
    Blaze (1) -2.2
    Akira (3) -2.8

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Thanks again for this awesome analysis -- I find it amazing that every character is represented in the national tourney!! Just to get to the final stage is an accomplishment in of itself, and as your data shows every character in VF5 obviously has the chops to do it.

One interesting thing to note is that who the players are still affect the numbers. For example, I don't know who the Lion players who made KSIV are but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Chibita, Fuudo, Suguru, PE, etc. make it. A character that attracts player of that caliber will experience a higher percentage advancement; it's not necessarily because that character is top tier.

6. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Yeah, I agree that the player rather than character selected will always decide what character will advanced further. But who really can judge if the well known Lion players are overall greater than other players? But then again, tiers are difficult to determine without solid data and pretty much subjective in VF, especially outside of Japan.

7. Inforcer

Inforcer Well-Known Member

Sarah dose have great long range moves, 4,4+k is a nice long range move for pressing opponents and I find flamingo to be quite good in VF5, She almost always has some type of advantage now when entering flamingo not to mentions things like 4+k on crouching or MC granting a p,k that gives good advantage on hit. She is not the best character but definitely not handicapped in any way that would make her not good. She as Great mids and good lows too.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

New Tougeki Tier List

Hey VF fans, see the following for the rumored new Tougeki tier list (source: VF BBS via Srider). Of course this can't be confirmed until the official magazine comes out, but so far it looks legit:

S: Eileen, Lei Fei, Kage, Pai, Shun
    A: Brad, Goh, Jacky, Lau, Vanessa, Wolf
    B: Akira, El Blaze, Jeffry, Lion
    C: Aoi, Sarah

As you can see, the tier list has been compressed a lot since the first one was published, going only four levels; this shows some learning has occurred. Overall I agree with the tier ordering although I think at our level there's not much difference between S and A, A and B, although perhaps there's some difference in terms of how easy it is to win if you don't know the opponent between S and B. I think C characters are very difficult to play with, hence their lower tier position.

Note however that VF5 Version B is the only VF that I know of in which every VF character was represented in the national Kakutou Shinseiki tournament. Considering each participant must go through arcade and regional tournaments, it is a big achievement to make it to finals. The fact that every character was represented means that every character has the chops to make it to the big stage. VF4 FT, as balanced as it was, did not have every character represented in the nationals.

Nevertheless, let the Aoi and Sarah whining begin!

9. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Re: New Tougeki Tier List

The magazine have been out since April 3rd, it's not rumored, these are the tier list from the new Tougeki Damashi.

10. Judah

Judah Well-Known Member

How's it possible for Sarah to be that low? I can't believe that. I know she's situational, but she stomps.

Oh, and does the actual order in the tiers have any meaning?

Thanks for the update, Ice-9!

11. GameOver

GameOver Well-Known Member

What catches my eye is El Blaze getting brought up. The "little guy" has got something going for him after all!

12. Cla

Cla Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone can be in the same tier as Pai and Shun. Honestly, it should be like...

S: Shun
    A: Pai
    B: Continue through the rest of the list as it already is.

I especially don't see how Sarah can be lower than Jeffry. Hell, I would put Aoi above Jeffry.

What'cha talking about? It'll be totally awesome when I win Evo World with a bottom-tier char. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

13. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

Goh climbing the ranks.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif And yay for Eileen.

14. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I think it has alot to do with insane fall in original Sarah tactics and strategy from VF4 series to VF5, at least imo.

Yes, Sarah players complain about the launchers cause THEY DID get nerfed alot. Serpent Cannon was like Sarah's equivilant SDE in a sense and most of the time delay serpent cannon rarely catches people for me, which means you either have both kicks blocked and get owned or you eat the brain dead easy PK or PPP or whatever.

DC feels like it has even less range than it did in FT, at least for me. I admit EVO multi DC relaunches were a bit over the top but they didn't need to go so far imo. I miss combo-tastic Sarah. Her elbow kind of sucks now too.

The rediculess throw nerfs are what really get me. Wall throw and 360 throw being 55 makes me want to cry. It's not like Sarah has an insanely strong striking game like Jacky or Pai.

I don't think she necessarly "sucks everyones dick" but it's gonna be tough. Her only really special advantage is the now fleshed out Flamingo. Otherwise when compared to most of the cast in terms of damage potential, striking game, and throwing game, she usually loses out in 2 out of 3 or all 3.

15. Wacha

Wacha Member

What's about Eileen? Why she's so high in tiers? I've played her a little, but I have never consider her as a top. What have I missed?

16. Aka

Aka Member

What were the tier list in VF 4 Evolution? Thanx. Ye ye i am still playing ^^!

17. Tiamat

Tiamat Well-Known Member

I knew Goh was too low in the old list. =]

goh ftw

18. Aka

Aka Member

ye i am playing Goh on VF 4 Evolution, and my brothers plays Kage and Brad :). But anyway Goh is my favourit character, no matter how hard it is to win.

19. Tiamat

Tiamat Well-Known Member

If you get to play VF5 you'll find winnning with Goh to be a lot easier. =]

20. Aka

Aka Member

Actually it's pretty ok vs Brad but vs Kage it's a lot more harder!