1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

tips for brad beginner

Discussion in 'Brad' started by Jemun, Mar 3, 2008.

1. deathsushi

deathsushi Well-Known Member

Right, thanks guys.

I guess part of what I've learned over the past few days is that in order to use slipping and ducking effectively, you first have to learn the fastest attacks out of each of these.

From ducking, I use Brad's knee and spin kick often, and from swaying, I find /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif very effective.

However, what I'm still having trouble with is how to train the opponent into blocking instead of always throwing out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif . Does anyone have any suggestions? What I would typically do with another character is punish the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif with a sabaki or move that will crush this. I read that Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can crumple low punches, but only find this when I have a reasonable advantage.

Any other suggestions? I want to get opponent scared of throwing out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, but right now they just spam that jab all day long.

--Deathsushi

2. HokutoNoCat

HokutoNoCat Well-Known Member

Well it's not a single tip that can allow u to do that ... It's more your general gameplay that will.
    I had the same problem and it was gone as soon as I bult up better attack phases. Yesterday for example, I could enter slip several times again an abare Lau (not a masher thought, so he tryied to defend sometimes) and asap as he switched in defensive mode (u will sense it) I could pull all my slipping/ducking stances stuff.

3. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Try to incorporate Brad's (Ducking) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif into your game. Even if you're not successful your opponent will be a little bit more wary of running /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    It takes practice, observation and a little bit of memory to use this move. First practice, go into dojo and have the cpu block and respond with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    The only problem with this feature is that it will only respond after it blocks a move. Most of Brad's opponents will use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif after being hit, specially after Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    Secondly, observe how and when your opponent uses /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and thirdly, you have to remember during the fight.
    And of course, apply. You might have to lose and/or eat a lot of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif's before you get the hang of it.
    I'm still learning to use it myself but that's my two cents.

4. deathsushi

I've given this a little bit of work. Here's the follow up to that then - what do you do if you whiff the Hell Trap? Just try and hold through the nintaku and then resume offense?

5. tonyfamilia

There is no set offense/defense to run when you whiff anything. If you start to play a robotic (or auto-pilot) type of game with Brad, you wont get as far as if you're creative and apply a bit of "calculated randomness" (TM)
    So you whiff Hell Trap, here's a few of the options that you can try (but please, don't limit yourself to these, I do these and even I'm trying to shake the monotony of follow-ups to scenarios):
    Offensive choice example: /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif you're already ducking, so try this combo-starter (only on counter hit). It will leave you at -8 on block so be wary that you will not be able to crouch or even crouch dash (which is one frame faster than regular crouch) under a throw attempt by your opponent. None of your opponent's attacks will be guaranteed to hit if you block (the fastest attack in the game is Vanessa's uppercut which is 9 frames) but you can attack out of getting thrown, this is what is called a Nitaku situation where if you dont attack you will get thrown but if you do you might eat a counter hit. At -5 you can crouch under a throw, at -6 you can not regular crouch under a throw but you can crouch dash. And at -7 and up until -11 you can attack out of getting thrown. At -12 and above you can not duck or attack out of getting thrown.

Defensive choice example: Block high/low or evade.

You could also do DM P+K but it's -14 on block, try at your own risk. These are just a few examples. Try to keep your mind open to new and different ideas when you find yourself in the same situations. If the same move/reaction keeps working for you, remember that against a good player, it's not going to work for long. A good opponent WILL remember what you keep doing after a certain scenario and will eventually react properly.

It's not easy to do (I just started working on it myself) but try to keep it fresh, keep the opponent guessing and you will be able to kill chumps like me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

6. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    two gameplay questions

Hello everyone, i have two questions (as it says on the tagline of this thread)

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gifWhat are good follow-ups when the opponent hits the wall after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gifWhat are some good strategies when it comes to sudden death?

7. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    tonyfamilia, which characters have you tried, beside Brad?

8. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Re: two gameplay questions

After the throw just do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif .
    I think sudden death happens too rarely, but I'd probably crouch back dash and try to dodge something/make opponent whiff. Whatever /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

9. tonyfamilia

Re: Beginner Brad

Nothing is guaranteed for Brad after /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (wall hit) unless the opponent is at just the right distance away from the wall.
    You can test and practice the distance in Dojo mode.

10. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    Re: Beginner Brad

alright

11. deathsushi

Tony, this is a really great post!

Your technical breakdown is very clear and concise, and really helpful - thanks so much.

I totally appreciate that the game doesn't break down into a robotic set of steps, but I do find it helpful to hear about what other people do and try and learn from that as well as my own experience.

I'm going to try this stuff out tonight!

Cheers!

|
    +--Deathsushi