1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 moves.

Discussion in 'Lau' started by C1REX, Dec 21, 2007.

1. DissMaster

DissMaster Well-Known Member

I don't reccommend doing this as the follow up all the time. Usually I like to use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif but it misses against shun and blaze.

The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/n.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is good b/c it works on everybody and also if the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is blocked, 2p beats almost everything.

I think I am going to try to work in the/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif follow up soon, so look out Shizmeister.

2. Shiznittles

Shiznittles Well-Known Member

Good point Diss[/size], didn't know that.

Can you explain to the Lau-gionaries what it is you do during evades to get out the crouching lift palm. Is it...

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif(buffer)/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif>/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

The idea being to buffer in the move /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif as part of the evade.

At least I think that is what you are doing. Joey does that a lot also. Very deadly. (maybe I got the stick motions wrong, I have to test it in the lab)

-Shiz

3. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" style="height: 48px;"><pre> Grd Hit CH
    VF4FT -7 +2 +6
    VF5c -6 +4 +7</pre></div></div>
    What am I not seeing? On "paper" it actually looks like it got better in 5?

It'd be nice if people qualified their judgement of moves with actual reasons from time to time /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I've had in mind to try playing Lau, so reading a comment that says "move X sucks" (paraphrasing) without reasons why doesn't help me as a Lau beginner.

This is not solely directed at you Srider. </div></div>

Well, some things are hard to quantify on paper. The doesn't track as well feel is hard to justify, but moves like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif go off axis much more often than 4. This is also one of the reason why /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is not as strong as it used to be. It was a really difficult move to evade correctly in 4, but in 5, it's easily evaded and the second hit doesn't track as before, making it a dangerous move to use against opponents that can read stance outside of combos.

4. DissMaster

i evade, then hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

In the good old days it did awesome damage and was a combo when the first punch was an mC.

Nowadays, If you want the automatic hit you need to do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and use your follow ups to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Why would you do this instead of just using evade then /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif?

So why do I use the dodge /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ?

Because it looks cool?

Nostalgia for VF4 Evo?

Just to show off?

Yes to all three, but it also combos if the person continues with a combo after you dodge or if the guy keeps attacking (MC in either case)

-and-

if the person is side turned, I think that the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will combo after the first punch hits.

5. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Ok, I didn't see a thread for this and I didn't want to start a brand new thread just for this question but I wanted to ask you and all other Lau experts out there:
    what do you like to do after Lau's 42P+G? I like to do P4PP but it doesn't connect all of the time and I cant help but wonder what other Lau players like to do after this throw.

6. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

^I duno what's optimum but I usually do 3K to make em all stupid again. I actually have a silly string where I do 6P+G (8 or 2), then dash and do that throw, then 3K lol. It doesn't work on many, or work more than once, but it's so satisfying when I do it.

7. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

On /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, just do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif until it stops working /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

8. Pai_Garu

I actually do not know when to hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif anymore... cause like you said... you might as well just do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif.

Risking that second hit for MC for it to combo is way too risky, anytime that the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will hit, but most of the time that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif hits, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will not. So what's the point really aside from certain combos.

9. DissMaster

What's the point?

How about being fancy, or does that count for nothing these days?

No, seriously, it is good for combo happy people or against certain moves. For example, if you dodge Akira's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif the right way, I think it would combo on mC, maybe regardless of whether the player does the follow up since you are at his side.

Or you can just ax the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and do punch followed by cookie or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and if the original /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif was an MC you can hit em w/ another /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

And if you just go backturned w/o checking if he's floated or whatever, well, it isn't so bad for Lau to have his back turned anyway - his back attacks are fun.

10. Shiznittles

Personally, I love a fancy Lau. I think the one complaint I hear is that most Lau's ( or any VF character ) are not played fancy enough. I love winning but I would much rather win with a flourish than basic stuff (low punches and whatnot).

Risks are cool and tend to lead to dramatic - talked about - moments. Ask Dissy Pants [/size]about my unbeatable reverse flipkick move from back turned.

-Shiz

PS Wearing a feather headdress will increase Lau's win percentage at least 7% from the opponent laughing at you so hard.

11. DissMaster

I considered retiring after you hit me with that move.

12. Pai_Garu

Well... there is fancy yeah.. but that move doesn't connect on mC anymore.

13. DissMaster

I think it does when when it hits from the side which means that it will sometimes after an evade, depending which move was evaded.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Ever since FT, Lau's standard guaranteed response for punishing after ducking a high attack has been /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif for the slam + combo.

Not sure about /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif on side hit, but it would be interesting if it was guaranteed. However, I don't know how easy it would be to hit check compared to the amount of delay time allowed (if any) to still be guaranteed.

If you get what I mean.

15. Shiznittles

I don't think it's guaranteed but it seems to hit about 60% of the time. I know that may seem risky *but* you must consider the effect of this move visually to understand the reason to use it.

Picture Lau rising from a crouch and flicking one hand upwards in a scooping motion (the standard and *deadly* lifting palm all opponents know and hate) THEN imagine if you will, Lau suddenly sweeping his <span style='font-size: 11pt'>opposing </span>hand upwards, fingers out, palm inwards as if lifting the lid of an invisible saucepan and screaming <span style='font-size: 11pt'>"VOILÀ!"</span>.

Seriously, most opponents stand if they're not hit for 10-11 frames stunned you would make such a strange circus like movement thus returning the frame advantage. (or they pummel you mercilessly for being so foolish). Either way - good times for someone. I've stood by many a time as Diss [/size]did this very thing only to follow with a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif to complete my delayed dirtnap.

I recommend you picking up Lau Myke[/size]. I think you'll like the ole codger.

-Shiz

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

What am I not seeing? On "paper" it actually looks like it got better in 5?</div></div>

1. Range and "duckability" of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is better in VF4 than VF5.

2. My memory is fuzzy as it's been a long time I've thought about VF stats, but it's something to do with the turn around frames in VF5 -- i.e. it takes longer to turn and guard so Lau's -6 in VF5 is actually worse than -7 in VF4.

17. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

I remember reading somewhere here that it takes 6 frames for you to turn around from backturn.

From what we tested, after guarding Lau's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, in FT /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif was guaranteed, in 5 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can be guarded.

18. Chibitox

Chibitox Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

P is guaranteed if Lau just hold G. But if you do a fuzzy-like input (hold down+ g then stand) you can avoid it.
    If you just hold down you won't be able to crouch under the throw so there's no real fuzzy possible.
    If you CD away from opponent you can crouch under thye throw, if you do that low P will hit you as well as mids, no fuzzy possible. Hence the best option against throw may be to do the reverse flip kick, it won't clash and you can combo for a good 60/70 damage, kind of a reverse nitaku tool.

66P+K is still strong ^^.

19. Happy_Friend

Happy_Friend Well-Known Member

Here's something that may have been covered elsewhere, but just in case it hasn't, here goes:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif are awesome low crushers that can be used from disadvantage but it is not always apparent which one is to be used when.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif kills low punches and gives a combo. It is one of my favorite moves. When used effectively, it can totally demoralize an opponent. If you are rushing them, and they are reporting to low punches to try and give themselves some room to breath and then you bust out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif it is excellent. Just don't fall inlove with the move b/c /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif floats it on hit.

There are two other drawbacks to the move that might not be apparent at first:

1. Sometimes it whiffs against certain low attacks. Don't ask me why, but Lion's (and most other characters') low sweeps are invulnerable to this move. As is Jacky's lame low fist.

2. At some smallish-medium disadvantages, it will get beat by low punch. For example, if you get an elbow blocked, low punch will beat your /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/uf.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif. Sad b/c it would be sweet if it didn't, especially since a lot of people will low punch after elbow knowing that it will beat most other moves and be counter if you did the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif

That's where /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif comes in. It can be used after blocked elbow and will crush low punches. And it will usually jump over elbows. That is nice. If your opponent starts using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif you can abare w/ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif + /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

With Lau, the time to stop attacking is never!

20. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Great stuff, thanks! Abare Lau ftw! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif