1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Top 10 Moves

Discussion in 'Vanessa' started by deliciousjay, Jun 8, 2012.

1. deliciousjay

deliciousjay New Member

Which are 10 moves to really focus on using this character?

Or some basic strategies to try to apply other than..do launchers into combos and try to counter hit them.

2. RadicalReactor

RadicalReactor Well-Known Member

In no particular order:

DS 3K: Essential for keeping the opponent out.
    DS KK: First K has good range and second K leaves opponent side turned (don't just spam -- hit confirm into your second hit).
    DS 3P+K: Sidestep linear attacks and punish with this as your combo starter for solid damage.
    DS 4P+K: CH leads to a float and it is safe on block.
    DS 1P+K: CH leads to a small combo (2p, kk) and it is safe on block.
    DS: G_2/8P: CH is a stomach crumple, which leads to decent damage. It can also be used to CH side steppers if you guess correctly.

In DS, I'd suggest paying attention to your opponent's aggression. Remember that VA has some good sabaki's, which you can use to score some damage. Of course, you don't want to rely on them too much because they won't score you much damage by themselves. VA gets the most damage out of CH combos, so reading your opponent is key.

This should definitely help get things started in DS. Of course, there's plenty more to be added, especially from her OS moveset (but I'm still dabbling in it myself!) [​IMG]

3. TeeZed

TeeZed Well-Known Member

This is just my personal favorites. Main was vanessa in vf5, getting back into her in vf5fs but it's hard.

Defensive stance

[3][K] OR [K][K]. [3][K] used to be better but with the frame changes in FS KK tends to be much better

[1][P] Low spamming opponent? Sabaki and decent advantage also goes under some highs, lovely move for stopping agressive opponents.

[6][6][K] Full circular mid offering great harassment at range, and great against a rising opponent, if they crouch OR sidestep, NOT as good as it was in VF5, seems to have a small hitbox but isn't punishable

[3][P][K]K: All parts can be delayed, the last part massively but does leave you open if the last part is blocked

[4][6][K][P] Sabaki against HP, MP, HE, EL, HK. That's a LOT of things to stop. I think if the first part hits on a CH it's a launch too for a small combo

Throws. Stopping throws is about the same for all characters ([4] Neutral and [6] [P]+:G) however The forward half circle throw does 65 damage, Back half circle 70, Also has low throws as well but only on defensive stance

[3][P]+[K] Semi Circular head crumple on any hit leading to around a 70 damage combo, great move.

[P]+[K][P] 2nd part can be delayed giving another head crumple

[1][K]+[G] Going into Intruder stance is a bit risky but if it hits you've got a full circular, low hit throw, normal throw and a mid as well as a low hit sabaki. The stance is good with enough practice

[4][P] Hits mid, moves you forward, advantage even on block, MASSIVE advantage on counter hit.

As someone already put, vanessa works best if you can read your opponent, predict right what they're going to do and you're gonna payoff big, in both offensive and defensive stance.

The benefit of the 2 stances (Other than the obvious complete style change) is the fact that if you know them both well enough, you can adapt your style on the fly to the person you're playing against, hence their obvious namings of Defensive and offensive stance. But don't be fooled, both can be played aggressively and defensively, but the appropriate stance would be more beneficial obviously.

You may also find that starting in defensive stance and staying in it while you learn vanessa is very helpful, her tools in DS are well balanced and teach you when to use which move and with enough practice will have you reading your opponents moves quite well.

Good luck with her as well, I'm just getting back into her but I remember so well why she was my main, every tool you could ever need BUT you will have to switch stances to get them [​IMG]

4. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

DS:

iws(instant while standing) P: 13 frames. A great move to dictate the behavior of your opponent and leads to a nice juggle/throw mix-up game on CH. Practice buffering it off of P and when 1P hits.

6K: Solid 15 frame hit-throw.

4P+K: -2 on block +1 on side block, huge advantage on hit easy juggle on CH, all at 14 frames.

3K: great poking tool at mid range. Nasty combos on side CH.

1P+K: Ducks highs, safe, Nice combo on CH.

6P3K/K+G: for when you anticipate side step. The 3 tracks if they hit a button too early and K+G gives massive frame advantage on CH.

2K+G: Don't abuse but when used right, Great range, baits 2P on hit if your opponent knows about it.

66K+G: 0 forward movement, knocks down on hit.

1P/46P,K: Sabaki's, son.

3P+K: Big damage juggle on hit.

Throws

6P+K+G

6P: 14 frames, baits 2p on block.

9P: Special high, what you use when you successfully bait 2P.

66K+G: Beast range and your primary tool to start a juggle when you side step your opponent

6K: On CH 6K,K,P,P guaranteed?

66P: Quick, Nice wall stagger.

3K: Good rang, safe, has a string that can catch steppers. Nice crumple on side CH.

6P+K: 14 frame move that knockdowns on hit which you can combo off of, Nuff said.

1P: A lot like DS 2 K+G except quicker and safer.

4P,K: Step killer, special high K as a bonus

P,3P: Crumple on CH. Keeps people honest.

66P+G

6P+K+G

Question: What's the best way to use DS (Hold G)2/8P? I've all but abandoned using it. It was much better in Vanilla.

5. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

OS, the True Stance

[9][P]. The SUPERMANessa attack. It's not perfect, the range is good but it's rather slow, so at max range you will get knocked out by lesser minds who try to range poke you by using attacks that don't have enough range and thus are quicker than your proper attack... It gives +frames on block, so free [6][P] against everyone. In theory it could be a mixup situation but most people can't recognize the situation and I can't blame them, so I just 6P afterwards.

[P] strings offer a few different built-in ways to deal with [2][P] so it's nice enough, in addition to simple mixup stuff against the more worthy opponents. Replace by the lonely [6][P] if you need a mid. Lonely because if you dare follow up with anything you might get [2][P]ed. On the other hand in that situation you can bait easy frame advantage and even a counter hit against the worse spammers who don't hit-check their automatic [2][P] routine.

[4][P], semi circular and not too slow with nice options afterwards.

[K][P]X/[3][K][P]X/[2][K][P]X/[6][K][K][P]X, completely unusable against 2P spammers but otherwise so nice. Two options give +frames on block.

[2][3][6][K] on CH is Danger, Hope, Trickery, Freedom, Death and other such beautiful things.

DS, the Stance With Moves That Look Different From Those In OS

[K][K] in case that you feel like either doing damage, poking at range, using a mid attack, using a circular attack, or some such very specific thing like throwing an attack out there just for the sake of throwing an attack out there because why not, you know, and other such specific reasons.
    It's a very niche move.

[6][P] strings for repetitive mid-range poking and simple mixups. Also half-circular. Replace by [P] strings when striking speed is required because Oh My God is it slow. You might as well use [6][K], which brings me to...

[6][K],[P]+[G]. Because attaining beauty is half the battle, the other half being style, which this hit-throw provides.
    Those who don't respect frames love it, that's why they keep taking it in the face and beg for more.

[4][6][K],[P] is the only attack that makes me NOT wonder “WHY am I in Defensive Stance right now?â€

[3][P]+[K] because sometimes executing a pointless move can miraculously yield results even though you don't really understand why it worked and you can't really care anymore because now you're busy executing the combo and thinking about which weight class finisher you're supposed to use against the poor bastard.
    At least it's guaranteed punishment against Goh's complete move list ([3][K][P] and [3][P][P]) if you're quick enough.

5 moves per stance, this is almost 75% of my game. Now I understand why my Vanessa feels somewhat underwhelming and stale... I need to experiment with the few more attacks that are available.

I use her attacks that give frame advantage on block as much as possible, because I think this is what her whole OS game revolves around.
    I didn't list all of them for the sake of making the list more interesting.
    At first it's a gimmick, and hopefully later it evolves into a solid mind game.
    When you don't abuse her frame advantage on block, Vanessa has nothing left. Slight exaggeration.

erdraug likes this.
  6. TeeZed

TeeZed Well-Known Member

Your post amused me greatly, and everything you said was true, but no love for DS? [​IMG]

7. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

My primary reason to use DS is to vary things up so that the other player's eyes don't bleed from watching the same few attacks from OS so many times. ...It's for my own eyes too.

My secondary reason is when I'm desperate and I really need that [4][6][K][P] to slow them down a little bit so that they agree to let me go back to OS and poke them in peace.
    And thanks! [​IMG]

8. Chefboy_OB

Chefboy_OB Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Truewiseman
    Boomerang hook is amazing. Your assessment of that move was bad and you should feel bad. =P

9. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

First of all it's a DS move, therefore it is inferior.
    But even with that aside, I sometimes use it after a successful evade and it's great when it works, but sometimes it's too slow to punish...
    If I was a better player maybe I could use it better. So far it gave me a few wins but it feels like a coin toss.

I think it is a nice move when you expect a throw and want to crush that...

10. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    It also tracks to one side, so it can be pretty useful if you get a read on when and how they like to evade.

11. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

My assessment from watching Kaibutsu and Morimoto Leotard ad nauseum + my own scrubby experience (not a top 10, just top moves):

DS

3K Ridonkulous range. Free massive combo on backdash hit (6P+K+G > OS followup)

1P I heard you like to mash 2P, so here's me spamming this shit over and over, until you block/evade, and then I throw you.

2K+G Do it properly when the wall is on her backside, so you hit opponent, and he gets wall staggered. Follow with 3K to Side Crumple, swap to OS, 1K+G, etc. Fun times. Full circular low with good range. I like it.

1P+K Evades highs, free easy combo on CH.

33P (wsP) on CH follow up with another 33P to juggle, then combo. Basically: crouch jab. Did it hit? Neutral stick P. Did it stagger? 33P > combo.

9+K+G Avoids lows, good for okizeme, half circular. Goes into intercept shenanigans. Intercept is the best stance in the game. K is a mid with frame advantage on block. 2K looks basically the same, is faster, but has no frame advantage on block (they can't tell, it looks the same, pretty much), P+K sabakis lows, P+G throws them when they're mindfucked or they try to evade, and P+G on 2K hit is another beautiful hit-throw. Intercept is beautiful. Abuse it. It's not scrubby, watch the top vanessa players. It should be used. Get into the habit of doing it from Face Up Feet Towards (2P+K+G).

66K+G after evade (it's a shittier version of OS version, since it hardly moves her forward in DS, but still side crumples on side hit). Use this after evades on in DS. 3K for range along with

66K Full Circular with good range.

Actually, I'm going to stop for now with the DS list. There are several more moves, and I wouldn't end this shit.

So, OS.

66P Bam.

P+KP two mids, ETEG on block. Delay slightly to catch evaders. I spam this shit way too much

9P. Use it the same way you'd use DS 1P. It ignores lows and is special High, so it hits crouching attacks (like 2P)

7GK Gay gimmicky beautiful thing. Always followup staggers (this and others) with 66KK to launch them into 2KPK or something. Explore that in training mode.

2K+G from long range (nice low, buffer P+G as if it was going to hit, just in case)

66K+G for the ridiculous range

6PK on CH launches into 2KPK (followup is character specific)

9K on their wakeup. Practise setups in training mode. Make opponent wakeup with a medium rising attack. Throw them with various throws, and practise timing for OM > 9K. After P+G, for example, you can do 2 OMs and followup with 9K. It's not easy to time, but the reward is great. Practise that shit. Online it's useless since timing sucks online.

1P her best OS low. Evades highs, moves forward.

KP6K (usual shenanigans)

_6K Get frame advantage, do this, take away 100+. Laugh.

One of the most useless Vanessa moves: OS 6P+K.
    Avoid using that shit like the plague. It's an elbow speed high (14f) that's -6 on block and linear. Followups suck for non-lightweights.

Also, remember DS 3P+K? It's cool when you got frame advantage, but you're better of using P+KP and hoping for a counterhit. Crumples the same way, same followups.

Acebreaker loves DS.
    Pekora and Kaibutsu love OS.
    Morimoto Leotard uses both 50/50.

They each play very similarly, and sometimes have a burst of creativity. Vanessa is one of the few characters you can literally play completely different from someone else. So you can pretty much ignore everything I said above, and make the shitty moves work just fine, while ignoring the moves I consider great.

12. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    No.

Use it at +14-15 (after blocking a launcher, for example). You would need to be insane to not uses this move at all. While it isn`t the best high, elbow(ish) class punisher, it is still a very good attack.

Akira`s [4][6][P], Brad [6][P]+[K], Blaze [​IMG][6][P]+[K], Goh [4][6][P], Lau [4][6][P], Pai [K], Taka [P]+[K], Wolf [4][P] all share many things in common, they`re fucking excellent tools. OS [6][P]+[K] is no different.

13. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

But, but... sometimes they recover low, and it whiffs... =(

Also, the range is so miserable that most -15 stuff ends up too far away for it to hit.
    But the real problem is blocked lows. They can't be punished with that, several of them. That's why I tend to punish stuff with some natural combos, or simply half circular non punishers, so just in case they evade, I'll hit them anyway.

Another alternative is throwing.

Also, Akira's 46P seems to me like a world ahead in terms of usefulness.
    In that... say... it's 14f, and +1 on block.
    Probably a minor difference [​IMG]

14. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    No. You don't use highs to punish low recovery moves. Mids, yes, special highs too.

Use [6][P][K] versus blocked lows. Knocks down eveyone but Taka.

[6][P]+[K] range is good enough. You just need to know when to use it after blocking certain moves. It will lead to better guaranteed damage than just using strings or half circulars, because as good as the potential damage of setting up a [6_][K] versus a -15 opponent is a decent prospect, it is only if they're dumb enough to abare or always step in the same direction. There are too many factors. First learn where you can get all of your free damage, and then if you truly can read your opponent, exploit them further.

Also Akira is just unfair.

15. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

I've been using 6PK to punish everything. 2KPK afterwards is an easy combo, and I still dislike the damage from 6P+K. I'll see if I can get it into my game.

Thanks Sebo.

16. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

That is not an actual combo, the opponent can tech roll and the [2][K][P][K] will not hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and I still dislike the damage from 6P+K. I'll see if I can get it into my game.</div></div>[6][P]+[K] is one the best standing 14 frame punishers in the entire game and the damage is awesome for what it is. If you learn to consistently punish -14 (and worse) moves with this, your opponents will fear spamming launchers on you.

17. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

[6][P]+[K] is one the best standing 14 frame punishers in the entire game and the damage is awesome for what it is. If you learn to consistently punish -14 (and worse) moves with this, your opponents will fear spamming launchers on you. </div></div>

It IS an actual combo on a vast portion of the cast if you do it well enough. I know a green combo counter when I see one, thank you very much [​IMG]

18. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

No, it does not even connect on Eileen if you have tech rolling on.

Could you please post a video of this magical way of getting it to connect?

19. Plume

Plume Well-Known Member

Ohhhh nevermind, I have re-read the past posts.

20. Ribx

Ribx Well-Known Member

I can. But I'm not sure it's necessary =|
    Just tell me when you're available, I'll link you my stream, and show it to you. Faster than uploading a video on purpose to prove a bnb works.

Also, just because it doesn't work on eileen (which I'm not testing right now), doesn't mean it won't work on heavier characters.

I can pretty much guarantee you it'll work on Lau and several others. Hit 6PK on CH, it'll float, then do 2KPK. There's nothing to it.