1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

To those with PS2 VF4

Discussion in 'Console' started by Myke, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Can you test something out?

I want to know if a minor counter damage bonus exists. If so, how much is it? Try it with different moves to see if the bonus depends on your attack, or the attack you're countering.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you need not apply.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I had to pick two moves with long recovery times in order to test this out...

Kage's f+P = 20pts
    Kage's d+K+G = 30pts
    Kage's P+G = 40pts

Akira does Bodycheck. Kage blocks.
    mC elbow = 27 pts
    mC heelkick = 35 pts
    mC P+G = 40 pts

Jacky does PPEK. Kage blocks.
    mC elbow = 27 pts
    mC heelkick = 35 pts
    mC P+G = 40 pts

Conclusion: mC bonus is based off the attack used by the defender. No mC bonus for throw counters.

(If there is any error in testing methodology, your views are most welcome.)

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Float modifier tests:

Regular P = 10pts
    Kage TFT ~ P(G) ~ P(G) ~ P(G) ~ P(G)
    8 + 8 + 8 + 6

Regular d+P+K = 16pts
    Kage TFT ~ d+P+K ~ d+P+K ~ d+P+K ~ d+P+K
    12 + 12 + 12 + 12 if the last d+P+K hits close to the ground, otherwise 12 + 12 + 12 + 9

Conclusion: float combos do around 75-80% worth of damage. Fourth hit and up may do less than 75%-80%, but may depend on other factors such as OTB or proximity.

This might explain why TFT ~ Knee ~ d+P+K ~ swipe senbon ~ kickflip seems to do significantly more damage than TFT ~ Knee ~ P ~ d+P+K ~ kickflip, even though the theoretical difference without modifiers is 6 pts. In the former, the kickflip hits at just the right level, to maximize float damage(?). I was unable to get actual damage values for all the TFT combos, because my Shadowblade stick SUCKS and crouch dash knee is near impossible with shitty diagonals. I'll test out most of the Daioh TFT combos when I get my PS2 VF4 stick this weekend.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Thanks FeixaQ!

That definitely confirms the mC damage bonus, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what the bonus really is.

The mCing elbow had a 35% bonus applied.
    The mCing heelkick had a 17% bonus applied.

Obviously, other factors are at play here.

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

How did you estimate points? Or does the game tell you somewhere?

Also, can you double check this one? I reverse the wrong way with akira and aoi sweeps me, the sweep apparently hits as a MC and knocks me down while I grasp at the air. Can you measure damage of this MC sweep?

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Aoi d+K+G = 20 pts
    Aoi d+K+G to interrupt Akira's db+P+K = 25 pts

But, I couldn't get Aoi to knockdown Akira when Akira's trying to reverse...?

You use Free Training mode, and one of the options allows you to record a series of movements for the CPU, then you block and counter appropriately. Damage is listed.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

odd indeed - I need to test it more myself. It struck me as 'off' somehow that she got the knockdown. While we're testing damage, what's your record on QCB+P, dbc?

I can't get much more than 35% out of half a dozen tries. I dunno if it's genuinely changed or if I just blow.

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

QCB+P now does 23 pts instead of 30. DBC does 65 instead of 80.

I think Shang tested out QCB+P ~ dodge ~ DBC and he said he couldn't get more than 75pts of damage or thereabouts?

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

so DBC no longer maxes out at 40% damage? suxor, I kinda liked it that way. The QCB+P -only- needed fixing.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I can't remember how I came across this nugget of info, but someone told me that for certain attacks like Kage's DP, the higher you hit the opponent off the ground in a float, the more damage. I don't know if this is accurate, and I haven't tested it or even looked out for it, but it seems somewhat true.

11. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Yes, about 75 is the max I could manage with QCB + P, DBC

In my testing, the damage of Kage's DP did not change based on the height of the opponent off the ground when hit.
    I tested with TFT and df + P.

Off the TFT, a single DP hitting just as they're landing gives u a respectable 70 damage. No other moves, just dash in and DP as they hit the ground. Pretty good damage considering how easy it is.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, try it with u/f+K+G -> d+P.

You can QR/TR from the TFT for no damage right?

13. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

quote:
    [[Off the TFT, a single DP hitting just as they're landing gives u a respectable 70 damage. No other moves, just dash in and DP as they hit the ground. Pretty good damage considering how easy it is. ]]

That must be able to be avoided by TR or QR. Seems like that 70 points comes from TFT'4 natural 40 plus DP's 30. In real battle don't ever rely on this because if your opponent TR/QR the damage will become zero.

So far the MAX TFT combos I tried seem all around 70 (sorry I don't have PS2 VF4 yet, that 70 is from eye measurement in arcade). Looking for some combo that reaches 80:) (hope it exists)

14. Ellinas

"That must be able to be avoided by TR or QR. Seems like that 70 points comes from TFT'4 natural 40 plus DP's 30. In real battle don't ever rely on this because if your opponent TR/QR the damage will become zero. "

Woops, forgot, sorry me newbie /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif
    I turned on tech rolls
    u/f+K+G -> d+P always gives 24 damage from the DP, i tried it like 20 times, always 24.

15. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

also, test MC damage - is it flat rate +50% of the base damage of the attacking characters move?

16. Ellinas

I picked 10 random Kage moves and this is what I got:

Normal MC Dam Difference
    22 33 1.5
    16 24 1.5
    30 45 1.5
    30 45 1.5
    17 25 1.470588235
    30 45 1.5
    18 27 1.5
    20 30 1.5
    30 45 1.5
    16 24 1.5

Looks pretty flat rate to me

17. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Kage's f+P = 20pts
    Kage's d+K+G = 30pts
    Kage's P+G = 40pts

Akira does Bodycheck. Kage blocks.
    mC elbow = 27 pts
    mC heelkick = 35 pts
    mC P+G = 40 pts

Jacky does PPEK. Kage blocks.
    mC elbow = 27 pts
    mC heelkick = 35 pts
    mC P+G = 40 pts

Okay, I'm being stupid. As my friend Nengli pointed out to me, it's actually 25pts for mC elbow and 37 for mC heelkick, I mixed the 5 and 7 up. D'oh!

So... it's 25% bonus for mC, 50% bonus for MC, rounded down to nearest whole number, where bonus is applied to the move used to mC or MC.

Nengli also tested out float damage and OTB damage... generally float damage goes down steadily from 0.8 to 0.5 depending on number of hits; OTB damage is around 0.3-0.5 of a normal hit.

18. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

FeixaQ,
    Thanks for clearing up the MC/mC bonuses. Nice and easy fast rules like in VF2 =) I always thought you got mC bonuses with throws... guess not.

With a little bit of experimenting, we should be able to work out the float combo modifiers as well...

I'm glad we still have another month to wait for the American release... I'll be spending way too much time with this game once I get it.