1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Timing with Kage, TFT, rising knee ><

Discussion in 'Kage' started by OniKage, Jul 7, 2002.

1. OniKage

OniKage Member

Ok my problem right now is getting the timeing for the rising knee to hit. For me it is very hard. Trying to get the 'ten foot toss" and then immediatlly getting that knee to hit my opponent.

I am always too late with the kick and I miss and the opponent (my brother) just recovers from the fall and >< wastes me.

Right now my main string of attack is the
    [7][P]+[G], [2][P], [2][P]+[K], [K]

Yes i know compared with other combos it does very little, around 62 but varies with weights, only 50 with the heavy weights.

If maybe someone culd suggest a better combo possible without the rising knee for i still need practice with it, i would be very gracious ^_^.

Also do many of you use back attacks? I find that some back attacks could be useful, but i usually never do it succesfully, It leaves me very vulnerable.

Well thanks in advance

oh btw i dont know most of the "terms" you use for kage. So if u dont mind explaining if you use them ^^.

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

well i really dont know how i time his rising knee correctly i just hit them, i'm really not thinking of the timing i just follow my guts/instincts, but here's something that might help

kage's TFT and his knee

read through the thread and i'm sure you'll find something useful, as for follow ups after the knee go here

kage TFT combos

and here's one i posted myself

some kage TFT combos that might interest you

hope this helps yah /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I dont' use Kage much (just when I'm playing against someone lame, as I really suck w/ him) but I had my friend teach me that.

Here's the input for the knee after the TFT:
    [4][P]+[G][1][1][4][K] then do whatever you want.

The trick is you've got to do a crouch dash which turns you around, then [6][K]. Technically, the [1][1] will turn you around, but you won't see it. There's no ducking involved -- that should help you.

Now go have a good toss! /versus/images/icons/blush.gif

4. Redrum

Redrum Member

For a non knee combo try this

TFT [4]+[P][K],[P], [6]+[K]+[G],DP does 72 damage i've seen it do 78 though

5. OniKage

OniKage Member

Ok i am going to try your technique Gajin ^^.

Also I have a question about what Quick rising is? I already know what Techrolling is from reading a post somwhere here. But what is quickrising?
    I had that question because i read your TFT combo thing Death ^^.

::

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    What GaijinPunch posted about turning-around isn't correct. After Kage's TFT ([4][P]+[G]), he turns around automatically. Just watch the animation carefully. This throw will automatically reverse the ring position.

There's essentially two things you must practice for a successful Knee after the TFT:

1. Command
    As you know, the Rising Knee is performed from a crouch position ([2_][6][K]) but after the TFT, you don't have enough time to crouch by just holding the down direction. So, you must crouch dash ([3][3]) to achieve an instant crouch where you can simply hit [6][K] to execute the Knee. If you're having problems performing a Knee this way, then keep practicing (both sides!), until you can.

2. Timing
    When you're confident you can perform a near instant modified Knee ([3][3][6][K]) such that you don't see any crouch dash animation (a couple of frames is ok), then your final hurdle is the timing. That is, when to perform it after the TFT. The simple answer<font color="orange">[1]</font color> to this is 'as soon as possible'. Again, you have to look at the TFT animation in detail to know the exact moment Kage recovers from the throw. PS2 Free Training, with Motion Information on can help here as you can see exactly when he recovers by the graphical bar running down. Slow motion can help even more. Basically, you want to complete the command for the modified Knee ([6][K]) as soon as you've recovered from the throw. This means you must buffer the crouch dash ([3][3]) during the last frames of the TFT animation.

And that's it. When you've done it a million times, you'll develop a feeling for it and it'll come naturally to you in the heat of the battle.

Good luck.

<font color="orange">1.</font color> When it comes to timing, there is no 'simple answer'. The timing actually depends on the weight of the opponent and you'll find that with the lighter characters, you'll have to stretch your crouch dash a little more than usual to make contact with the knee since they're tossed slightly farther away.

7. GaijinPunch

Yeah, Myke's answer is much better.
    Didn't know he turned around though -- that shows you how much I use Kage. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. OniKage

OniKage Member

Heh dont worry bout it gajin, I kinda took what u said and somehow made it to what Myke said ^^. I actually didnt know that there were those low rushes lol. anywyas i can successfully do the knee sometimes. I still need to find that recovery point from the TFT that Myke stated. Some slow motion and that motion bar should help do this.

Thx all.

9. GaijinPunch

I think the follow up that does the most damage is:
    [3][3][6][K][6][P][7][K]+[G] -- I have problems getting the [6][P] in on time though. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

10. Hamme

Hamme Well-Known Member

GP is right, but I see something else can be done. In clips I see people do [P][K][G] instead of [6][P] to connect the [7][K]+[G]., but more often I see [1][P][K][G] after the knee, for extra damage. Hope that helps.

PS: Just to make sure you OniKage or anyone else understand ,
    [P][K][G] is a punch kick combo, but the kick is cancel by the [G] . The timing is like this, 1,2..3, or [P][K] skip a beat then [G] . The first two button press is fast,, and the third is only a beat behind.

11. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Kage's TFT combos are character specific sometimes. The one you posted Gaijinpunch only works on vanessa and lion AFAIK.

For TFT combos, I find this to be a good resource:
    http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&chara=kage&file=vf4_kage_tft_combos_ramzan.txt

Scroll down to the most damaging TFT floats per character and try to learn those if possible.

Don't want to discourage creativity tho, it's fun to mess around with kage's TFT combos. Learn some fancy ones and show off /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Good luck.

12. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Some of the highest damage combos have changed.

Sarah:

[4_]+[P]+[G] - [3_][3_][6_]+[K] - [4_]+[P] - [6_]+[K]+[G] - [6_][2_][3_]+[P]
    83pts I think

Akira:
    [4_]+[P]+[G] - [3_][3_][6_]+[K] - [1_]+[P][K][G] - [6_]+[K]+[G] - [6_][2_][3_]+p

or

[4_]+[P]+[G] - [3_][3_][6_]+[K] - [4_]+[P][K] - [6_][2_][3_]+[P] (good timing needed)

If Kage does [4_]+[P]+[G] - [2_]+[P]+[K] - [1_]+[P][K][G] - [7_]+[K]+[G] on Akira than Akira can Quick Rise ([P]+[K]+[G]) and do a Guaranteed Double Palm with just a [4_][6_][P] input