1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

To rent a vf4 machine

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Shadowdean, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Where would be the first place to look. Me and a bunch of my buddies are seriously looking into renting a machine for a week or 2.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey, I'm lookin, too.
    Its hard to get some business from distributers, but i think i'm going to go the route and ask a friendly tech or manager at big or local arcade. They'd be likely to refer you to someone they know. I think the tech is the person to ask at a big aracade joint.

madRox

3. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    good luck. places that "rent" arcade machines are usually called "amusement co." or something like that and to me, are some of the lowest scum around, in my experience.

Those companies buy machines, and move them around from place to place, trying to make money. The deal is that the pool hall or whoever has the game gets a split of the money. The last time I dealt with these people, it was during VF2, and we played a a pool hall in NYC called Le "Q". Now this was a great place to play, as they were 24 hour, they had stools, you could eat and smoke, it was perfect, even though the place was a little shady, we used to get good comp, and the stools just MADE the whole thing. Anyway, whenever the dirt bag who worked for the amusement co. would come to take the money, we'd ask him to fix the sticks.

The was a really scummy, fat, bitter motherfucker, and he'd yell at us and tell us to get away from the machine while he opened it. Then he'd open the panel, and proceed to spray windex on the switches. Then he'd rotate the sticks over and over, just making thingd worse. What an idiot. This guy seems to reflect the whole attitude of amusement co.s. They just own "boxes" that people put money into. Those boxes just happen to be game machines. They want to put the machines, especially new ones, where they're going to make the cost of the machine back, quickly. If you were to "rent" the machine from company, you'd have to convince the company you and your friends would be pumping several thousand dollars in quarters into the machine in a few weeks. When the arcade at 52nd street got VF3, they charged $1 per play, and in about 2 weeks, one of the guys that worked there told me that thanks to my friends and I and other regulars, they already payed it off (somewhere between 15 and 20,000 dollars for the big screen cabinet).

Those companies really don't give a shit about gamers at all. Even your average arcade employee in the US doesn't know shit these days, as all arcades are basically chains, and those decisions (what games are purchased etc) are made by regional managers elsewhere. Maybe it's different in Canada or other places.

To be honest, I think your best bet is to either make sure your favorite, comfortable arcade gets VF4 and just hang out as much as you can, or scrape the money up with your friends to BUY the board from japan, then sell it in a few months, before the PS2 version hits.

Spotlite

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

aside from tiny independant resellers (which usually never have new games), almost all arcade games are bought or leased through those distribution companies.

and...ugh...if you bought the board, why the _hell_ would you ever sell it for an inferior version? yeesh man.

sell the board and buy a ps2..mmpHhaHAHWHhHAhAHAHahAH.

5. Mr. Bungle

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.segaarcade.com/>http://www.segaarcade.com/</A> gives links to a distributor near you.

6. Mr. Bungle

>When the arcade at 52nd street got VF3, they charged $1 per play, and in about 2 weeks, one of the
    >guys that worked there told me that thanks to my friends and I and other regulars, they already payed it off

did you tell him how much of an asshole he was for ripping you off?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Spotlight: a vf4 machine in NYC????

any info? are they really going to be available in NYC? What is cost to buy one?

8. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

Re: Spotlight: a vf4 machine in NYC????

NYC will have vf4, the manager at chinatown told me so. 100% sure he said.

<font color=red>nAndato</font color=red>

9. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I was only suggesting they sell it before PS2 version to get a better price, as after the PS2 version comes out, it would stand to reason that the price of the arcade boards would decrease, but maybe I'm wrong. Besides, after playing VF4 and talking to my friends at SOA, I'm not so sure the arcade version WILL be superior to PS2.

And I don't really blame the arcade in NYC for charging $1 per play. They were probably scared they wouldn't be able to pay for the thing. IMO SOA ripped them off. it only stayed at $1 for about 2 weeks, anyway. AKAIK, all newish games cost $1 (100 yen) to play in Japan.

Spotlite

10. Mr. Bungle

> I'm not so sure the arcade version WILL be superior to PS2.

based on what? some extra frills and options?

and regarding price, nah. you were being ripped you off - badly. soa/distributors don't determine the price, the individual arcade operators do. i've never paid more than 25-50 cents for 3/5 rounds, normal damage in MA. one was 50" megalo, even, for 25 cents, in a small mom and pop arcade.

i've said this before, but if you're being charged over 50c for vf4, you're being ripped the fuck off by the arcade. try to complain, if you can. if enough people play it and if your arcade operator has the slightest bit of good business sense (two things which you likely won't find) it might get lowered.

and the price in japan is totally meaningless.

11. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    No, based on the fact that the graphics in arcade vf4 beta test are totally within reach for the PS2; and based on the fact that I've heard third hand straight from Yu Suzuki that the early build of VF4 running on the PS2 already looks better than the arcade. It has nothing to do with extras.

And when I said SOA ripped off the arcade, I meant for the price of the machine, not that SOA set the price of plays. I'd venture to guess that compared to NYC and Tokyo, everything is probably cheaper in Ma. I don't feel I got "ripped off", nobody forced me to play.

Spotlite

12. Mr. Bungle

>No, based on the fact that the graphics in arcade vf4 beta test are totally within reach for the PS2

i thought you said you didn't know, or were not sure, a few posts back. why the sudden change? more vague "third hand straight from" (snicker) reports?

> compared to NYC and Tokyo, everything is probably cheaper in Ma.

uh, are you talking about the same massachusetts, in the metro boston area ~200 miles away from NYC? um. no. that's just wrong.

> I don't feel I got "ripped off", nobody forced me to play.

no, but you when you did play your were essentially forced to pay a higher price than you needed to, by the arcade operator.

13. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I posted in my first report on vf4:

"and IMO if it weren't for lighting (-and this lighting comment I made is only in regard to the DC-) this game could be done on the DC, let alone PS2. But that's not to knock down it's graphics, they rock. It just seems AM2 used polys/texture right where they needed to."

And I don't think I've changed my point of view since then. That's my opinion based on playing the game and owning a DC and a PS2. Regarding the PS2 conversion, the information I got came to me from one of my oldest friends, Noah Musler, who is an Assistant Product Manager at SOA. His job is to handle the domestic release of Sega games, along with his suprevisor, the Product Manager. While Noah is not the APM on VF4, the guy in the cubilcle across form him is. That guy's name is Cord Smith, and his supervisor, Rob Alvarez (the product manager) is is regular communication with Yu about the PS2 version of VF4.

A month or two ago, Noah called me to tell me Rob had just talked to Yu, and had been told that the very early version he had running on the PS2 already looked better than the arcade. Now, having met Rob and Cord several times (Ice also met Cord at E3), they aren't exactly what I'd call VF fans. So I have no reason to believe any info coming from them would be BS, they're pretty brutal when it comes to the truth about the products they're trying to sell.

So, according to Noah, Yu told Rob, Rob told Noah, and Noah told me: third hand. Is that specific enough for you?

Of course, since I haven't played the final arcade version, or ANY PS2 version, I can't really say for SURE, can I? But I'm pretty confident that it will look better.

But you don't even really seem interested in talking about that, so much as you do trying to make me look like an idiot. But when you go on these drawn out escapades nitpicking people to death about little bullshit, I think most people around here would agree that you just end up making yourself look like a jerk off with nothing better to do.

Since this thread now has NOTHING to do with getting your hands on an arcade VF4 unit, thanks in no small part to me, I'm gonna bow out here. Shadowdean, sorry for cluttering up your thread with BS.

Spotlite

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I totally agree, finally from a hardcore gamer! :) I also think 10 hit OTB combo's will be prettyt possible and 4/5 hits all the time as a regular basis.)

It would not surprise me to find akira, hitting somsone 3 or 4 times OTB after a combo.

CrewNYC

15. Mr. Bungle

thanks for answering my questions. in my defense, i really doubt questioning just what "third hand straight from" exactly meant, and pointing out that the la-la land idea that MA is an all around cheaper place to live is nonsense, is deserving of being called essentially a nitpicking jerkoff. i asked you (direct) questions politely, and if you believe that's worthy of a personal slag, then, spot, from the bottom of my heart - fuck you.

16. Shadowdean

THanks a bunch..I think, unfortunatly cause arcades are all but dead in MD, I may have to travel out of state to even play....the board idea is good..lol..buy a psx2..<shudder>

17. Shadowdean

Hey, never a problem..always better to have something to read!!

18. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah, totally in the reach..........

The NAOMI 2 (New Arcade Operation Machine Idea) also Japanese for beauty above all else.

CPU : SH-4 128-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
    Graphic Engine : 2 x PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC-CLX2) GPU's - (under the fans)
    Geometry Processor : Custom Videologic T+L chip "Elan" (100mhz) - (Under Heatsink)
    Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
    Main Memory : 32 MByte 100Mhz SDRAM
    Graphic Memory : 32 MByte
    Model Data Memory : 32MByte
    Sound Memory : 8 MByte
    Media : ROM Board / GD-Rom
    Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
    Polygons : 10 Million polys/sec with 6 light sources
    Rendering Speed : 2000 Mpixels/sec (unrealistic max, assumes overdraw of 10x which nothing uses)
    Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Multiple Fog Modes, 8-bit Alpha Blending (256 levels of transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Super Sampling for Full Scene Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.

Fully backwards compatible with all Naomi and GD-Rom games

Notice that Naomi2 has four time the amount of main memory and graphics memory that Dreamcast has, and twice that of the naomi so ports from Naomi to Dreamcast may involve more conversion time and a great loss of texture detail. Also note that the Naomi2 board has four times the sound memory of the Dreamcast, and the reason for this is because the Naomi board is'nt meant to spool redbook audio from the GD-ROM drive.

CPU : 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
    · System Clock: 300 MHz
    · System Memory: 32 MB Direct Rambus
    · Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2 GB per second
    · Co-Processor: FPU (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1, Floating Point Divider x 1)
    · Vector Units: VU0 and VU1 (Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9, Floating Point Divider x 1)
    · Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
    · 3D CG Geometric Transformation: 66 million Polygons Per Second
    · Compressed Image Decoder: MPEG2
    Graphics : "Graphics Synthesizer"
    · Clock Frequency: 150MHz
    · DRAM Bus bandwidth: 48 GB Per Second
    · DRAM Bus width: 2560 bits
    · Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24[8]32)
    · Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons Per Second
    Sound : "SPU2+CPU"
    · Number of voices: ADPCM: 48 channel on SPU2 plus definable by software
    · Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (selectable)
    I/O Processor
    · CPU Core: Current PlayStation CPU
    · Clock Frequency: 33.8 MHz or 37.5 MHz (selectable)
    · Sub Bus: 32 Bit

First the PS2 should beat the DC an all Fronts(mainly textures)...........
    Can't believe Sega is so stupid to devellop a Board who is twice the price of a PS2(Arcade 246) Board, and this Board (N2) should be weaker, common.........

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Uffffff, i forgot "if you understand the emotion engine" and "begin to realize what the third place is" and of course a little "streaming".......you can draw 1000 mio polygons on the PS2 and 20 times the amount of textures as the DC .......on the screen.......says Ken Kurtaragi

never ever underestimate the Power of multimedia PS2!!!!!!!