1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

tips for brad beginner

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Jemun, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    ahoj peoples, i just began with brad and i want to gather some tips, strategies and other stuff that could help me

2. Blahzie

Blahzie Well-Known Member

Start with the wiki (on your left, under site menu, mouse over "virtua fighter 5" then "brad". Then check out the posts in this subforum... after that, it's all experience, at least IMO.

3. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    oh yeah, should have thought of that. thanks, i will get some practise and refresh this topic when i have qustions to specific situations

4. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

Well, Brad was my first pick and I still play him sometimes, he is a very fine char.
    Just to let u know that i'm still a beginner (compared to blahzie for example who crushed me with ease once in ladder Brad VS Brad :D).
    The first Advice I would give u is to be confortable with the slipping moves (very important), and to know which moves lead to slipping so u can go in the stance anytime u like.
    For the essential moves of brad arsenal I'd say (feel free to correct me) I'd say:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif => To slipping. your main mid poke
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif => To slipping. leads to combo on CH
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif To slipping. good mid/long range tool

u should check the top ten brad's moves.

5. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    i have one problem with brad though: i get blocked often and many of his atacks give guarented throw after, what should i do?

6. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Don't throw those attacks out so much. If you think your opponent will guard a lot, trying throwing them more.

Also, you should try to practice throw escape techniques after your guaranteed throw attack is guarded.

7. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    yeah, but rad hasn't much good throws and kills with combos, so changing my attack scheme will help? dunno. anyway, TEs are wet work. but I really need to practise them (and luck is always needed too)

8. toastcrumb

toastcrumb Well-Known Member

I found /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is great for chasing backdashing opponents, even if the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif whiffs.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif works a treat too, as does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Go for the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif on CH!

Cheap motherfuckers (myself included) use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (CH) x2 followed by pounce on people who don't know how to tech roll.

9. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    takechiyomaru is my favourite brad player and i'm watching his vids to see some tactics, but thats hard. i need to get online !!!!! or i will not get better

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    There's no simple solution to "but my opponent guards all my big attacks" problem. If they do, then you have tools to defeat a standing guard. A throw is one of them. Low attacks are another. Sometimes you can't be greedy in going for the biggest damage at every chance. Often you need to create the opportunities with creative setups.

Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif throws are really good. The former has lots of damage potential if they don't fall recover, otherwise has good further setup potential. The latter is really good damage in it's own right, and if they fail to fall recover then you get a guaranteed light down attack.

Anyway, I suggest you read the many threads in this Brad forum. I'm sure they'll help you on your way to learning Brad.

11. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    thank you myke. i really will practise brad because he has potential and i read somewhere that he is not often used

12. toastcrumb

toastcrumb Well-Known Member

Myke what setups can you recommend from /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif?

13. HokutoNoCat

If u can play online we could do some matches brad vs brad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

14. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    oh man, that would be too cool, but unfortunetely i have onl ps3. i hope this wasn't a wrong desicion (just waiting for metal gear solid 4)

15. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Good advice except for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif => to Slipping. This move is good move to throw out there when you're at advantage but DO NOT get used to going into Slipping/Ducking from Knee Upper bc it is a bad habit that I'm still trying to get out of doing and new Brad players should avoid.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is -8 on block and it's an easy move for opponents to recognize and once blocked a good opponent will hit you out of whatever Slipping/Ducking option you choose.
    It's safer to use try to use this move as a safer alternate to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and try to score a counter hit. Brad can get good damage off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif without the need to go into Ducking.
    Another reason to not go into Ducking/Slipping most of the time after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is that it's -2 ON NORMAL HIT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif that means that even when you hit if you decide to Duck/Slip you're likely to get hit out of it.
    Practice tapping /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif in order to not go into Ducking/Slipping accidentally. If blocked you're in a Nitaku situation but if you go into Slipping/Ducking you WILL get hit. If you connect on regular hit remember that you're still at disadvantage but it's only -2.
    Practice /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (CH) combos for every weight class.
    Lastly, dont tap /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif 100% of the time after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, mix it up, specially when you think that your opponent is going to go for a throw after they block it but most of the time avoid Slipping/Ducking after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif gets blocked.

16. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    thank you tonyfamilia for your help to improve my own brad style /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif like your vids on youtube, hope i get online some day and meet you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

17. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I just picked up a 360 a week ago, specifically because I found out that VF5 supported online play for it. I haven't regretted my decision at all.

I'm stoked on Brad - I like Muay Thai as a martial art, and his character is crazy arrogant (Hey, who doesn't love attending the BRAD SHOW?)

I'm having some troubles though. I've gone in the dojo and practiced movement and learning what moves I can do from his slips, ducks, and sway. However, whenever I'm playing an opponent online, I constantly get knocked out of most of these moves with a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, which is incredibly frustrating.

I assume that this is occurring because I'm not conditioning/training my opponent to block after the sway/slipping set ups, but is this correct? One thing that I've noticed about Brad is that he is quite weak in close range, and I'm often getting beaten down by a barrage of low punches and then a meaty follow-up.

Someone help me! How do I train my opponents effectively, and then use this to my advantage?

Thanks much!

--Deathsushi

18. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    hmm, i don't think that brad is weak in close range because the fact that he works most with kicks and punches makes him stronger than for example goh (cuz he has mighty throws). don't use sway, slips and duck attacks too often and try to time it when the opponent makes a high combo that you duck in it and then attack. also change your attack schemes and force your opponent into blocking low/high, whatev. hope that helps in any way

19. HokutoNoCat

@Deathsushi: that's what I thought when I started Brad, but when u'll have stronger attack phases opponents will be more defensive and then u can get all those slipping without being interrupted.
    But against mashers or abare players, yeah it's sometimes hard.

20. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    yep, that's what I meant